Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-24-2018, 05:55 PM   #41
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wow sounds bad for the CFL. Somebody in head office should prevent stuff like this from happening. Legal proceedings are probably next.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:02 PM   #42
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

He signed a multi-year contract and was given an opportunity to play for pay. He should live up to his contract.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:07 PM   #43
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Wow sounds bad for the CFL. Somebody in head office should prevent stuff like this from happening. Legal proceedings are probably next.

??

They can't make a guy play if he doesnt want to.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:41 PM   #44
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if there is more to the story, but here we go again as its Chris Williams all over again.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:48 PM   #45
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

When contracts aren’t guaranteed I don’t begrudge players for wanting an opportunity to earn more.

Every cfl team should let players leave to go down south when they have an opportunity, regardless of contract status or CBA. It will help them attract talent in the future. Especially since it isn’t like the talent and pay are close in the two leagues.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2018, 06:56 PM   #46
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

good for him. i dont like the public shaming of the CFL or ARgos, but, the Argos brought this on themselves.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:11 PM   #47
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
??

They can't make a guy play if he doesnt want to.
A foreign entity (ie Argos or CFL) purporting to not allow him to pursue employment in his chosen profession in his own country is a problem that will attract the sympathy of a district court judge somewhere in the USA.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:19 PM   #48
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
A foreign entity (ie Argos or CFL) purporting to not allow him to pursue employment in his chosen profession in his own country is a problem that will attract the sympathy of a district court judge somewhere in the USA.
Not if he was under contract for another year, and the non guaranteed part of the contract doesn't matter if this case.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:57 PM   #49
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I understand both sides of the argument but if it becomes commonplace that teams let players out of their contracts to seek NFL employment the CFL essentially becomes a farm league for the NFL and you will see players just come up for one year with no intentions of fulfilling their deals when they have a breakout season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:25 PM   #50
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I understand both sides of the argument but if it becomes commonplace that teams let players out of their contracts to seek NFL employment the CFL essentially becomes a farm league for the NFL and you will see players just come up for one year with no intentions of fulfilling their deals when they have a breakout season.
There is no floodgates problem here - as you know very few players in the CFL have any real prospect of getting much beyond an NFL practice roster.

Almost every other employee who works for the Argos - other than a player - can walk away from an employment contract anytime - the remedy if anything is damages - not forced employment. If the player isn't leaving to go work for another team in the same league, i don't see any grounds for the Argos here.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:37 PM   #51
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's good for the goose...
All teams have the right to cut a player outright, contract or not. If the contracts were guaranteed.. Then maybe the teams could huff and puff.
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2018, 11:11 PM   #52
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Not a chance.

Or hockey players on both sides of the border could just walk away from their contracts and sign where ever they wished.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:44 AM   #53
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There is no floodgates problem here - as you know very few players in the CFL have any real prospect of getting much beyond an NFL practice roster.
Wilder himself has little real prospect of getting beyond a practice roster but that's not going to stop him from trying. A lot of players regardless of their prospects are going to jump at any opportunity to play in the NFL and it only takes one team's interest. There definitely would be an issue if this would become the norm as every time a player has a great first season they would be asking out of their deal the moment they received interest.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:54 AM   #54
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

While I'm totally against athletes making huge sums of money, I do feel CFL players deserve more. I think the average salary should be $100,000 with a cap at $750,000 (QB's, star RB's/Receivers). I think this is fair compensation to play a "game" for 6 months of the year. Nothing is stopping these guys from getting an off season job and bringing in another $20-40,000 to their family. Anyone getting paid over $2 million max to play any sport or game is ludicrous. Shows how messed up our society is.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:06 PM   #55
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

But the guy has a contract for one more year, I think. He should respect the contract and play it out.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:16 PM   #56
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the guy wants to sit out to protect his future ability to earn an income, I have no issue with that. Similarly, Toronto doesn't have any obligation to let him out of the contract or renegotiate (I'm assuming there is some sort of transfer arrangement in place where the NFL can't sign someone who is under contract in the CFL?).

The interesting story to me is whether Toronto is taking a risk that other free agents avoid the Argos because they don't want to be stuck in the same situation. However, you balance that with the risk of other players holding out, in Toronto and elsewhere (for that reason I'm guessing the league would side with the team on this and not try to intervene).
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:41 PM   #57
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
While I'm totally against athletes making huge sums of money, I do feel CFL players deserve more. I think the average salary should be $100,000 with a cap at $750,000 (QB's, star RB's/Receivers). I think this is fair compensation to play a "game" for 6 months of the year. Nothing is stopping these guys from getting an off season job and bringing in another $20-40,000 to their family. Anyone getting paid over $2 million max to play any sport or game is ludicrous. Shows how messed up our society is.
Those salary numbers would bankrupt the league in about a week. Team payroll would probably quadruple instantly.

Star QBs make about $500k. Rookies make about $40k.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:00 PM   #58
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

By the sounds of this, no one (Wilder nor his agent) have talked to the Argos at all from the statement the team has now released.

"As per league rules, all players entering the CFL must sign a minimum two year contract. James Wilder Jr. is currently entering the second year of that entry contract. We have not had any discussions with James about extending or restructuring his current contract. Nor have we had any discussions with his representation. League rules also state that teams, whether in the CFL or NFL, are prohibited from contacting any player currently under contract.

We appreciate all of the contributions James made to the Argonauts last year. We certainly hope he changes his stance and would welcome his return."

https://www.argonauts.ca/2018/01/25/...mes-wilder-jr/

Old 01-25-2018, 03:08 PM   #59
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Those salary numbers would bankrupt the league in about a week. Team payroll would probably quadruple instantly.

Star QBs make about $500k. Rookies make about $40k.
Yeah I'm aware that those numbers would bankrupt the league today. I hope that when the current TV contract expires, they will be able to reach a new deal where each team receives roughly 7-8 million. $7 million divided by 52 players is roughly $135,000 each. This TV money can go directly to paying players, while the owners would then be able to use all ticket sales, merchandise, concessions, and sponsorship money to pay out coaches, admin, marketing, travel, etc. They can then bank any profit whatever it may be.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:37 AM   #60
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

CFL to partially lift veil on negotiation lists

At its recent meeting of presidents and general managers in Banff, the CFL mandated that teams release 10 names from their respective negotiation lists to the public two times a year – in February and December. The first release is next month, while the second is timed to come before the U.S. college bowl season.

Negotiation lists for each CFL team consist of 45 names of mostly American players in the NCAA, NFL or those not currently with a team. Players are added to a team’s negotiation list on a first-come, first serve basis. Teams then own the exclusive rights to those players so long as they remain on their list.

“It’s a great way to promote more transparency and I think it’s a good place to start,” said CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie said this week. “I had support from the team presidents and the GMs … I don’t know the destiny, but it’s nice to do this.”

https://www.tsn.ca/talent/cfl-to-par...lists-1.979663