Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2018, 08:56 AM   #1
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default I think it's a real good team - Peters

Quote:
Have you reached out to players yet?

“Everything was kind of quick. We did the press conference (April 23) and I spent a few days trying to get up to speed on the organization and then I was off to Denmark. I’ll see some players (Monday) who are training (in Calgary) and meet them face-to-face. At some point this week, I’ll take a trip to Ontario to see those guys. The guys I’ve missed, I’ll talk to on the phone. But I was able to meet with Mikael Backlund a couple of times (at the world championships), ran into Johnny Gaudreau and (David) Rittich. I should be able to see quite a few guys in the next few weeks. I just want to get to know (them), figure out what they’re all about and try and build a relationship.”
Quote:
People describe you as being hard on players…

“Yeah, I don’t think so.”

Why do you think that opinion exists?

“You know what? Say it’s (regarding) ice time … ice time is earned on a consistent basis. You just have to communicate that.”
I really like how Bill is reaching out and flying around to get to know the players.

http://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey/...f-great-things
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:21 AM   #2
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Peters also did an interview with Ryan Leslie on the Flames website:

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2018, 11:31 AM   #3
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everything so far has been good news. I think we're all going to be really excited by the time the puck drops.

All the right things are being said, but let's see if the right stuff is done.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:34 AM   #4
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Well this isn't good. He can't see that the Flames are in fact - terrible: slow, uncreative and one dimensional.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:34 AM   #5
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
Everything so far has been good news. I think we're all going to be really excited by the time the puck drops.

Haha... so true. At least for me, though, it's due to memory issues. I forget the past and think each new season will be the one.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2018, 11:39 AM   #6
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
Peters also did an interview with Ryan Leslie on the Flames website:

There needs to be a "Ryan Leslie Whirlwind Drinking Game".

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2018, 11:51 AM   #7
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Well this isn't good. He can't see that the Flames are in fact - terrible: slow, uncreative and one dimensional.
Under the Gulutzan system, yes, they were. But how 'bout we wait and see what Peters can do with this team before we write them off as terrible. We have a solid core here that really flourished under Hartley who implemented a system that actually utilized their strengths. We know they have it in them to be a creative, fast, and exciting team. Hopefully they can regain some of that magic under this new coaching staff.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2018, 11:55 AM   #8
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah look at William Karlsson, was a poor one dimensional player that couldn't score while dumping the puck over and over under Tortorella. Dumped in the expansion draft. No idea what the Knights saw in him.

I am still so annoyed that Brodie was never used on the right side by Gulutzan in 2 years. Coaches should never force players to fit in their system, rather set a system to fit your player's strengths. That is why Gallant is such a great coach, and why Hartley won a Jack Adams trophy with an overachieving team. Let us see if Peters adapts.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2018, 12:03 PM   #9
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Under the Gulutzan system, yes, they were. But how 'bout we wait and see what Peters can do with this team before we write them off as terrible. We have a solid core here that really flourished under Hartley who implemented a system that actually utilized their strengths. We know they have it in them to be a creative, fast, and exciting team. Hopefully they can regain some of that magic under this new coaching staff.
Maybe I've missed something, but isn't Peters supposedly implementing the same or very similar system as Gulutzan? I can't see much of a significanr change coming aside from perhaps a fresh voice.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:16 PM   #10
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Maybe I've missed something, but isn't Peters supposedly implementing the same or very similar system as Gulutzan? I can't see much of a significanr change coming aside from perhaps a fresh voice.
You haven't missed anything, and the reason being is he hasn't coached the Flames yet. Until then, there's no sense in guessing or assuming systems will be the same.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:24 PM   #11
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It sounds like the defensive will be more active. That to me alone should change things for the better, and make this team a much more dynamic and difficult to defend against squad.

The system probably won't - and shouldn't - change that much. They just need to speed up the transition, find a way for the defence to become more involved in the offence, be better at making in-game adjustments and to have an even average PP. Small changes in every facet can result in not only a tonne more success on the ice, but also increase the actual entertainment value.

I don't think these are drastic changes, nor do I feel it would be deviating from a 'puck possession' game. Minor cumulative adjustments can make a world of difference, and hopefully won't necessitate a prolonged learning curve to start the season.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:35 PM   #12
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
It sounds like the defensive will be more active. That to me alone should change things for the better, and make this team a much more dynamic and difficult to defend against squad.

The system probably won't - and shouldn't - change that much. They just need to speed up the transition, find a way for the defence to become more involved in the offence, be better at making in-game adjustments and to have an even average PP. Small changes in every facet can result in not only a tonne more success on the ice, but also increase the actual entertainment value.

I don't think these are drastic changes, nor do I feel it would be deviating from a 'puck possession' game. Minor cumulative adjustments can make a world of difference, and hopefully won't necessitate a prolonged learning curve to start the season.
I agree. Most of the coaches in the NHL employ a similar 5 man transition game. They just are able to make the players do it more quickly and actively. For example, VGK does tries to move as a unit when they can. They just turn the switch from gaining possession to moving up ice (as a unit) way quicker. It sometimes looks like they are stretching but really it's players moving up ice asap, and trusting their linemates are doing the same.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2018, 01:27 PM   #13
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah... I gotta say, I prefer Peters' take to yours.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:43 PM   #14
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's he supposed to say, anyway? "Yeah, thanks for hiring me. We have a crappy team, BTW. I've been going around and telling players how much they suck."
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:51 PM   #15
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's true, the group has some individually great pieces. But for some reason can't amount to the sum of their parts. Can Peters put the puzzle together? Hopefully if something isn't working he has the common sense to try a different approach.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:34 PM   #16
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Juggling the lines a little and having more in game adjustments would be a significant change IMO.

GGs greatest fault wasn’t his system, it was his line combos IMO and lack of in game adjustments.
Flames Draft Watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2018, 02:48 PM   #17
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Juggling the lines a little and having more in game adjustments would be a significant change IMO.

GGs greatest fault wasn’t his system, it was his line combos IMO and lack of in game adjustments.
I feel like the way we saw shooting percentages crater in 17/18 speaks to a systematic issue that was worsened by Gully's boneheaded line-up management.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2018, 03:12 PM   #18
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post

I get the feeling from other free agents that until Calgary fixes:
- coaching/goaltending
-compete (same dreary play year after year since the blip in '04 and '15)
- small town feel issues (arena, media coverage pre and post game, Flames tv, etc)
-enter into 2018 as a relevant franchise, (see Vegas, Vancouver, hate to say it but Edmonton, and all of the California franchises intro's and in game entertainment),

I don't think many are excited. At all. One interview and an immediate hire is indicative of how this franchise keeps flopping on it's face. It's starting to wear thin.

saXon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:16 PM   #19
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXon View Post
I get the feeling from other free agents that until Calgary fixes:
- coaching/goaltending
-compete (same dreary play year after year since the blip in '04 and '15)
- small town feel issues (arena, media coverage pre and post game, Flames tv, etc)
-enter into 2018 as a relevant franchise, (see Vegas, Vancouver, hate to say it but Edmonton, and all of the California franchises intro's and in game entertainment),

I don't think many are excited. At all. One interview and an immediate hire is indicative of how this franchise keeps flopping on it's face. It's starting to wear thin.
From other "free agents"? They're talking about intros?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2018, 03:18 PM   #20
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ Agreed.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote