Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2018, 01:32 PM   #41
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

You guys do other things besides reading CalgaryPuck in your spare time?
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:34 PM   #42
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
A used civic suddenly becomes incredibly expensive when you want to actually do fun stuff to it.

As for youtube car stuff, I go back and forth on Demuro. It annoys me how he intentionally talks in a way designed to take five times as long as necessary to describe anything to increase his video stats for monetization purposes. Look at his Agera RS1 video today, it's absurd. Borderline unwatchable. Roadkill used to be the best thing on youtube for car nuts, then they took it away and put it on Motor Trend OnDemand (a service that I refuse to believe anyone pays for).

Just make sure you don't get bit by the Bringatrailer bug. I swear I have a permanent hold on my visa from that site. Never win anything, but can't help myself from bidding nonetheless.
Yeah, Doug DeMuro is getting a little annoying for me, too. Still watch every episode (haven't seen today's). 16 minutesish is the perfect length. He's getting around 26 on a bunch of them and that's annoying.

My least favourite trait of his is the: "Nobody else will ever notice this, but I do and now you will, too." Ah, no, dips**t, everyone notices the Audi logo in the headlight surround. You aren't so great.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:36 PM   #43
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
A used civic suddenly becomes incredibly expensive when you want to actually do fun stuff to it.
Nah, you can do cheap stuff. Plasti-dip the chrome pieces. Detail. Maybe debadge? New head unit. Some subs and an amp off Kijiji. Driving it is fun, too. All that's not too far off free and you'd get something unique looking.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:43 PM   #44
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'd recommend meeting singles in their early 20s. Seems like a hobby that would be in demand.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:57 PM   #45
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Poetry and prose. Or some other creative medium. You're a smart guy, use it.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:58 PM   #46
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I hear you that you don't have a car or really need one, but if you're interested at all - even just a little - in cars, you're actually an ideal candidate to get a cool car. Since you don't need it everyday, you can look at all the fun cars that wouldn't be as practical for somebody that needs it as a daily driver.
Appreciate the suggestion but I'm just not a car guy. I'm the guy that stares blankly at you if you try to tell me how much horsepower your car has or the type of engine it's running.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:04 PM   #47
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Appreciate the suggestion but I'm just not a car guy. I'm the guy that stares blankly at you if you try to tell me how much horsepower your car has or the type of engine it's running.
Fair enough. I'm not a sports guy and have that exact same stare when my friends talk hockey. I know you can't just turn that switch on if it isn't there to begin with.

I had another idea for you as I was driving home. Are you a weed guy? Are you interested in becoming one? With legalization of cannabis, you could conduct a bunch of experiments - indica, sativa, blends, bud, oil, etc. Approach it the same way craft beer guys or wine guys approach their pursuits. I think the health risks are limited/acceptable if you vape versus smoke. Are you good looking and charismatic? Maybe do a YouTube channel that documents your experiments? Idk, sounds kind of dumb, but not dumber than being a beer guy or wine guy and at least you'll never have a hangover.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 02:27 AM   #48
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think about this from time to time and currently, along with dumb trivia I pick up along the way, I try to understand a new skill of challenge myself to do something new/random at least once a month. I don't have to be able to do it or anything like that, I just challenge myself to try and understand things I see around me on a day to day basis.

For you, why not add a few random skills to complement your current ones/hobbies once a month? You'd be surprised how much you can achieve with a few hours a month.

ie: working out -> Biking, roller blading, free running, scooter, skate board/long board or maybe a pair of jumping stilts, hackey sack/bocce/croquet/frisbee

ie: drinking -> card tricks or dumb skills to win bar bets/impress people you meet. Beat boxing, languages, palm reading, magic, origami, darts etc

Cooking -> fine dining, bbq, smoking meats/jerky, pickling, canning, kombucha, roasting/brewing coffee, brewing beer, bartending, knife skills

Music, drawing, writing, gardening, dorodango, carving/whittling, urban foraging/identifying wild edibles

Misc skills: juggling, lock picking, sign language, braille, self defence, basic home repair, shaving using a double edged safety razor, massage, first aid

Buy an air soft gun and shoot at a xylophone or wind chimes...

Volunteer, cheer up minimum wage workers/random strangers, haggle, be a tour guide

Again, no need master these skills. Just explore the nuisances of the topics or learn the mechanics of an activity for knowledge and self depreciating humour sakes.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 07:11 AM   #49
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

What kinds of things are you into aside from video games and sports?

Maybe take some classes? The idea of going back to school sounds dumb for anyone who has graduated but I've had a great time taking various evening courses for things I enjoy such as drawing, graphic design and photography. A lot of these activities can be a very solo experience so taking a class is a nice excuse to get out and meet others.

Are you into board games? You could try to get a few friends together and play some games.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 09:19 AM   #50
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Flyfishing, photography, mountain biking, road biking
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:22 AM   #51
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 09:29 AM   #52
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Misc skills: juggling, lock picking, sign language, braille, self defence, basic home repair, shaving using a double edged safety razor, massage, first aid

Buy an air soft gun and shoot at a xylophone or wind chimes...

Volunteer, cheer up minimum wage workers/random strangers, haggle, be a tour guide
- There's lots of ways to pass the time. Hitch up your pants, air whittle. Make friends with a Chinese man.

- Uh, Mr. Simpson, you weren't supposed to leave the home.

- Thank you, Ping-Pong.

- My name is Craig.

- Sure, it is.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 09:31 AM   #53
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Mine may not be quite as popular but I really enjoy them.

1) Building/flying drones. Not as easy as it used to be but building drones taught me basic electronics and soldering skills. Years of PC gaming made learning to fly FPV fairly easy. I absolutely LOVE flying around on warm summer days, even winter days and watching the footage after. Smaller "racing" style drones and the larger, more stable drones with higher end video equipment both produce very fun video to watch.

2) Target shooting. Own a decent variety of firearms. Several I've built myself. Also assemble my own ammunition. This taught me to pay VERY close attention to detail. The range I have a membership at is outdoors so warm summer nights are very nice. Shooting also teaches you slow, methodical breathing and keeping still/calm.

Like I said, not for all. Seems my hobbies tend to go against the grain but I really do enjoy them.

Oh....and of course...PC gaming SO Much fun.
I bought a sweet pellet rifle a couple years ago with a scope. TBH, I haven't used it much this year as I kind of lost interest, but they're very affordable and an easy way to get into a thing like shooting without taking a course and spending a lot of money on a real gun. I can shoot in my warehouse at work, so that was pretty fun while I was doing it. I never did shoot any vermin, but if I ever get a mouse at work I'll try to peg it off.

Do you camp? I'm going to go back to a vehicle again, but if you're bored of doing the same old, consider a vehicle to get you around. Get a minivan, take out the seats, throw a mattress in the back, some warm comforters, MacGyver some black-out blinds, and go cruise around in your own personal camper. You'll meet others doing the same thing and see lots of cool stuff. You could pick up a reasonable van for under $5k. Bring a bike along with you and it's even more fun. I actually prefer sleeping in the back of my van over a random hotel. Spending $250/night just to sleep feels like a waste to me.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:37 AM   #54
Torch
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Racehorses!
Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 01:02 PM   #55
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
Racehorses!
Breeding them? Raising them? Training them? Riding them? Betting on them?
Old 12-12-2018, 02:16 PM   #56
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Breeding them? Raising them? Training them? Riding them? Betting on them?
Eating them.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 04:53 PM   #57
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

My answer would have been censored.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:13 PM   #58
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Eating them.
I didn't like horse meat when I had it.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:05 PM   #59
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
i find these things keep me busy...
play hockey
play bass guitar in a band
mod my truck
doing stuff for our house (reno a room, build bunk beds for the kids, build cabinets for the garage, etc. ...my wife is always adding to the list!)
charcoal smoker - make beef jersey, ribs, brisket, smoked burgers (sooo good), chicken, turkey, etc, etc, etc!!

I am a bacon jersey man myself but I'd be willing to try a beef one, perhaps a retro Tkachuk in a nice ribeye cut. I know...booooo
Old 12-12-2018, 06:20 PM   #60
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Having kids is a great way to eat up some time.
He said hobby, not #### up his life for the next two decades.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post: