Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2020, 01:02 PM   #1
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:
Flames Calgary Politics

I thought we had one of these, but maybe it got lost in the great thread cleanup, or it was just the Sean Chu is a moron, which got expanded into Chu and Farkas, and at this rate we'll run out of thread title room. Anyway...

Quote:
Coun. Shane Keating says he won't run for re-election next year.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...621728?cmp=rss

Well, bye. Unfortunately rejected PC candidate Craig Chandler is pushing for a moronic slate of candidates, and will be thrusting his stupid Wexit supporting homophobic head into the race to replace Keating. So yay for that.

Quote:
Chandler said at a Wexit rally in November 2019 that he planned to run a slate of right-wing candidates across the city, and would be supporting councillors Sean Chu, Peter Demong, Jeromy Farkas and Joe Magliocca.

Sigh.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:06 PM   #2
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Doesn't surprise me on Keating, he's been pushing for the Green Line for a decade and now that it's approved what better time to call it a career.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:09 PM   #3
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

That's too bad. I thought that Keating did a good job of voting with his head in an honest attempt to represent his community, rather than pushing some half-baked ideology. Shane Keating will be missed at city hall.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wireframe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2020, 02:17 PM   #4
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Darn, the Chu and Farkas "threat" got killed off.

I am fairly happy with Gondek here, but I dislike how the Greenline went down and how we're supposed to be happy with buses for the foreseeable future.

Not sure if it is her fault, or we can still lay everything at Chu's feet for being inept and sleep walking his way through voting "no" for everything.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 02:22 PM   #5
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I am fairly happy with Gondek here, but I dislike how the Greenline went down and how we're supposed to be happy with buses for the foreseeable future.

Not sure if it is her fault, or we can still lay everything at Chu's feet for being inept and sleep walking his way through voting "no" for everything.

Jim Stevenson was elected three times and served almost exactly 10 years in that Ward. So I don't know how much blame I'd lay at the feet of Gondek who only started in 2017 -- I'd be happy if she was my Councillor...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 02:23 PM   #6
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
It would probably be on whoever decided on Shepard being the site of the maintenance yard, a seemingly innocent decision back in 2015 when $5B was supposed to be enough to build both lines but a critical factor when it turned out that $5B couldn't even build out one. Gondek wasn't in council yet at that time and even if Keating was Ward 4 Councillor probably wouldn't be able to change it.

Last edited by accord1999; 06-22-2020 at 02:25 PM.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 02:33 PM   #7
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Darn, the Chu and Farkas "threat" got killed off.

When in doubt, blame Chu. Most of the time it's correct, anyway.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 02:41 PM   #8
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

We had Chu just prior to the Ward boundary changes. not Stevenson.

I should rephrase, shouldn't say "her fault" for everything here. Just with respect to accepting a BRT rather than been pushing harder for the LRT. I would have at least liked them to ask for more funding to get both sections built. Now who knows if it will ever be built out to the north?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 03:01 PM   #9
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
We had Chu just prior to the Ward boundary changes. not Stevenson.

I should rephrase, shouldn't say "her fault" for everything here. Just with respect to accepting a BRT rather than been pushing harder for the LRT. I would have at least liked them to ask for more funding to get both sections built. Now who knows if it will ever be built out to the north?
IDK, I think Gondek got what she could. More funding to build LRT even further wasn't in the cards thanks to decisions made before her time. (in part, thanks to Chu's representation)
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calgary , government , morans , politics