Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2008, 10:03 PM   #1
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default iPod or iTouch

I'm looking at getting an iPod this summer, and am looking for some input.

At first I was going to buy an 80Gb Classic, but then I started worrying about the physical harddrive in those models. I'm liking the idea of a flash based unit, such as the Nano or the iTouch.

Primary uses will be in the car (iPod interface) and in my hobby space downstairs. I like the sexyness of the iTouch, but am not sure beyond that. Is there more to it, or is it more or less a summer fling with a high prized floozy?
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:17 PM   #2
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

The iTouch has one distinct advantage. Wifi. If you have or can set up Wifi internet in your house you can surf on it in real time, from your bed or whatever. It's good for coffee shops, airports, libraries, malls, chapters etc too if you need a CP fix .

On the other hand, if you need the space of the 80GB Classic you can always get an extra warranty for like $60 that will cover the hard drive.
alltherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:17 AM   #3
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The iPod Touch is less suitable for a car. With the iPod Classics and the Nano, you can feel your way around the interface to skip tracks, adjust volume etc. With the Touch, you have to look at the unit to find the controls, which isn't so great on the Deerfoot.

-Scott
Old 06-05-2008, 09:41 AM   #4
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

The Touch... if you know how to hack it properly, you can turn it into a little tiny MacBook.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:48 AM   #5
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just for the capacity I'd say the Classic. I don't worry about the hard drive in mine, because I'm not the type to drop things/break things. Of course, with the hard drive (and size), you can't run with it. But I think the instruction manual allows "brisk walking".
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:34 AM   #6
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
The iPod Touch is less suitable for a car. With the iPod Classics and the Nano, you can feel your way around the interface to skip tracks, adjust volume etc. With the Touch, you have to look at the unit to find the controls, which isn't so great on the Deerfoot.

-Scott
If you have a proper iPod interface, you can control it from your steering wheel or deck buttons.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:04 AM   #7
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I went with the classic for capacity reasons. The touch is sexier than hell, but I needed the space for music and movies.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:07 AM   #8
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have the 80g classic. My wife has the 32g touch. I would prefer it the other way around. The touch is cool
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:17 AM   #9
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for all the input thus far. Still a difficult choice with the sexyness of the Touch. How usable is the screen for browsing places like CP?

What are the chances of the 32 Gb units going down in price once the iPhone hits this summer?
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:06 PM   #10
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Thanks for all the input thus far. Still a difficult choice with the sexyness of the Touch. How usable is the screen for browsing places like CP?

What are the chances of the 32 Gb units going down in price once the iPhone hits this summer?
The Safari browser on the Touch is insanely nice. It's the very first portable internet browser/device combo I've seen that moves beyond the realm of "gimmick."

(and I've seen the various Opera mobile, etc, variations on phones, etc)
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:47 PM   #11
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I've only seen the safari browser on an iphone and it was a real "i want this" moment. I imagine the browser is the same for the two devices.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:31 PM   #12
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Browsing cp is great. The double tap brings the threads in at a readable size on the fist tap.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:36 PM   #13
IgnitedSoul
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well, I have an older genereation 30 gig iPod (27.8 gigs, technically) and I've got 4077 songs, 112 videos (including 2 hockey games), and 6414 pictures on it, 9 games (including the ones it came with), and I've still got 5.7 gigs of space left.

So my point is, as appealing as 80 gigs sound, you'd need a LOT of stuff to fill it up, I think, and if you were willing to dish out the money for a 32 gig iPod touch, I'd say that'd be plenty, and the way to go! (At the same time, I really don't know how much you actually want to put on it.)

Maybe it's just because I want a Touch so bad... still, like everyone's said, it's way more gorgeous!
IgnitedSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:43 PM   #14
@theCBE
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I had a similar debate over xmas.. wanted the video for more space. Wanted the touch because its so freaking cool.

Went with the touch and I am extremely happy with my decision, the browsing is pretty sweet and watching video's is good too. Battery life starting to decrease... but I think thats pretty much the case with all ipods.
@theCBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:01 PM   #15
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It depends on what you want to do with it. If it is primarily for music and you need lots of storage space then a classic will do the trick. If it is something that you want to watch a lot of movies on and surf the web on then a Touch will be your best bet.

My advice is don't base your purchase on sexiness or features alone. Make a list of things that you are going to actually use it for and base your purchase off of that.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:19 PM   #16
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

The zoom in zoom out action on the iPod Touch is reason enough to get it. I could do that all day...
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:36 PM   #17
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:
Thumbs up

I had the ipod touch almost instantly after it became avalible!
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...ght=ipod+touch

It's my first ipod, and I really like it. It's wonderful having the Internet on such a tiny device, and the Safari browser is quite easy to use.

The 8GB touch has so little room, it's not worth it. But the 16 or 32 GB versions are surprisinly roomy. My 16GB has about 30 CDs ripped at 320kbps, 300 photos and a couple movies. I still have about 7 GB left!

As well, Apple is about to allow third party programs, which will really improve the functionality of the ipod touch!

So, if you don't have a large music collection, and you don't have your heart set on loseless audio, go with the ipod touch!
Old 06-09-2008, 09:32 AM   #18
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have the 32GB touch and I wouldnt trade it for anything. Safari is great for surfing I just wish there was more free public wifi around calgary.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:58 PM   #19
arsenal
Director of the HFBI

Exp:

If you are on rogers or fido, forget the touch, wait a month and get an iphone.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:46 PM   #20
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I have the 32GB touch and I wouldnt trade it for anything. Safari is great for surfing I just wish there was more free public wifi around calgary.
Given that online liability is getting to be a looming problem and given how sensitive most people in Calgary are to the lawyers call, I foresee more free public wifi in the future. Tis a shame really.

The one flaw with the iPod Touch is that it's slow as hell at interpreting Javascript. If you try to open up anything that uses a decent amount of JS, you're going to be there for a while. A good example of this is http://www.panic.com/coda/
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote