Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2020, 10:13 AM   #141
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, it seems to be different from case to case, but I think now you apply for Cerb through CRA.

When I lost my job back in Mid March I applied for EI, and not CERB, and I have to do the bi-weekly reports to keep active, I don't have to do the Cerb application as far as I can see. since I have an active EI claim.

On the job search side of thing, I'm now starting to get emails informing me that companies that I applied for are suspending their searches. At least I'm getting responses. I just don't see much breaking loose for a while and that's depressing and scary.

It feels like the only companies that are hiring right now hardcore are either straight commission jobs, that I have no interest in, or I'm getting a bunch of calls a day from Primemerica and World Financial Group that I have absolutely no interest in.

I applied for 3 roles today that are interesting, but I expect progress to be slow. Last time I was unemployed it took me 6 weeks to get a job, and I was getting response right away when I sent out my resume/application, now its a different beast.

I feel sorry for people that are in desparate need to get a job to head off income disruption.

BTW I spoke to the nice lady at Safeways who does their recruiting, at Southcentre. Not because I was all fired up about stocking shelves, but more curiosity. But all they're doing is hiring part time, and they're not hiring they feel like they have too many people right now, but they're not looking at getting rid of anyone, just probably reducing shifts.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:14 AM   #142
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poster View Post
Sorry to hear that guys. I wasn’t trying to rub it in, Captain asked if anyone had good news

Never ever thought you were rubbing things in, I'm glad about the good news, we need that now even if it isn't good news of our own, and it gives some hope that things can happen.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2020, 03:28 PM   #143
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am being temporarily laid off for the first pay period of May so I'm off from May 1st to May 19th. Some of my co-workers are telling me that despite not working for a 14 day period we are not eligible for CERB because we are off in between periods 2 & 3 and you have to be unemployed for 14 days in a period not between two periods. This seems kind of silly if true.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:39 PM   #144
Poster
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I found out today that my company needs to pay me retroactively to the day I was laid off in order to use the 75% subsidy.

I will of course have to pay back the CERB but in the end it will mean I didn’t lose any income.

Good luck to all those who are looking for work.
Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:42 PM   #145
Poster
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Double post

Last edited by Poster; 04-21-2020 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Double post
Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:54 AM   #146
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm starting to get that feeling that I'm never going to find anything. For all of my activities, I'm not hearing back. I'm tired of seeing the same old roles on the different sites, that are ticking away past 30 days and very little new coming up.

I'm tired of my network telling me there's nothing happening out there.

I've got very little going right now, and less to feel positive right now. April has been the longest month ever.

Sorry just venting.

Old 04-22-2020, 11:24 AM   #147
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Keep your head up Captain.

It's a tough time and just know that it's not you, it's them. As you said, most having hiring on hold right now but we'll come through this eventually.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 11:38 AM   #148
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'm starting to get that feeling that I'm never going to find anything. For all of my activities, I'm not hearing back. I'm tired of seeing the same old roles on the different sites, that are ticking away past 30 days and very little new coming up.

I've got very little going right now, and less to feel positive right now. April has been the longest month ever.

Sorry just venting.

Nothing to apologize for... it's a real situation, it's how you feel. Job searches can definitely feel more down than up, especially now. Hopefully you can make do because it's most definitely CoVID affecting organizations and allowing posts to become stale. So keep networking, do some personal development (lots of free stuff online), but mostly keep yourself busy.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 11:46 AM   #149
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:

Sorry just venting.
This probably sounds dumb, but let yourself relax.

I do not know your financial situation right now of course. So I do not know how desperate you are, so please take my comments as wholly supportive.

There isn't going to be much out there. And you aren't getting ahead of the pack at the moment. Companies are still trying to figure out how they will use the governments support for new and existing employees.

You are putting too much pressure on yourself to achieve something that might be difficult if not impossible at the moment.

Give yourself a chance to breath, focus on how you can cut down on expenses to make EI work for now and take a step back and see what opportunities might open up. Not immediately, but in the near future.

This is advice I have given a couple friends.

Again, I get that money stress might make this seem impossible, but there are always ways to make the finances work, unless you are so overdrawn or out of options. Any there are many options out there.

Give yourself some slack, mentally, and I would bet something will come up positive for you.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 12:07 PM   #150
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The good thing is that money is not the issue right now. I can go a good bit of time without worrying too much about that. I've cut my expenses down to next to nothing, pushed off my car payments etc.

I'm not used to not working, I'm not used to not hearing, I think that's what's killing me right now.

Going through something like this is seeding a lot of doubts and insecurities.

I had decided that today would be my last day of doing anything on the job search side of things until next week, I need to get away from it, its eating away at me.

I'd like to get work sooner rather then later, but I think I've earned the right to be a bit selective in what I do position wise.

But yeah, your right, I need to stop for a bit, maybe let some new things build up and then re-energize to it.

Old 04-22-2020, 12:24 PM   #151
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
The good thing is that money is not the issue right now. I can go a good bit of time without worrying too much about that. I've cut my expenses down to next to nothing, pushed off my car payments etc.

I'm not used to not working, I'm not used to not hearing, I think that's what's killing me right now.

