Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-30-2020, 04:03 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Flames CSEC announces temporary layoffs and salary rollbacks

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/csec...ng/c-316445116

Quote:
Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corporation (CSEC) has made the decision to proceed with a 60-day temporary layoff for certain personnel and salary rollbacks as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic that has resulted in the pausing of the NHL season along with the cancelation or postponement of other sports leagues, concerts and events.

CSEC indicates that approximately 150 employees representing approximately 50% of its full-time workforce have been given two weeks notice of the 60-day temporary layoff which will be effective April 13, 2020. CSEC has applied for and received consent from Service Canada for a Supplemental Unemployment Benefit plan that will enable CSEC to provide an Employment Insurance top-up payment to all of the employees affected by the temporary layoff. This group of employees will experience the lowest net compensation decrease of any of the employee groups within CSEC. CSEC will continue to provide and pay for health and dental benefits during the period of this temporary layoff.

The remaining staff of approximately 150 employees will see salary reductions ranging from 10% to 25%, enabling them to maintain their employment through this challenging period. The rate of salary reductions increases with salary levels with the executive management receiving the highest percentage rollbacks.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:40 PM   #2
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Sucks but it probably had to happen.

Hope especially that Chris Snow does ok through all this.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:28 PM   #3
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am thinking that hockey ops probably isn't affected by layoffs...but all the sales and food service folks, ice crew, maintainance folks above the absolute minimum, those folks will be on layoff.
The Following User Says Thank You to Julio For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 11:26 PM   #4
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio View Post
I am thinking that hockey ops probably isn't affected by layoffs...but all the sales and food service folks, ice crew, maintainance folks above the absolute minimum, those folks will be on layoff.
Probably some the communications team as well. Not much for the presentation/tech crews to do right now, for instance. Camera operators, graphic designers, etc. It adds up.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:31 PM   #5
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Considering that at the moment we cant even fathom when hockey will return it seems like a small step but a necessary one.

The prospect of setting foot in America anytime soon seems like the equivalent of playing Russian Roulette with a fully loaded revolver.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:41 PM   #6
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Considering that at the moment we cant even fathom when hockey will return it seems like a small step but a necessary one.

The prospect of setting foot in America anytime soon seems like the equivalent of playing Russian Roulette with a fully loaded revolver.
CANADA has 1/ 10th the population of America , yet has the same land size.

Makes sense that the USA is a more dangerous place to live, during this Pandemic.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 12:18 AM   #7
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Scouts have no players to track, no combines testing, so hockey opps is probably going over game film again and again. Only so much of that can be done.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:20 AM   #8
Abatedmean
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Scouts have no players to track, no combines testing, so hockey opps is probably going over game film again and again. Only so much of that can be done.
Fantastic! No excuses for any bad draft choices whenever this draft is! Draft steals are coming our way!
Abatedmean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:22 AM   #9
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

^ With how successful the Flames' drafting has been in recent years I wouldn't be worried about bad choices, anyway.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:30 AM   #10
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:
Icon55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abatedmean View Post
Fantastic! No excuses for any bad draft choices whenever this draft is! Draft steals are coming our way!
Smaller sample sizes, including playoffs when you want to see which kids up their games. Sometimes a factor when you're evaluating 17 year olds.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:02 AM   #11
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

At the end of the day, most of the employees who are affected by this really aren't.

With EI and the top up, and the continuation of benefits, they'll get close to what the would have received anyway.

In fact, it's just a way to get the feds to kick in a share of their salaries.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:37 AM   #12
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm

Last edited by Strange Brew; 03-31-2020 at 09:40 AM.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:44 AM   #13
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

The US is a very big place with many regions experiencing lower rates of infection and mortality than parts of Canada. You're making it sound pretty dire for every person living in the US right now.

We are all in this together.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 12:54 PM   #14
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Speaking as an employee, CSEC is doing right by a lot of people considering the uncertainty of any revenue driving activities. Lower paid staff are still going to receive approx. 95% of their normal pay, while keeping their seat warm for return as long as hockey does come back at some point in the not too distant future.

Most other staff are seeing just 10% of their salaries being cut back (temporarily), allowing for everyone to keep the gears turning at home which will allow CSEC to retain talent and take care of everyone long term.

I thought they had an opportunity to be less generous considering the circumstances and was proud of the efforts they have made.

Now just a matter of getting hockey back in 2020... or the decisions will become harder and harder as time goes on....
Matt Reeeeead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Reeeeead For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 01:09 PM   #15
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Reeeeead View Post
Speaking as an employee, CSEC is doing right by a lot of people considering the uncertainty of any revenue driving activities. Lower paid staff are still going to receive approx. 95% of their normal pay, while keeping their seat warm for return as long as hockey does come back at some point in the not too distant future.

Most other staff are seeing just 10% of their salaries being cut back (temporarily), allowing for everyone to keep the gears turning at home which will allow CSEC to retain talent and take care of everyone long term.

I thought they had an opportunity to be less generous considering the circumstances and was proud of the efforts they have made.

Now just a matter of getting hockey back in 2020... or the decisions will become harder and harder as time goes on....

Who are the "big money" guys in the org? Like 400k+ a year?

Coach and GM obviously, but what about AGM? Assistant coaches? Head scout? Always was curious about that. I imagine the human resource manager makes roughly what other HR managers make with similar number of employees, as would the accounting manager, sales manager etc.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:41 PM   #16
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Who are the "big money" guys in the org? Like 400k+ a year?

Coach and GM obviously, but what about AGM? Assistant coaches? Head scout? Always was curious about that. I imagine the human resource manager makes roughly what other HR managers make with similar number of employees, as would the accounting manager, sales manager etc.

I’m in finance so that’s just an area I wouldn’t get into here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2020, 05:49 PM   #17
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Reeeeead View Post

There will be no NHL hockey played in the next 5 months. I would be willing to bet a few pesos on that.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:38 PM   #18
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
There will be no NHL hockey played in the next 5 months. I would be willing to bet a few pesos on that.

It’s not so much the timing of the games, it’s what the overall games and revenue potential will be. This kind of gets through the 2019/20 season as a worst case.. and question is how many games will be in 2020/21 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2020, 11:45 PM   #19
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
CANADA has 1/ 10th the population of America , yet has the same land size.

Makes sense that the USA is a more dangerous place to live, during this Pandemic.
Is this really true though? There’s a reason you don’t see booming metropolises in the Arctic. Probably close to the same when it comes to “livable” land against population.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:18 AM   #20
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

90 % of Canadians live within 100 miles of the US border.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote