Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2018, 05:00 PM   #241
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
I would strongly encourage everyone here to read the ridiculousness contained within this URL. Also, this isn't a scholarly source or group, despite the fact that it is on the domain of the UofC.

I love how you try to sneak this in the backdoor as if it is some sort of mainstream view. I guess we can keep linking compact.org or w/e and fringe websites to continue to support some of these extremist views you hold.

I expected better of you Pepsi. I'd encourage you to use some better judgment and not thank posts like these.
Here's the reference page in case you missed it.

http://www.ucalgary.ca/cared/references#Frances

We can also agree on one thing. I also encourage people to check out the page and think for themselves.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:22 PM   #242
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
I expected better of you Pepsi. I'd encourage you to use some better judgment and not thank posts like these.
Eh, I thought it was interesting.

I don’t really treat “thanks” as a “I agree 100% with everything here.” I thank stuff I agree with, stuff I find interesting, stuff that answers a question in my mind, or even stuff I disagree with but makes me think.

My thanks aren’t out to meet anyone’s standard lol.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:55 PM   #243
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
The subtle racism of lowered expectations:

This was a waste of time. So to prove black suppression is not a thing, they decide to interview a bunch of young urban black folks who are walking out and about in New York City? I'm sure someone else could interview a bunch of poor shut-ins in rural America and get completely opposite answers. What's the point here?
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:56 PM   #244
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So this thread has gone about as well as expected.

How does this actually help anyone or hope to change any ideas?
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:10 PM   #245
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
So this thread has gone about as well as expected.

How does this actually help anyone or hope to change any ideas?
Sorry, what are your expectations? How do you think ideas are formed or changed?

Did you think we were going to stumble on the cure for racism?
Any debate on these sorts of subjects are good, it forces people to think about their own position if they engage. You take from these sorts of threads the same thing you put in. There’s no magic thread that’s going to unlock your brain.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:15 PM   #246
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Sorry, what are your expectations? How do you think ideas are formed or changed?

Did you think we were going to stumble on the cure for racism?
Any debate on these sorts of subjects are good, it forces people to think about their own position if they engage. You take from these sorts of threads the same thing you put in. There’s no magic thread that’s going to unlock your brain.
Is there debate going on here?

I mean I know the OP just wants some where to post a ton of mostly non Canadian stories of racism. But what is the point of the thread? What is trying to be resolved? I’d love to see racism eradicated from the world because it’s disgusting but I don’t see anything going on here other than arguing over what is racist and those who think others are racist because they don’t agree.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2018, 06:15 PM   #247
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Lots of people don't want to hear anything about it not matter what. But what's a little frustrating is there's many who are willing to listen and maybe change their minds a little, but Icecube is coming off too combative and judgmental, imo.

It's tough though, because this at least has lots of people engaged even if many are engaged in a defensive manner. Most threads on racism get a handful of replies and are dead pretty quick.

Cliff is right, there has been lots of traction on racism over the years, but even his delivery is frustrating as you sense an undertone of "look at all this progress so shut up about racism already".
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2018, 06:24 PM   #248
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Is there debate going on here?

I mean I know the OP just wants some where to post a ton of mostly non Canadian stories of racism. But what is the point of the thread? What is trying to be resolved? I’d love to see racism eradicated from the world because it’s disgusting but I don’t see anything going on here other than arguing over what is racist and those who think others are racist because they don’t agree.
Sure, I think so.

People are engaged, there’s not a lot of admirable decorum, but people are being interesting at least. I think the point was to highlight ongoing events of racism, I don’t know if that’s going to be the biggest takeaway or best function of the thread, but through some of the muck there’s some good things to think about.

I guess I don’t get your point. If you don’t find the thread valuable, interesting, or you don’t think it has a point, what are you doing? What’s your purpose?

I think enough people are participating, albeit in a pretty imperfect way, that if you don’t like the very existence of the thread, you could probably just ignore it. If you think there is potential value, feel free to post in a way that leads it here and hope it catches on!
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2018, 06:30 PM   #249
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure, I think so.

People are engaged, there’s not a lot of admirable decorum, but people are being interesting at least. I think the point was to highlight ongoing events of racism, I don’t know if that’s going to be the biggest takeaway or best function of the thread, but through some of the muck there’s some good things to think about.

I guess I don’t get your point. If you don’t find the thread valuable, interesting, or you don’t think it has a point, what are you doing? What’s your purpose?

