Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2018, 06:04 AM   #41
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporary_User View Post
2010 was team USA's chance. Played the best in the round-robin, went 3-0 whereas Canada went 1-1-1.

Canada was able to take the US to OT in the gold medal game and put it way there.

Though I like watching NHL players, I think the tournament will be just as much fun as always. Cheer for the country instead of the athletes really. Other than the best, the majority of athletes are sadly forgotten about a couple weeks after
The very same thing can be said about 2002.

2002 was also team USA's chance. They didn't lose in the round robin with a 2-0-1 record and Canada was 1-1-1.

Canada scored 2 goals in the later stages of the 3rd period of the gold medal game and won.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:49 AM   #42
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

Mark stone, dougie, and gio inclusion makes me think this is just a fluff piece to get hits by Canadian fans.

Snubbing toews is an interesting idea I never thought of. His offense has always been meh -- I assume he's still elite defensively though?

Giroux should be a lock, imo, since Canada lacks elite wingers. Giroux switched to LW this year. Do you want an off position Mackinnon or Giroux? He's also great on faceoffs to boot, can PK, be an energy guy. We can't stuff Canada full of centers (SN list has 8/12 centers by my count)

Burns should be a lock, too

Last edited by Philly06Cup; 01-11-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Philly06Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:05 AM   #43
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

Their list for Canada is pretty good. I'd go

Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron
MacKinnon - McDavid - Stamkos
Giroux - Seguin - Benn
Toews - Tavares - Scheifele
xHall

Keith - Doughty
Pietrangelo - Subban
Giordano - Burns

Price
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:43 AM   #44
flameester
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Sorry to be the voice of reason but there is no way Hamilton plays ahead of Subban as much as I dislike Subban.

There are so many more options available to them ahead of Hamilton imho.

Take Ekblad for example.

If Weber wasn’t hurt he would be in the mix.

I get the feeling Hockey Canada wouldn’t want Hamilton as he has been passed up before.

Gio is legit as he has shown to be able to play in any situation and play well.
flameester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:05 PM   #45
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameester View Post
Sorry to be the voice of reason but there is no way Hamilton plays ahead of Subban as much as I dislike Subban.
"Voice of reason," indeed. To each their own, but I am positively mystified by the number of people who dislike PK Subban.

Quote:
There are so many more options available to them ahead of Hamilton imho.
This is pure hyperbole. Certainly, there are realistic options of having some other players ahead of Hamilton, but "so many"? Not a chance.

Quote:
Take Ekblad for example.

If Weber wasn’t hurt he would be in the mix.
I am not convinced that Weber would still be in Canada's top six.

Quote:
I get the feeling Hockey Canada wouldn’t want Hamilton as he has been passed up before.
That's ridiculous. Hamilton is only 24-years-old, and is the second youngest defenseman on Sportsnet's list, including the alternates. He was unavailable to Team Canada for the last World Cup of Hockey due to his age, and did not qualify for the last Olympic team primarily because he was 20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:34 PM   #46
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The reason to bring Hamilton is the same reason that they brought Bouwmeester last time. To have a ready-made partnership that could step in immediately and deliver.

Check this amazing chart out:

Calgary's first pairing is unique in the league. It gives a corsi bonus to no matter who they play with and not only that keeps ALL FOUR forward lines significantly above the league average for possession.

A truly special d-unit.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 01:48 PM   #47
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
The reason to bring Hamilton is the same reason that they brought Bouwmeester last time. To have a ready-made partnership that could step in immediately and deliver...
That is amazing, but it should also be noted that Dougie Hamilton's consideration for the Olympic team would also probably have something to do with being the #5 highest scoring Canadian defenseman over a period of the last two calendar years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:13 PM   #48
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
No doubt. But in a one game elimination tournament, this would probably have been Team USA's best chance. Oh well, too bad for them. The next World Cup will be awesome to watch Canada vs. USA.
Although if they go with Team North America again, McDavid and Matthews won't be on Canada/USA.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:01 PM   #49
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
Although if they go with Team North America again, McDavid and Matthews won't be on Canada/USA.
I think Team NA was created largely because you couldn't justify those guys for their national teams based on track record at the time (Matthews had none and McDavid had a half year only) but the organizers wanted them in.

Now, who would be left out that's (a) under 23 and (b) couldn't make their national team who you would want to include? McDavid, Matthews, Eichel, Tkachuk, make their teams.

You'd be looking at Barzal, Boeser, Marner, Keller, McAvoy, Werenski, Hanifin, Larkin, etc. Just not quite as good.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote