Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2018, 10:06 AM   #1
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Hobby recommendations?

Just curious as to what people on CP do for hobbies. I'm trying to find more things to do on the weekends/weekday evenings that aren't just me going out and getting wasted with my friends but I'm feeling kind of stumped. It doesn't help that I have the fine-motor skills of a toddler, so anything that's kind of arts & crafts, building stuff, etc., is pretty well out.

I guess the things I primarily do are video games and exercise (either going to the gym, running, or drop-in sports) but I find that still leaves me with a lot of free time. Been debating trying to learn a new language or maybe taking some investment classes.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:10 AM   #2
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Build a garage!

I like to make beer as well, when I can find the time.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 10:14 AM   #3
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Part-time work, volunteering, shovel snow and mowing lawns for the old lady who live across the street...many things you can do.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:15 AM   #4
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

You're in Victoria. Really long Golf season there.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:15 AM   #5
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a hobby woodworker and I get a great feeling of accomplishment when I finish a project. I also get great feelings of anxiety because I'm slow and my finishes are never as good as pro woodworkers so I do not recommend this hobby. It's like golf - no matter how good you get, you are still pissed off you aren't better. For me, anyway.

Making beer is fun. Funner that wine making IMO.

Having kids is a great way to eat up some time.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 10:16 AM   #6
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe working on those motorskills would be something to take up? Maybe an art class or pottery or something along those lines?

That language is a good idea if you have ambition for it. I've thought about that myself. Apparently Duolingo is a great way to learn.

If you like exercise, maybe try doing something specific that you've never done? I was getting bored with just regular workouts and took boxing lessons for a year or so. I loved it.

Maybe an instrument if you've ever had that desire?
Old 12-11-2018, 10:17 AM   #7
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Do you have any big dreams you want to do? Why not make those dreams a quantifiable goal, then develop hobbies around achieving those goals? For example, "I want to summit Cotopaxi" or something then joint the Alpine Club, start climbing, join hiking groups etc.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 10:18 AM   #8
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Flyfishing, learn an instrument, boardgames, volunteer with music festival or community radio, shinny.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 10:18 AM   #9
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Ship in a bottle.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 10:19 AM   #10
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Having kids is a great way to eat up some time.
Got the old rip, snip, and clip, so that one is definitely out of the question.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 10:20 AM   #11
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

i find these things keep me busy...
play hockey
play bass guitar in a band
mod my truck
doing stuff for our house (reno a room, build bunk beds for the kids, build cabinets for the garage, etc. ...my wife is always adding to the list!)
charcoal smoker - make beef jersey, ribs, brisket, smoked burgers (sooo good), chicken, turkey, etc, etc, etc!!
Old 12-11-2018, 10:21 AM   #12
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think about this a lot too. I spend a lot of time with what I recently learned was retail arbitrage. I love finding things I can resell for profit. It's fun and fills the addictive urge for collecting and shopping.

What fills the time best and makes me happiest is creativity. I know it's cliche but when you're actually creative, not just coloring or gluing models together, when you really put something on the planet that wasn't there before and it's good, time truly flies by.

Investing is a great idea. It was my hobby in 2012 and now it's my income and the only thing I need to do. There's a lot to learn there but easily achievable.

Animals are a great holiday from reality for me. Starting little businesses is also a fun hobby. I joined the Rover app or whatever app works for dog walking, and now I go walk people's dogs once in a while. It's actually kind of fun. People suck but dogs don't.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 10:21 AM   #13
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prarieboy View Post
You're in Victoria. Really long Golf season there.
Yeah, I own a set of a clubs but I don't own a vehicle nor really any need to own one. It doesn't completely rule out golf, but it gets to be a more expensive hobby if you're taking cabs to and from the course.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:21 AM   #14
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Flyfishing, learn an instrument, boardgames, volunteer with music festival or community radio, shinny.
Totally fly fishing. I know lots of amateur athletes, including myself, who fly fish on "rest days". It's awesome.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:21 AM   #15
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to stump for model-making and sculpting. They taught me how to develop my own awful fine-motor skills. And also taught me patience.

...and yes, ship in a bottle at least helps you feel better about alcoholism.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #16
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

painting every now and then is a good hobby because it is relaxing.It pairs well with watching sports and chatting with friends, or listening to tunes.

Learning and instrument is fun if you are patient and enjoy repetitive tasks. Guitar is probably the cheapest and most accessible option.

If I could chose a new hobby it would likely be coding or something useful like that. I like the idea of making a story driven game or something like that.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:24 AM   #17
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Animals are a great holiday from reality for me. Starting little businesses is also a fun hobby. I joined the Rover app or whatever app works for dog walking, and now I go walk people's dogs once in a while. It's actually kind of fun. People suck but dogs don't.
This would actually be great. I didn't realize there was such an app.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:24 AM   #18
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cooking / baking, beyond the obvious necessity of it, can be fun hobby type things as well. Takes up a lot of time, teaches or enhances a valuable life skill, and leaves you with a tangible thing to enjoy. Also something that impresses women pretty much universally. And men. And family. Everybody is impressed by delicious food and baking.

I'd love to have more free time for hobbies -- I barely get in to the "video games" part of it before I'm pulled away by commitments (wife, kids, work, etc.)
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 10:26 AM   #19
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I think about this a lot too. I spend a lot of time with what I recently learned was retail arbitrage. I love finding things I can resell for profit. It's fun and fills the addictive urge for collecting and shopping.

What fills the time best and makes me happiest is creativity. I know it's cliche but when you're actually creative, not just coloring or gluing models together, when you really put something on the planet that wasn't there before and it's good, time truly flies by.

Investing is a great idea. It was my hobby in 2012 and now it's my income and the only thing I need to do. There's a lot to learn there but easily achievable.

What's the best first step to go from weekend warrior type investor to someone who understands markets? I want this to be my new hobby so I can get away from the evils of building things.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:32 AM   #20
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mine may not be quite as popular but I really enjoy them.

1) Building/flying drones. Not as easy as it used to be but building drones taught me basic electronics and soldering skills. Years of PC gaming made learning to fly FPV fairly easy. I absolutely LOVE flying around on warm summer days, even winter days and watching the footage after. Smaller "racing" style drones and the larger, more stable drones with higher end video equipment both produce very fun video to watch.

2) Target shooting. Own a decent variety of firearms. Several I've built myself. Also assemble my own ammunition. This taught me to pay VERY close attention to detail. The range I have a membership at is outdoors so warm summer nights are very nice. Shooting also teaches you slow, methodical breathing and keeping still/calm.

Like I said, not for all. Seems my hobbies tend to go against the grain but I really do enjoy them.

Oh....and of course...PC gaming SO Much fun.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 12-11-2018 at 10:34 AM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post: