Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2020, 11:28 AM   #41
Atlantica
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Logic and common sense and your eyeball test tells you the coach choose option A but chooses option B. Option B could be no timeout or playing an unexpected goalie. Your team loses and it seems obvious the coach made the wrong decision. We assume the coach ignored the obvious and blame the coach for the outcome.

But how do we know this is an accurate inference? These coaches are professionals with access to far more information than the causal fan. Perhaps these decisions were made given situational or contextual factors fans are simply unaware of? Anyway, they might be "bone-head" decisions but they also may not be. I will defer to the GM and others more in "the know" to decide if the coach is prone to "bone-head" mistakes.
Atlantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:36 AM   #42
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I'm not excited about Boudreau.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:37 AM   #43
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Win loss record is good ...

But most of the team's underlying numbers unde Ward are middling (15-17th). The exception is high danger splits which is good.

He had the 8th highest PDO in the league under his watch ...
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:37 AM   #44
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Should go after Laviolette, but Ward will be the frugal option which is the Flames M.O when it comes to coaches.
After relocating the team...the chances of Laviolette coming to Calgary are low
Old 04-01-2020, 11:50 AM   #45
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Press Level View Post
I would like to see Treliving conduct an actual search for a head coach and conduct interviews with multiple candidates... for the very first time as a GM.
This is false, revisionist history. Treliving conducted an extensive coaching search leading up to his first hire, and it resulted in Gulutzan. One could argue that that search also produced Ward, since he was short-listed and interviewed by the Flames for their HC vacancy back in 2016.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:56 AM   #46
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
This is Brad Treliving's last chance hiring a coach unless the team has some serious playoff success with the next one. Is Geoff Ward the guy to risk that on after what we've seen so far? I don't believe he is.
Possibly so, but I am unconvinced.

I think if Treliving is indeed operating under strict budgetary constraints when it comes to coaching personnel, then I would imagine the trade-off for that would be some latitude extended in how these coaches perform. If ownership loosens the purse-strings this time around, then yes, this will most certainly be his last coaching hire. But if they don't, don't be surprised to see him survive yet another one.

Quote:
Old 04-01-2020, 12:07 PM   #47
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
A two week hot streak to start his tenure really hides the fact that the Flames record has been incredibly mediocre since. Ward is Gulutzan with a little more awareness. That, frankly, is not good enough.

But if we do go with a new coaching staff, for the love of god, go with an entirely new staff. There's no reason why Gelinas and Sigalet should be immune the way they have been previously.
This exactly. If they bring in a new head coach let him bring his own guys. Goaltending has been an organization weak point since Sigalet was hired. I get that he hasn't been given elite talent to work with but I haven't seen much improvement year over year from netminders under his tutelage. Rittich is still having the same issues of folding with an increased workload in year three with the team. It's time to look a bit deeper than just changing the head coach as it's a little too Oilers for me to have a ex-player and organizational guy like Gelinas shoved down the throats of every new coach.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:33 PM   #48
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames need consistency. They are fast approaching Oiler levels of coaching carousel.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:41 PM   #49
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
The Flames need consistency. They are fast approaching Oiler levels of coaching carousel.
I would argue a main symptom of a coaching carousel is the continual hiring the wrong coaches. I think we all know well the history of ex-Flames head coaches since 2006. They aren't deemed worthy by the rest of the league to be a head coach which is telling in itself that the organization has a habit of picking mediocre/poor coaches. I think Tippett will be coaching the Oilers for quite a few years.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 04-01-2020 at 12:43 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 01:32 PM   #50
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

We do need consistency I'd agree with that, but that's a lot easier when you have a proven guy in that role.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:36 PM   #51
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

Considering the caliber of coaches available this offseason, I can’t imagine Ward returns as head coach.
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:40 PM   #52
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the quality of coaches available right now, this position is asinine.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 01:49 PM   #53
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
This is false, revisionist history. Treliving conducted an extensive coaching search leading up to his first hire, and it resulted in Gulutzan. One could argue that that search also produced Ward, since he was short-listed and interviewed by the Flames for their HC vacancy back in 2016.
Agreed on the first part, but honestly, trying to give Treliving double credit for a search on the Peters hire is also an attempt at revising history.

It's fair to say that Treliving identified Peters as a good candidate with the first search and used that belief for his second hire - but three years later, the entire market would have changed. So making no effort whatsoever to consider options is a black mark on his record. It felt lazy at the time, and Treliving is very fortunate that it worked last year. I don't see him getting the long term extension he got without that.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 02:00 PM   #54
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Agreed on the first part, but honestly, trying to give Treliving double credit for a search on the Peters hire is also an attempt at revising history.
It's a good thing I never did anything of the sort.

Quote:
It's fair to say that Treliving identified Peters as a good candidate with the first search and used that belief for his second hire - but three years later, the entire market would have changed. So making no effort whatsoever to consider options is a black mark on his record. It felt lazy at the time, and Treliving is very fortunate that it worked last year. I don't see him getting the long term extension he got without that.
I don't think this is an accurate depiction of the timeline either. I don't believe Peters was ever interviewed in Treliving's coaching search. Treliving came to know Peters in their time shared together at the 2016 IIHF World Championships. It was there that he identified him as the kind of coach he wanted for his team. The window of opportunity presented itself two years later, and he hired Peters as soon as he became available.

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 04-01-2020 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:03 PM   #55
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yes. Another mid tier coach that would never be hired as HC on any other team is the answer. Totally. Didn't work the first 50 times but yeah, this is time it will for sure. His small unsustainable sample is enough to prove to me that he is the best available option.

Last edited by Fire of the Phoenix; 04-01-2020 at 02:05 PM.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 02:05 PM   #56
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
It's a good thing I never did anything of the sort.
Crap, yeah. I saw Ward in your post and my brain thought Peters. Sorry about that.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 02:09 PM   #57
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
Yes. Another mid tier coach that would never be hired as HC on any other team is the answer. Totally. Didn't work the first 50 times but yeah, this is the one.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
These simplistic, binary sorts of responses don't sufficiently address the problems and the solution. Selecting a "mid-tier" or rookie head coach could very well prove to be an excellent hire, so long as it was the right coach. Installing a veteran, career coach with a long track record of success could likewise prove to be a bad idea if they don't pick the right one.

Just because a coach is inexperienced does not on the face of it mean he is a poor hire. There is a hell of a lot more to the equation than that.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 03:01 PM   #58
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
These simplistic, binary sorts of responses don't sufficiently address the problems and the solution. Selecting a "mid-tier" or rookie head coach could very well prove to be an excellent hire, so long as it was the right coach. Installing a veteran, career coach with a long track record of success could likewise prove to be a bad idea if they don't pick the right one.

Just because a coach is inexperienced does not on the face of it mean he is a poor hire. There is a hell of a lot more to the equation than that.
I would they prefer they go with an experienced, winning hand instead of some guy by default. Not a binary response at all. Sick of the half measure coaching hires by this organization. Enough is enough. We've had one impactful coach during this 30 years of wandering the desert. It is not a coincidence
Old 04-01-2020, 03:02 PM   #59
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Taking his time was probably his downfall.

When you look at who the other candidates were rumoured to be at the time, they were all snapped up in the days prior to hiring Gulutzan. I can't help but think Treliving didn't get the guy he wanted and had to settle for someone further down his list. And Gulutzan didn't seem to be on any other team's radar at the time.

Honestly, I think the team has some roster issues that need to be addressed. Other teams in the division improved over the year where the Flames were complacent it seems. Ward probably got the most out of the players any other coach would have.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:09 PM   #60
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Taking his time was probably his downfall.

When you look at who the other candidates were rumoured to be at the time, they were all snapped up in the days prior to hiring Gulutzan. I can't help but think Treliving didn't get the guy he wanted and had to settle for someone further down his list. And Gulutzan didn't seem to be on any other team's radar at the time.

Honestly, I think the team has some roster issues that need to be addressed. Other teams in the division improved over the year where the Flames were complacent it seems. Ward probably got the most out of the players any other coach would have.
Or BT thinks he is the smartest guy in the room. I think he decides who he is going to hire and that's that. Doesnt matter who else is out there. He doesn't even interview people really from what I've read. I honestly I think he wants a tepid yes man who won't threaten his own job security. He wants a lesser hockey man who will be happy in his role and not threaten his. A darryl sutter type hire just wont happen because that would be BT hiring someone who can slip into the GM role during a power struggle.