I had decided that today would be my last day of doing anything on the job search side of things until next week, I need to get away from it, its eating away at me.

I'd like to get work sooner rather then later, but I think I've earned the right to be a bit selective in what I do position wise.

But yeah, your right, I need to stop for a bit, maybe let some new things build up and then re-energize to it.
It's not you. Just keep that in mind. Seems like you have a plan, just stick to that. I'm pretty sure you know your value, so stick to your guns. You may find something comes along that you don't expect when you allow yourself to open your horizons to different opportunities professionally.

JMO.

I went through this (not during a pandemic depression of course) a couple years ago. ####ed my head up. Took a lot for me to become more fluid to possibilities and now I am in a better place than I have been in quite a while, professionally and somewhat mentally, haha.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:08 PM   #152
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:

I would suggest this is a very uncertain time with an expected major unemployment rate when the dust settles. I really don't mean this to come off the wrong way as that's not my intention.

But this is a going to be a new reality for the foreseeable future and I fear "I've earned the right to be selective" may be out of touch with the economic realty awaiting the unemployed after this settles. For sure you seem to have lots of confidence in your abilities, but the job market may not match your confidence and this time off may be an important time to re-evaluate all areas of interest and perhaps "leveling down" if needed at some point, rather than just waiting for/targeting the "right opportunity".

Again, I hope none of that comes off poorly, but looking around this may certainly not be a time when a job is attainable just because of experience, preparation and skill.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:10 PM   #153
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Earning the right to be selective is all well and good but it's not a real thing, unfortunately. This is one of the worst job markets any of us have ever seen and while you're being selective thousands of other resumes are happy to jump through hoops.

Taking time off from an aggressive search is the right approach; when you return it's time to reset expectations and accept what kind of world this is now.

Don't worry though, we're all eating #### right now.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 11:03 AM   #154
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I guess I want to clarify things. I'm not being selective levels wise, or even to an extent pay level wise.

However when I talk about being selective, I am talking about industry specfic selection. I'm not interested in financial planning organizations, or Life insurance for example. I also have no interest in pursuing anything that's deemed as pure commission. So that's my criteria.

Old 04-23-2020, 11:14 AM   #155
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

So when I start getting CERB, I could still go out and try and find a part time job for extra money as long as I make less than $1000 a month?

I'm thinking if I can even net $75 or 100 a week, it would make a huge difference combined with the $500.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 10:48 AM   #156
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Anyone with any good news to share? We need it, or pointers or what worked.

I'm stuck in the rut of applying for everything, knowing I'm probably not going to hear back on most.

The ones that I hear back from are either nope, probably because I'm over experienced, or sorry we're not searching for that position anymore.

Old 04-30-2020, 02:54 PM   #157
emti
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Hey guys I've got a bit of a weird question here regarding EI/CERB payments.

I applied for EI at the start March before the CERB was announced and long story short, a week ago a girl from EI phoned me and explained I was being denied EI but would be eligible for the CERB payments through CRA because COVID was inhibiting my ability to work due to my efforts of applying for jobs/making less than $1,000 a week. She gave me the automated messaging service # to apply for the CERB and I did that the following day. 3 days later I received the CERB payments of $2,000 paid by 'Canada FED' but today I went on my account and received a $2,500 payment from 'Canada EI' and am not sure what it is. I've tried to phone them but obviously it's next to impossible to actually get through and speak to someone. Anyone have any ideas on what this is or what I should do? I don't plan on spending any of it because I was denied EI and don't want to be paying back random chunks of money. Thanks CP
emti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:18 PM   #158
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emti View Post
Hey guys I've got a bit of a weird question here regarding EI/CERB payments.

I applied for EI at the start March before the CERB was announced and long story short, a week ago a girl from EI phoned me and explained I was being denied EI but would be eligible for the CERB payments through CRA because COVID was inhibiting my ability to work due to my efforts of applying for jobs/making less than $1,000 a week. She gave me the automated messaging service # to apply for the CERB and I did that the following day. 3 days later I received the CERB payments of $2,000 paid by 'Canada FED' but today I went on my account and received a $2,500 payment from 'Canada EI' and am not sure what it is. I've tried to phone them but obviously it's next to impossible to actually get through and speak to someone. Anyone have any ideas on what this is or what I should do? I don't plan on spending any of it because I was denied EI and don't want to be paying back random chunks of money. Thanks CP

Most likely what happened is you got paid by both CRA ($2000) and EI ($2500) for CERB. You're going to end up having to pay back some of them since you should only be getting paid by one agency. You'll have to phone EI to get it fixed.
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cSpooge For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 01:41 PM   #159
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have noticed a large uptick in new job postings in my field since this weekend in Vancouver. I have been able to apply for 11 positions over the past two days when previously I had gone a few weeks without anything new really. Hope you see a similar uptick in Calgary.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 01:38 PM   #160
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm definitely seeing a lot more traction this week with my job search. I'm fairly hopeful I'll find something in the next few months.

For anyone needing to get ahold of EI, there's actually a form you can fill out to request a call back from them.
https://sr-ds.powerappsportals.com/caseintakeen/

I received a call-back about an hour after I filled this out.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post: