Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default xbox 360 and NHL 08 Problems

Anyone else having freezing issues with their xbox? My brother has gone through about 4 machines and 4 copies of NHL 08. Yesterday a new box worked for 30 minutes and died. He is now considering a PS3.

Anyone have similar experiences?
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:56 PM   #2
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've had a few laggy games, but the server seemed to noticeably improve once the new year started. Overall, I think it works just fine (Xbox user).

My main problem is I spent 2 months (I've played about ~120 games online) climbing the ladder rankings, then I stopped playing for a few weeks and now I lose 4/5 instead of winning 7/8
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:07 PM   #3
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

4 XBOX 360 consoles?

Hell, I don't know, maybe run them through a UPS. Might be something strange with your electricity that is hitting Microsoft products for some reason.
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
Prototype

Exp:

I get a message stating that the disc is dirty, or that it can't read from disc. It pisses me off. Only with my XBOX and NHL08. Every other game is fine.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:31 PM   #5
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

I recently turned my Xbox on, put in a Rome DVD and promptly faced a flashing red circle (just one quarter) and a message saying there had been a system error, "call Xbox Support".

After dropping a load in my pants, I turned the system off, removed the disc, booted to the live screen and put the DVD back in. No problems.

Just like MS Windows!
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:33 PM   #6
foofighter15
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
I recently turned my Xbox on, put in a Rome DVD and promptly faced a flashing red circle (just one quarter) and a message saying there had been a system error, "call Xbox Support".

After dropping a load in my pants, I turned the system off, removed the disc, booted to the live screen and put the DVD back in. No problems.

Just like MS Windows!
that's how it begins. slowly but surely its going to continue and increase how often it happens, and eventually you'll give in, call, and they will tell you to send it in
foofighter15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:53 PM   #7
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

i have had no problems with my machine. knock on wood. had it since dec 2006
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:12 PM   #8
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prottotype View Post
I get a message stating that the disc is dirty, or that it can't read from disc. It pisses me off. Only with my XBOX and NHL08. Every other game is fine.

I get this quite often also. Most commonly with nhl07/08 but also dead rising and a couple other games, thinking of sending it back and getting a new one.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 05:01 PM   #9
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just had the RROD 8.5 seconds into GH3. What a piss off. Stuttering and freezing is a sure sign of impending doom.

Luckily the store took it back and I'm up an running after 3 days. My plan is to increase cooling - apparently the solder used to secure the graphics processor is brittle, and the toasty X360 + Xclamps cause this to break after a while.

I'm going to put in a Talismoon Whisper 12V fan to replace the 5V ones (supposedly not much louder) and I'm going to redo the heatsinks in Arctic Silver. Newer "falcon" X360's use a 65nm process and have better cooling - hopefully this will improve the abysmal 1 in 3 failure rate.

So it's a hardware thing, not so much a software thing. But it still sucks it's even an issue.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 05:04 PM   #10
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prottotype View Post
I get this with NHL08 too. Usually right in the middle of a close game. It REALLY pisses me off as well. I have come across the same problem with Halo 3 and Fifa08 as well but nowhere near as often.

I was going to try cleaning the console with a cleaning disc. Anybody ever try that?
Old 01-18-2008, 11:39 PM   #11
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was getting the "Disc is Dirty" error a lot, and then after a month or so, I got the RROD. I actually spoke to a fairly cool guy at Microsoft, and he told me that certain games put a lot of strain on the xbox, and heat it up big time. It heats up so much that some parts expand slightly, lifting the laser that reads the DVD and results in this error. Sooner or later, this heating and cooling will cause your xbox to die. Since I got my replacement, I haven't had this happen once....knock on wood.

No clue if this is fact or not, just passing along what random 1st level xbox support dude told me. Xbox 360 heat issues are well documented, so it sounds plausable at least.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:16 PM   #12
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
It crashes alot especially in the first game, after that its pretty good. The PS3 hockey is awful though, because crashy is better that epilecticky.
Have you played it or just read reviews? I've played both and honestly couldn't really see that much of a difference. The difference is there, just not as dramatic as many claim it to be (my opinion).

My roomates xbox started to die and ultimately did die on nhl 07. He ended up getting a ps3 and has been very pleased with the hockey thus far.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 01:14 PM   #13
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

i cant for the life of me figure out how these guys can check me everytime i touch the puck and i cant even come close to touching them..... my record was 2-12 but now i was gotten it up to 12-14 but still its always one goal games and im always up by like 3 and they get a couple of really soft goals like one guy shot from the center line and it 5- holed kipper with no traffic in front at all........ but i do get alot of choppy games it really pisses me off.... but lately i have been getting alot of connection problems on live with call of duty 4
nickerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:01 PM   #14
Ro
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I just recently started playing this game online again, and have been experiencing some frustrating freezing/glitch/resetting issues in-game when playing someone over Xbox Live. Like this:

Anyone else experiencing this? Any solutions?
Ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:11 PM   #15
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've had that happen a couple times on ps3 also. I think it's just a bad connection error. Anyways, even though 08 is a big improvement over their past games it's still buggy as hell.
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:53 PM   #16
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Well documented NHL08 problem. I haven't played that game in months and I'm not buying EA products where possible.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:26 PM   #17
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
WE tried it for one evening at it was choppy, i.e. not smooth animation, it was uncomfortable to play, thought it was the machine or faulty disc but after reading some reviews they had the same problem. It was like the first few versions of PC EA Hockey if your computer was underpowered. Choppy, which is funny for PS3. The menu system seemed better. I don;t think it is a PS3 problem, but an EA problem. Didn't someone say they put far less resources into the PS3 version as opposed to the XBOX one?
They did have a harder time with the ps3 version. It was shortly after the release that ea came out and announced that they've pretty much figured it out a little better and all games will have the same framerate on both consoles. Unfortunately too late for nhl 08 though.

Framerate is funny, some people notice it and some people (like me) don't as much.

Unfortunately nhl 08 is simply glitchy. Hopefully ea spends more time ironing out 09.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:31 PM   #18
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro View Post
I just recently started playing this game online again, and have been experiencing some frustrating freezing/glitch/resetting issues in-game when playing someone over Xbox Live. Like this:

Anyone else experiencing this? Any solutions?
That is unreal, they should refund your purchase price with that game!
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:51 AM   #19
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
That is unreal, they should refund your purchase price with that game!
Wouldn't the problem be with Ro's Xbox though? I mean, I have played this game thousands of times and never seen this happen. The game itself is identical, so the only difference is the hardware.

I'm not sticking up for EA or anything. Just saying if a million people buy the game and only a few hundred have this problem, how could it be the game's fault?
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:53 AM   #20
Prototype

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
I was getting the "Disc is Dirty" error a lot, and then after a month or so, I got the RROD. I actually spoke to a fairly cool guy at Microsoft, and he told me that certain games put a lot of strain on the xbox, and heat it up big time. It heats up so much that some parts expand slightly, lifting the laser that reads the DVD and results in this error. Sooner or later, this heating and cooling will cause your xbox to die. Since I got my replacement, I haven't had this happen once....knock on wood.

No clue if this is fact or not, just passing along what random 1st level xbox support dude told me. Xbox 360 heat issues are well documented, so it sounds plausable at least.
For what it's worth, the exact same thing happened to me, other than getting a 'cool' guy at Microsoft. Seems like the people I talk to are more about making sure all cords are connected.