Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #1
FFR
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Playstation3

I did a quick search and nothing came up...but please direct me if I have missed something.

Is the PS3 able to play PS2 games? I have heard multiple answers regarding this. I have a swack of PS2 games that I'd love to be able to play, but I need to know if PS3 will have that capability or not.

Anyone know?
FFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:04 PM   #2
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

You'll have to get the 80GB PS3, if you want to play PS2 games.

(Or the older 60GB one, which is hard to find... I'd still recommend the 80GB anyway.)
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Depends on the version. The 20GB and 60GB PS3 can play all games since it has the PS2 hardware chip in it. The 80GB (and 60GB European) version can play some games through emulation. The 80GB version can play some games through emulation.

If you want full backwards compatibility, you'll have to find a 60GB version. They aren't being produced anymore, so you'll have to buy used or find a store with one left over.

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

You can check your specific games with the different versions there.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:45 PM   #4
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Basically the 40 gig is the only one that flat-out will not play ps2 games. Definitely consult the support list that photon mentioned before making your decision.

If metal gear solid 4 interests you there is a bundle coming out next week when the game releases (thursday). You get an 80 gig ps3, a dualshock 3 controller (not the crappy sixaxis that comes with the rest) and a copy of the game. I'm pretty sure the price is the same as the standard 80 gig unit. Not sure how easy this bundle will be to find, but it will be out there.

Edit: Here it is

Last edited by Russic; 06-06-2008 at 04:03 PM.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:58 PM   #5
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

The first release ones are the ones you need because they have the PS2 actually built in (the emotion engine).

They took it out later to save costs and do it via emulation which is hit and miss.

But nobody I know with a PS3 uses it to play PS2 games because quite frankly, most PS2 games look like crap through a PS3 and modern HDTVs.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:12 PM   #6
FFR
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
The first release ones are the ones you need because they have the PS2 actually built in (the emotion engine).

They took it out later to save costs and do it via emulation which is hit and miss.

But nobody I know with a PS3 uses it to play PS2 games because quite frankly, most PS2 games look like crap through a PS3 and modern HDTVs.
Well, you don't know me and I'm doing it differently. I don't have a PS2. I only have the games becuase when I moved out, I took my games, but it was my brother's PS2. At this point, I want a PS3. So instead of buying a PS3 and a PS2, I want a PS3 that can play both. I'm not a hardcore gamer. Frankly, I don't care about high definition or graphics. The games I play rely on neither. But thanks for the input
FFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:24 PM   #7
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post

I use my 80GB PS3 to play FF12 and Dragon Warrior 8 on my 42" plasma, and they look great! The PS3 actually upscales PS2 games (just like it does for standard DVDs).

I've even played FF9 on it, which also looked great.

Maybe it was just how you had yours set up? I know I had to fiddle with some options, like PS2/PSX smoothing, etc.

Last edited by FanIn80; 06-08-2008 at 02:28 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote