Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2008, 09:57 PM   #1
impresso
One of the Nine

Exp:
Default phpBB

I am currently trying to set up a forum for my Intramurals hockey team. I am planning on using phpBB as my forum software but am having difficulties uploading it to the website. My problem is with the database information. I am not sure how to set it up and I can't get any further in the installation without it. I tried calling my web domain for the database information but they told me that I had to set up a database myself. Apparently my webspace offers MySQL as their databasing type.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:06 PM   #2
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

There should be an area in the hosting control panel that should let you create and delete databases (and probably database users and passwords as well). Some hosts only have one database for you and give you that info, but if they said you can create it there should be something in the control panel area.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:21 PM   #3
impresso
One of the Nine

Exp:

Alright, so I figured out how to actually create the database but now that I have it created I am still having struggles. It gives me the following error when I try to continue the install and I know my password information is correct.
Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
Old 06-11-2008, 11:55 PM   #4
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Could be a few things.. could be the username or password is incorrect, so triple check that to make sure... also when it asks for the mysql host, it's most likely "localhost" unless they tell you a different IP address to use for the mysql server. It's not usually your domain name.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:27 AM   #5
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

yeah, it's trying to connect to the localhost database (usually via a socket connection as indicated by that message). You'll need to change the configuration file (going off memory) to point at your MySQL database (likely on a different URL).

http://www.phpbb.com/support/documen...stallation.php

If you can get to the screen on the tutorial, change the "Database server hostname" field to the one you get from your hosting company. You'll also need to have a user and a database setup for phpBB to use.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:14 PM   #6
impresso
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
yeah, it's trying to connect to the localhost database (usually via a socket connection as indicated by that message). You'll need to change the configuration file (going off memory) to point at your MySQL database (likely on a different URL).

http://www.phpbb.com/support/documen...stallation.php

If you can get to the screen on the tutorial, change the "Database server hostname" field to the one you get from your hosting company. You'll also need to have a user and a database setup for phpBB to use.
Thank you very much llama64 and photon. That did the trick.