Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-02-2019, 10:41 AM   #41
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slava View Post
well it was only 63-0, so i was a little pessimistic!
https://twitter.com/user/status/1179368828612075520
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2019, 10:46 AM   #42
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

haha, that's brutal. I'm actually in a pool where you have to predict every score. I had that game at 63-9...I actually thought that we could get a few kicks somehow, which was giving them too much credit I guess.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:31 PM   #43
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada beat the spread!

That was actually pretty fun for a 63 point game. The ABs showed off their skill with some brilliant set pieces, the Canadian defence gave their all, and the humid slippery conditions created a lot of interesting moments.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:21 AM   #44
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Canada beat the spread!

That was actually pretty fun for a 63 point game. The ABs showed off their skill with some brilliant set pieces, the Canadian defence gave their all, and the humid slippery conditions created a lot of interesting moments.
A push over try in a full international should never happen, especially when both packs are fresh.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:01 AM   #45
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I haven't seen much with the time difference, but was lucky to see live NZ's "try of the tournament" with behind the back passing vs. Namibia.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...ugby-world-cup
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 11:46 AM   #46
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I haven't seen much with the time difference, but was lucky to see live NZ's "try of the tournament" with behind the back passing vs. Namibia.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...ugby-world-cup
That's pretty special, but it has to be measured against the opposition.

I watched the Argies v Pommies game and thought that Owens was very poor in that game. I felt the red card was harsh and was confused on how hitting a player in the air didn't warrant a card.

Over all the quality of the officiating has been substandard.

Quote:
Old 10-07-2019, 12:43 PM   #47
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
That's pretty special, but it has to be measured against the opposition.

I watched the Argies v Pommies game and thought that Owens was very poor in that game. I felt the red card was harsh and was confused on how hitting a player in the air didn't warrant a card.

Over all the quality of the officiating has been substandard.
Yeah the opposition matters for sure, but I've tried dumb things like that a lot of times and I don't know if it ever came off. To do it in a RWC outing is pretty impressive!

Canada and South Africa play tomorrow morning at 4:15am. Canada is +7500 underdogs and the spread is 49.5, in case there are some real degenerates among us!
Old 10-07-2019, 07:43 PM   #48
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

You still have to give credit to the ABs there. That Namibian defence is tough. The score was 10-9 at one point during the first half before New Zealand eventually broke them.

The minnows have learned that anyone can play a tight defence with the right coaching and training. This has allowed them to close the gap and turn formerly boring marches into far most contested ones.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:00 AM   #49
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Red card for the team in red. This is going to get really ugly.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:04 AM   #50
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Red card for the team in red. This is going to get really ugly.
Lol, we've been in it until now! Thanks ref.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:09 PM   #51
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh, I am watching the SA v Canada match at work. This is painful 20 mins in...
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:10 PM   #52
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

The officiating has been good in the Canada game. I think he is one of the best refs in the tournament. I really like how he stops guys from putting themselves offside, keeps a good flow to the game rather than penalties all over the place.

I really hope Canada can put on a good show against Namibia. They need to figure out the line-out in a pretty serious way.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:38 AM   #53
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Calling it now: the final will feature a first half red card and be a total snoozefest.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:57 PM   #54
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like the England France game will be cancelled due to the impending Typhoon. Of course this benefits England allowing them to finish first in their group.

Not sure how I feel. A tournament of this importance should have some contingencies in place however obviously the safety of the players and fans takes precedence.

Edit: This now confirms QF matchups of Wales vs France and England vs Australia. Any predictions? I'll take the easy picks: Wales and England.

Last edited by FireGilbert; 10-09-2019 at 10:59 PM.
FireGilbert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:39 AM   #55
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pool A games at the minute are still a go although there is a chance of Scotland going out to the weather.

If the Scotland Japan game is cancelled Scotland are out (unless Ireland play and lose) and Japan win the group. Terrible way to decide a group.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 07:52 AM   #56
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would suck to get eliminated without being able to play your final match, both for Italy and Scotland. I know Italy in particular are not expected to win but to spend 4 years preparing for this moment only to have your tournament end on the practice pitch would really ####ing sting.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:02 AM   #57
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Looks like the England France game will be cancelled due to the impending Typhoon. Of course this benefits England allowing them to finish first in their group.

Not sure how I feel. A tournament of this importance should have some contingencies in place however obviously the safety of the players and fans takes precedence.

Edit: This now confirms QF matchups of Wales vs France and England vs Australia. Any predictions? I'll take the easy picks: Wales and England.
I don't see how facing the all blacks sooner in the finals is a benefit. There has been a lot of talk that finishing second in this pool would be the better option.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:48 AM   #58
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Brutal.

I get the decision, but there should have been a contingency plan for this type of situation.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 06:52 PM   #59
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I guess the France/England game being cancelled isn't that big a deal. They play each other once a year and will both have a tough route to the finals. You've got to feel bad for the Italians though. 99 times out of a 100 they would lose to the ABs but at least they had that chance. They better not cancel the Scotland vs Japan game. It is shaping up to the be one of the games of the tournament.

This has been a really strange world cup. In some ways it has been the best Cup ever with the crazy Japanese fans really embracing the game, the minnows showing increased competitiveness, and some really exciting creative rugby. On the other hand it has been the worst Cup ever with poor officiating, games dragging from reviews, inconsistent suspensions, and now games being cancelled.

Edit: Supposedly the Italy vs NZ game could have been delayed 24 hours but NZ refused due to having less rest before the QF. The Italians have every right to be pissed. Also Scotland is threatening legal action if their game is cancelled. Oh and I can’t help but thinking the England France cancellation is very convenient giving both teams two weeks rest. What a mess.

Last edited by FireGilbert; 10-10-2019 at 11:42 PM.
FireGilbert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:02 AM   #60
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I guess the France/England game being cancelled isn't that big a deal. They play each other once a year and will both have a tough route to the finals. You've got to feel bad for the Italians though. 99 times out of a 100 they would lose to the ABs but at least they had that chance. They better not cancel the Scotland vs Japan game. It is shaping up to the be one of the games of the tournament.

This has been a really strange world cup. In some ways it has been the best Cup ever with the crazy Japanese fans really embracing the game, the minnows showing increased competitiveness, and some really exciting creative rugby. On the other hand it has been the worst Cup ever with poor officiating, games dragging from reviews, inconsistent suspensions, and now games being cancelled.

Edit: Supposedly the Italy vs NZ game could have been delayed 24 hours but NZ refused due to having less rest before the QF. The Italians have every right to be pissed. Also Scotland is threatening legal action if their game is cancelled. Oh and I can’t help but thinking the England France cancellation is very convenient giving both teams two weeks rest. What a mess.
It sounds like the tournament rules stipulate that if a game cannot be completed on the say it is schedule it would be ruled a 0-0 draw and would not be postponed. It is a ####ty rule and there always should have been a contingency plan in place.

I disagree that Eng/Fra have an advantage with the two weeks rest, neither team has faced a decent opponent yet. I would imagine you want to be pushed prior to an elimination game to see if there are any areas of your game that need to be changed/improved.