Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-29-2019, 01:51 PM   #801
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I've always really liked Mark Kilam for some reason, but last years Grey Cup really cemented that. Not just the punt return TD or the forced fumble on the Red Black's punt return. After the game, he was the only person from the Stampeder's organization to come around and shake hands or high five the fans that were waiting around (we all thought the team might do a victory lap with the Cup). He even talked to everyone for a few seconds while he was doing that. Just a stand-up guy and I am so happy he's part of the Stampeder's organization.
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stazzy33 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 01:57 PM   #802
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazzy33 View Post
I've always really liked Mark Kilam for some reason, but last years Grey Cup really cemented that. Not just the punt return TD or the forced fumble on the Red Black's punt return. After the game, he was the only person from the Stampeder's organization to come around and shake hands or high five the fans that were waiting around (we all thought the team might do a victory lap with the Cup). He even talked to everyone for a few seconds while he was doing that. Just a stand-up guy and I am so happy he's part of the Stampeder's organization.

He was one of the first members of the Stamps coaching staff to come on our podcast and he was a great interview.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:50 AM   #803
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Old 05-31-2019, 09:51 AM   #804
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

I know it’s just pre-season, but damn it feels nice knowing that we get to go to McMahon tonight
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:52 AM   #805
lambeburger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://twitter.com/calstampeders/st...78989483945986
lambeburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:01 PM   #806
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe don’t leave for the stadium until after 5:45.

https://www.stampeders.com/2019/05/3...ky-conditions/

Quote:
A decision on the status of the game will be made at approximately 5:45 p.m.

For fans who have already made the decision to not attend tonight’s game or are considering not attending regardless of the decision to proceed, every ticket issued for tonight’s game is eligible to be exchanged for a future 2019 Stampeders regular-season home game.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:34 PM   #807
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, now I hope they don't cancel tonight:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/two-fe...game-1.4446448

Quote:
It might only be a CFL exhibition game, but it will be a historic first for Emily Clarke and Georgina Paull.

The two will become the first female officials to work in a CFL game when the Calgary Stampeders host the Saskatchewan Roughriders at McMahon Stadium. Clarke, 30, of Dundas, Ont., will serve as a side judge while Paull, a 31-year-old Montreal native, will be a line judge.

"It's definitely a big moment for both of us, the league and females in general moving forward with football be it in a coaching or officiating capacity," Clarke said during a telephone interview. "I'm very excited about it.

"I'm excited about where it might take me and where it might take other females in the sport."

Paul Hackwood, the CFL's senior director of officials, said the two women were both on the league's top-30 prospects list and among the top performers at its pre-season officials camp.

"It was them, they earned this," Hackwood said. "We're really excited to get them on the field.

"We're actively trying to promote women in officiating because there's been a void. We're hopeful now that two have made it to the field here, others will see it and we'll get more signing up at the amateur level, the trickle-down effect."

Paull agrees.

"Gosh, I really do hope it gets more females into this," she said. "I'm not sure why there's not many females specifically officiating football because we have a lot in basketball now, the same with soccer and hockey.

"But for some reason football hasn't seemed to get there so I think this might really help."

Old 05-31-2019, 04:37 PM   #808
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

I have to believe they will play....things are starting to clear up now.

However, if they deem it unhealthy for the players then the union has a duty to protect players. I assume they are part of this process through each teams reps.

I think waiting that late until deciding is quite unfair for the fans however. I know some guys that have already been up there for a couple hours and many more that like to be there at least an hour and a half before kickoff.

If there is any real possibility the game could be cancelled, then that should be done several hours before the start...noon would have been a good cut off.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:41 PM   #809
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

So i just checked their twitter feed...seems many are unhappy with the decision to wait this long as well.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1134579811358191616
Old 05-31-2019, 04:50 PM   #810
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on the amount of smoke still visible downtown, I'd be surprised if the game goes ahead. Perhaps it's a little clearer outside the core.

I appreciate fans want to tailgate and get the "full" experience but (i) it's a pre-season game, and (ii) I think they expected the air quality would be much more improved, and 5:45 is basically the last chance to pull the pin. I feel bad for the rookies and players trying to make the team -- I wonder if they try to do a "mock scrimmage" against Saskatchewan tomorrow if things happen to clear up overnight...

According to this, Air Quality is still a 10+ and not expected to change later tonight: https://weather.gc.ca/airquality/pages/abaq-002_e.html

EDIT: And as I look outside now I actually see a slight improvement. Still dicey for a 7:00 pm kickoff though...

Last edited by tvp2003; 05-31-2019 at 05:04 PM.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:03 PM   #811
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

I just tweeted Danny Austin and asked him what his gut feeling was.........

Quote:
It's honestly impossible to say.
I do hope that if there's even the slightest risk to player health, they don't play
So yeah...the more i look at it the more im leaning to not playing, but again this decision should have been made hours ago.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:05 PM   #812
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Weather Network said it's supposed to start raining at 5:30 for a bit. I wonder how accurate that is.

Old 05-31-2019, 05:21 PM   #813
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

@TSNDaveNaylor:
The @CFL confirms the @MTLAlouettes have been sold to the league. Eight other teams have been financing the team for weeks and are committed to do so until new owners can be found. Official end to 22-year run by Bob Wetenhall. #CFL #Als

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:27 PM   #814
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
@TSNDaveNaylor:
The @CFL confirms the @MTLAlouettes have been sold to the league. Eight other teams have been financing the team for weeks and are committed to do so until new owners can be found. Official end to 22-year run by Bob Wetenhall. #CFL #Als
Wow...that is never good news in a league this small.

Havent been following this real close, are there potential buyers already or is this one of those "we will find someone local" that almost exclusively ends up in an even worse situation?
Old 05-31-2019, 05:53 PM   #815
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Game on!

Quote:
The
@calstampeders
game set for 7 p.m. tonight is a go! The smoke won't be hampering fans' view of the game.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:54 PM   #816
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I live in the NW and the air seems quite reasonable right now. Wondering if we see kickoff postponed; if they were going to cancel the game outright I think they would have decided by now.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:01 PM   #817
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Not official yet but the team has not opened the gates although its been said its a go on the CFL and Sun twitters/websites...this is turning into a bit of a boondoggle.

5:45 is not 6:05.

Terrible PR.

OK..gates have opened now....so its almost assuredly going to happen.

Last edited by transplant99; 05-31-2019 at 06:04 PM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to transplant99 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 06:16 PM   #818
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Not official yet but the team has not opened the gates although its been said its a go on the CFL and Sun twitters/websites...this is turning into a bit of a boondoggle.

5:45 is not 6:05.

Terrible PR.

OK..gates have opened now....so its almost assuredly going to happen.
still no official decision on their website/twitter, despite them claiming to monitor the situation

indeed, this is some terrible PR
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:18 PM   #819
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
still no official decision on their website/twitter, despite them claiming to monitor the situation

indeed, this is some terrible PR

The best confirmation i heard was from the director of live events for TSN who has stated the game is on.

Amateur hour though, no question.

Apparently now...game is delayed to 7:30?

What a debacle.

Quote:
Danny Austin
@DannyAustin_9
·
1m
730 kickoff here at McMahon, not 7

Last edited by transplant99; 05-31-2019 at 06:22 PM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:18 PM   #820
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like kick off moved to 7:30

https://twitter.com/user/status/1134614740934651904

The Following User Says Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post: