Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Travis Munroe | RealtorŪ & Property Manager
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:
Default UPDATE: Might not be such a GREAT DEAL ON CONDO 17th Avenue Downtown

UPDATE
Nothing has sold in this complex since March of 2010. It also appears that there is an active or future special assessment that will be $10,000 +. I do not have the condo documents on me to verify the financials of this building however these would need to be reviewed to still call this a great deal.
The special assessment can always be factored into the purchase price or paid by the seller. It is important to see if the assessment looks to be a 1 time thing or the start of snowball effect created by poor budgeting.

#408 1800 14A St SW
Modern 947 sq ft top floor 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom loft located on the corner of 17th avenue and 14th st SW. 16.5 ft ceilings, 420 sq ft patio (with additional secure storage), in suite laundry, heated parking stall and fireplace.
-Foreclosure priced at $259,900. Just came on the market. City Assessment is 320k.
-I have been in this complex before and the landscaping is remarkable. Everything from water fountains to gated access gives this property a very prestigious feel.

Anyone want to go take a look?

Check it out:
http://abmls.mlxchange.com/Pub/Email...11&s=ALB&t=ALB

-Developers website: http://www.prismdevelopments.com/con...ella-vista.htm

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com

Last edited by Travis Munroe; 02-24-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
lucky1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

this is a nice place.......already in pending status....I knew it wouldnt last until I get back :-(
Old 02-15-2011, 09:19 AM   #3
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great location too!

More photos on Flickr
Old 02-24-2011, 09:40 PM   #4
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

updated!

info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 02-25-2011, 07:31 AM   #5
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ouch, a special assessment of $10,000+? No thanks.

When I was president of our board at arriVa we had to issue a special assessment to complete construction work left outstanding by Torode and company (roof, roof anchor equipment, construction clean of exterior windows, a few other items). The funny thing was when people found out how much it would cost them they were actually surprised that it was so little (~$2500 unit), everyone was expecting massive bills to complete the work!
Old 02-25-2011, 09:38 AM   #6
Knut

Exp:

About 3 months after I bought my condo I got a special assessment of 3,500 to do roof repairs..., Fuuuuuuuuuu

The development company that refurbished the building basically outright lied on the condo docs saying that it would be 10 years before a roof repair is required. Our condo board was told that there was no point in pursuing any legal action as they are pretty lawyered up abd Lawyer fee's would likely exceed any settlement.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post

When I was president of our board at arriVa we had to issue a special assessment to complete construction work left outstanding by Torode and company (roof, roof anchor equipment, construction clean of exterior windows, a few other items). The funny thing was when people found out how much it would cost them they were actually surprised that it was so little (~$2500 unit), everyone was expecting massive bills to complete the work!

I sold a unit @ this time in the complex and recall the special assessment being at least double that. I thought it was something like 3 installments in the price range of $2500. Either way, many condo owners are faced with a special assessment. All you can do to protect yourself is ensure the board is in good financial standing and review all condo documents.

info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 02-25-2011, 10:59 AM   #8
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe it was, cost per unit was also figured out by the unit factors, so some of the larger units were definitely paying more. I believe it was 2 installments, and residents had about 3 months heads-up before the first payment came due. We tried to make the process as painless as possible.

Of course had Torode not imploded all of this work would have been completed by him and we wouldn't have had to play construction company to finish the outstanding work.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #9
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

Not to mention that a few thousand dollars on a half million dollar condo + is not going to hurt someone as much as someone who may have just bought a POV starter unit.
I need to sell the unit I have listed to control close to 10% of the arriva sales....know of any friends looking to be close to you lol?

info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 02-25-2011, 12:17 PM   #10
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor 1 View Post
Not to mention that a few thousand dollars on a half million dollar condo + is not going to hurt someone as much as someone who may have just bought a POV starter unit.
I need to sell the unit I have listed to control close to 10% of the arriva sales....know of any friends looking to be close to you lol?
Sadly none that can afford one, or that aren't having kids and think the burbs are where they must be (even though we are living with our 20 month old just fine in our place).
Old 02-25-2011, 07:07 PM   #11
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Actually (from my discussion with a friend that lives in the building) the special assessment is actually the first of several over the course of the next few years.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #12
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Actually (from my discussion with a friend that lives in the building) the special assessment is actually the first of several over the course of the next few years.
This is how special assessments work. With everything said and done, it looks like each owner will be on the hook for a minimum of 10k +

info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 02-27-2011, 08:22 AM   #13
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Special assessments are killer. When we were originally buying our first home, we looked at, and put an offer on an amazing townhouse. Suffice to say when we reviewed the condo docs, we understood why it was so affordable. Even when the owners kicked in $50k against special assessments, it was too much risk given the complex's history.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:49 PM   #14
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor 1 View Post
This is how special assessments work. With everything said and done, it looks like each owner will be on the hook for a minimum of 10k +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Special assessments are killer. When we were originally buying our first home, we looked at, and put an offer on an amazing townhouse. Suffice to say when we reviewed the condo docs, we understood why it was so affordable. Even when the owners kicked in $50k against special assessments, it was too much risk given the complex's history.
Indeed - it was my understanding from my friend that it was 10K(ish depending on the floor area) per year for the next several years - at least 4 if I remember correctly.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:26 AM   #15
lucky1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Ouch, $40K per unit?? (dependant), there must be some pretty good rot going in there somewhere...I cant see them needing that much of a boost to the reserve fund?
Old 02-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #16
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1 View Post
Ouch, $40K per unit?? (dependant), there must be some pretty good rot going in there somewhere...I cant see them needing that much of a boost to the reserve fund?
I'm not sure if it is my place and I would assume Realtor 1 has access to the documents/full background story - but I believe that there is (substantial?) water damage/mold. Some suites in the building are unoccupied while repairs are going on if I remember correctly from the story.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:52 PM   #17
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

^^^ I have heard the same thing.

info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 02-28-2011, 01:03 PM   #18
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For condo owners, does your home insurance cover special assessment?

When I got my home insurance renewed, I found out that I'm covered for up to 80k in special assessment.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #19
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber317 View Post
For condo owners, does your home insurance cover special assessment?

When I got my home insurance renewed, I found out that I'm covered for up to 80k in special assessment.
I doubt that is for any special assessment, I'm pretty sure there are usually only very specific cases where that pays out. Otherwise, everyone in a building could get the insurance, and vote a big huge special assessment to top up the reserve fund, then lower the monthly fees for the next 5 years.

If it does cover all special assessments, who is your insurance company?
Old 02-28-2011, 01:47 PM   #20
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I doubt that is for any special assessment, I'm pretty sure there are usually only very specific cases where that pays out. Otherwise, everyone in a building could get the insurance, and vote a big huge special assessment to top up the reserve fund, then lower the monthly fees for the next 5 years.

If it does cover all special assessments, who is your insurance company?
Not sure how that would work to be honest. I will have to look at my documents again to see what it says in the policy.

My insurance is through td meloche monnex