Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2020, 11:39 PM   #221
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
The speculation in this thread both in favour of and opposing officers is absurd. "The officers knew this and that".."she was only doing this"..."she knew it was an officer"...they had no other choice". All balderdash unless you just want something to be true and don't mind twisting the unknown to known in your mind. Which is fine I guess, as it's part of the basic instinct of our species.
It's not about trying to make something true, pushing a narrative or trying to convince somebody. Even if I could somehow convince everyone in this thread, I would gain absolutely nothing from it. I am basically intrigued and somewhat hooked by what happened and playing it over and over in my mind, trying to make sense out of it.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:46 PM   #222
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
Wait, so you think she left the safety of her own home, armed with a knife to confront an intruder? How does that make any sense when she could have locked the door, gone to her 5 year old and called police?
The man who called police said she was "harassed". Probably she was visited by some drunk or whatever half an hour before that. It could be that she even knew him. Despite being annoying and "harassing" that dude likely didn't seem like a lethal threat or anyone looking for a fight. When she heard noises again, she figured it's the same man came back so she wanted to make him go away rather than cave into her apartment with him knocking at the locked door. She figured, he would go away and leave her for good. She didn't want to wait for police and explain everything to them in the middle of the night. She wanted to scare the drunk away, go home and sleep.

And most importantly I am not trying to make case for "my" story. All I am saying is that officer's story doesn't seem to make any sense.

Last edited by Pointman; 06-07-2020 at 11:57 PM.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:48 PM   #223
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman View Post
I am basically intrigued and somewhat hooked by what happened and playing it over and over in my mind, trying to make sense out of it.
That way lays only madness...
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:50 PM   #224
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
lol just because she is female and has a daughter and a job means nothing, regular people snap all the time. She knew that was an officer.
Regular people snap all the time to the point they try to stab two armed officers with the knife? How often does it happen?
The Following User Says Thank You to Pointman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 12:36 AM   #225
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Regular" people have committed mass murder and "nobody saw it coming".

Reform police, Canadian police suck, they kill too many people, their training sucks, knives can't kill people, no cop has ever been stabbed in the history of humanity... whatever. All that is fine. But the idea that a woman with a job and a daughter would be incapable of brandishing a weapon in such a way that the police felt the need to shoot her - I'm not sure why that's unfathomable.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 12:52 AM   #226
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
"Regular" people have committed mass murder and "nobody saw it coming".

Reform police, Canadian police suck, they kill too many people, their training sucks, knives can't kill people, no cop has ever been stabbed in the history of humanity... whatever. All that is fine. But the idea that a woman with a job and a daughter would be incapable of brandishing a weapon in such a way that the police felt the need to shoot her - I'm not sure why that's unfathomable.
Weirder things happened, like that man who killed a fellow passenger on a bus in Manitoba some years ago. It is not entirely impossible that she went literally out of her mind and tried to stab two armed officers, who were not even trying to arrest or otherwise bother her. However, it is far less likely than some sort of misunderstanding.

Last edited by Pointman; 06-08-2020 at 12:54 AM.
Old 06-08-2020, 01:29 AM   #227
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
lol just because she is female and has a daughter and a job means nothing, regular people snap all the time. She knew that was an officer.

Unless you have first hand knowledge of this lady’s situation, you would be well served by shutting the #### up
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 07:42 AM   #228
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Unless you have first hand knowledge of this lady’s situation, you would be well served by shutting the #### up
Ah, the mark of reasonable discussion.
Old 06-08-2020, 02:27 PM   #229
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman View Post
And this is exactly what makes me seriously doubt policemen's story. We are supposed to believe that a normal woman with a daughter, a job and no criminal record would try to stab a cop in the middle of the night near her apartment. She had no reason to do it whatsoever and considering there were two armed cops, it was a suicidal encounter for her. It would be impossible for her to not recognize two strong men in uniform within striking range. I'm not buying it.

My best guess : she heard noise and came out with a knife to protect herself from a drunk intruder. Officer shouted from the dark to drop the knife, perhaps not realizing she lives there. She doesn't realize it's a cop, refuses and shouts back, hence "making threats", as per police. Then officer shoots.
If we have learned anything from the riots is that police regularly lie when making reports. If only there was some way to have a high-quality video of what the officer actually saw at the time of conflict. Oh yeah, bodycams. Why is that not mandatory for every cop on the street? And some of the police departments in states release the video immediately. Great transparency. I watched a video of a guy with a machete. He was chasing the cops around, multiple shots were fired, did not stop him, the cop fell and would have been severely injured if his partners did not kill the guy. Easy to see a good shooting.

Introduce accountability and verification for the police and these incidents will decrease. Rely on the word of two cops that just shot someone and a dead witness/victim? Does not sound like a solid plan.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:16 PM   #230
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://calgarysun.com/news/local-ne...f-7281ee8a03d4

Figured this would be better suited in here then the American police abuse thread.

I’ve long held the belief that police often escalate situations beyond what they need to be regardless of race, sex or creed. Not saying there aren’t racist police either just that I’ve also been detained and struck by police officers many moons ago without reason or cause. It seems like regardless of race if you resist or mouth back your liable to forcefully detained. Definite culture change needed within police forces everywhere IMO.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:48 AM   #231
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
https://calgarysun.com/news/local-ne...f-7281ee8a03d4

Figured this would be better suited in here then the American police abuse thread.

I’ve long held the belief that police often escalate situations beyond what they need to be regardless of race, sex or creed. Not saying there aren’t racist police either just that I’ve also been detained and struck by police officers many moons ago without reason or cause. It seems like regardless of race if you resist or mouth back your liable to forcefully detained. Definite culture change needed within police forces everywhere IMO.
I agree. I think this is getting lost in the conversation around the current protests. It seems to me that the root cause of police escalation is the notion of them being the authority in all situations and law-abiding citizens needing to capitulate regardless of the circumstances. I'm a middle-aged white guy and I get intimidated seeing police around, even though I generally don't break laws. In my experience the police have a tendency to bully their way through situations. They rely on force or the threat of force, even if it's uncalled for. Of course, race and/or cultural issues also play a part but they would be much easier to weed out if the base culture of policing wasn't authoritarian.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:14 AM   #232
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
Quote:
“She requests a formal and independent investigation into this incident.”
What will happen

zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:13 PM   #233
Flames_Gimp