I think enough people are participating, albeit in a pretty imperfect way, that if you don’t like the very existence of the thread, you could probably just ignore it. If you think there is potential value, feel free to post in a way that leads it here and hope it catches on!
(Responding to your middle paragraph, can’t bold on my phone for some reason)

The name of the thread is “anti racism anti opprsssion” yet Most talk is just stories of said things. I think there is a lot of value to be had here. Just wanting more talk on the anti portion of these things. As someone who doesn’t think shaming someone who says something racist till they lose their job as an appropriate way forward and having that racist person not learn anything I just was hoping to see more talk of ways forward when this thread popped up.

Obviously education and such is something to be done but that’s been said for a long time so where do we go from here? I don’t think the aggressive attack of people gets anything done. Maybe I don’t know what to do haha.

Last edited by Weitz; 05-15-2018 at 06:38 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2018, 06:57 PM   #250
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe I don’t know what to do haha.
I think that's where most people are stuck, including myself.

It's a tough subject but I feel as white people (not saying everyone here is white) we have a duty to push the conversation and new ideas to help make life equal and safe for minorities, as we have a huge power as a group that minorities don't (I think that's lost on a lot of white people).

But like you said, how do you do it? There isn't much that actually engages people.

- Start racism discussion in civilized manner? Crickets

- Start racism discussion in abrasive, combative manner to illicit engagement? **** off, you won't win me over that way, in fact you'll make me more racist!!
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2018, 07:22 PM   #251
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
Here's the reference page in case you missed it.

http://www.ucalgary.ca/cared/references#Frances

We can also agree on one thing. I also encourage people to check out the page and think for themselves.
Not exactly sure what your point is. Are these people website curators experts in their fields or are they just quoting a bunch of questionable source material.

I'm sure I can find a page on a site like StormFront with multiple references, but what does that prove? Does that somehow legitimize whatever is posted? Do you have any thoughts of your own or wish to defend these works? Or are you just going to throw broad appeals to authority out there and hope for the best?

I mean, they are sourcing from a discipline known for getting the conceptual penis published.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:28 PM   #252
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
But like you said, how do you do it? There isn't much that actually engages people.

- Start racism discussion in civilized manner? Crickets

- Start racism discussion in abrasive, combative manner to illicit engagement? **** off, you won't win me over that way, in fact you'll make me more racist!!
True in a sense.

Being abrasive and combative breeds engagement. It’s not always engagement that is evidently beneficial, but getting people to engage with a topic on any level is better than zero engagement, especially when it’s something they disagree with. It’s a catalyst for thought, and you can’t develop or change thoughts if they’re never really being engaged with. Sure, some go the other way and just shut it down and hide further in their hole, but a seed is planted at least, so when they confront the topic again down the road, that seed might have grown.

Something I’ve really come to realise thanks to posters like Cliff, is that disagreements are vital to forming your own opinion on a matter, and engaging with people you disagree with is healthier than surrounding yourself with people you only agree with while shutting down desenting opinions.

If someone can get someone to engage, it’s positive. Even if you’re not going to convince that person you’re right, if you can get them to think about why they think you’re wrong, that’s something.

Groups like Black Lives Matter, for instance, get a LOT of reaction. A lot of people label them in some pretty insidious ways, but one thing that did very well is start and continue conversations. You may not agree with them or their methods, but there’s value there.

Anyways, long post, point is: disagreement is good. Getting people to think about something is good, even if you don’t convince anyone, at least the conversation happens.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2018, 07:40 PM   #253
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The section on liberal racism is also edifying.

Credit where credit is due, these folks don't even pretend to have liberal values.

I'll second CaramonLS's encouragement to read the dogma on that site. It's the structuralism preached by the progressive left distilled down to its pure form. If you're a liberal who's dismayed at the increasingly illiberal behaviour of the left, you gotta read this stuff to understand the Word inspiring the Deeds.
From icecube's original Compact.org website:

Quote:
Individualism: Whites are taught to see themselves as individuals, rather than as part of a racial group. Individualism enables us to deny that racism is structured into the fabric of society. This erases our history and hides the way in which wealth has accumulated over generations and benefits us, as a group, today. It also allows us to distance ourselves from the history and actions of our group. Thus we get very irate when we are “accused” of racism, because as individuals, we are “different” from other white people and expect to be seen as such; we find intolerable any suggestion that our behavior or perspectives are typical of our group as a whole.
It's no wonder Peterson is constantly railing on the Postmodernism and saying they are trying to sneak Marxism in the backdoor. According to sources like these, they hate the concept of the Individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin
Start racism discussion in abrasive, combative manner to illicit engagement? **** off, you won't win me over that way, in fact you'll make me more racist!!
The problem is, "Scholarly" sources are practically begging Whites to engage in group identity politics. No one should want that.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:52 PM   #254
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
An an interview from a so called"radical extremist"

American Racism in the ‘White Frame’

This week’s conversation is with Joe Feagin, a sociologist, and a leading researcher of racism in the United States for more than 40 years. He teaches at Texas A & M University and is the author of more than 60 books, including the forthcoming “How Blacks Built America: Labor, Culture, Freedom, and Democracy.”
Quote:
Most whites think racial inequalities reflect differences they see as real — superior work ethic, greater intelligence, or other meritorious abilities of whites.
I'd be interested to know the truth of that claim. I certainly don't believe that to be the case in the communities of white people that I know and talk with. That's not to say it may not be true, but for anyone whose community isn't like that it would seem pretty offensive to be counted in with those holding views you find offensive simply on the basis of having the same skin color as them.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:20 PM   #255
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Black Harvard graduates have the same shot at a job call-back as white state college grads

https://qz.com/357445/black-harvard-...college-grads/

Quote:
University of Michigan sociologist S. Michael Gaddis, who conducted the study, expected a gap between elite and state colleges, he tells Quartz, and he expected a gap between black and white applicants overall. He did not expect, however, to see that even among elite schools’ graduates, there was a big gap between whites and blacks.

“If we really think that education is the great equalizer, then someone who reaches the pinnacle of that system…should be rewarded pretty equally,” Gaddis says. “I would have been surprised, to be honest with you, to see no gap at all. But to see that the gap for Harvard and the other elite applicants was basically the same was very discouraging.”
Old 05-15-2018, 08:22 PM   #256
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

White High School Drop-Outs Are As Likely To Land Jobs As Black College Students

https://www.forbes.com/sites/susanad.../#62d0056e7b8f

Quote:
African-Americans college students are about as likely to get hired as whites who have dropped out of high school. So says a new report from a non-profit called Young Invincibles, which analyzed data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics and the U.S. Census and examined the effect race and education levels have on unemployment. “We were startled to see just how much more education young African-Americans must get in order to have the same chance at landing a job as their white peers,” said Rory O’Sullivan, deputy director of Young Invincibles, in a statement.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:27 PM   #257
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

African-Americans With College Degrees Are Twice As Likely to Be Unemployed as Other Graduates

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...duates/430971/

Quote:
In her 2013 book, The American Non-Dilemma: Racial Inequality Without Racism, DiTomaso concluded that racial inequality isn't rooted solely in racist ideas or conscious efforts to exclude some groups from distinct opportunities. Instead, she argued that informal networks allow whites, who still hold most of the decision-making positions in the private economy, to hoard and distribute advantage among their family and friends, who tend to be mostly white.
I found that pretty startling...

Quote:
White men with recent criminal histories are far more likely to receive calls back than black men with no criminal record at all.

Last edited by icecube; 05-15-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:30 PM   #258
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Speaking of what people wear, cultural appropriation and outrage...

Quote:
Teen criticized for wearing Chinese qipao to prom — but people in China don’t seem to mind
Quote:
You wouldn’t be blamed for thinking that with all the talk of cultural appropriation these days, most people would stick to neutral clothing with no hint of ethnic origin. But that wasn’t the case for one teen in Salt Lake City, Utah, who wore a Chinese qipao (or cheongsam) — a long, tight-fitting dress with a high slit that’s made of Chinoiserie fabric — to her prom.
https://twitter.com/user/status/989981023076208640

Quote:
In a conversation with the New York Times, Zhou Yijun, a Hong Kong-based cultural commentator, said: “It’s ridiculous to criticize this as cultural appropriation. From the perspective of a Chinese person, if a foreign woman wears a qipao and thinks she looks pretty, then why shouldn’t she wear it?”
https://globalnews.ca/news/4184700/p...appropriation/

Jeremy sure sounds like he’s got the pulse on Chinese culture, being an American living in Salt Lake City and all...
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2018, 08:48 PM   #259
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Speaking of what people wear, cultural appropriation and outrage...
Yeah, this was heavily discussed two weeks ago when it happened.

The teen’s attitude was great about it.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:57 PM   #260
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, this was heavily discussed two weeks ago when it happened.

The teen’s attitude was great about it.
But the thread is 4 days old...

I just figured it fit in with some of the other discussion going on.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote