Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2020, 03:33 PM   #1181
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've been looking at getting a pellet grill. I'm currently doing my research between the Traeger Pro 575, Broil King Baron 500 & the Green Mountain Grill Daniel Boone wi-fi. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I can't seem to find a ton on the Broil King which I am attributing it to being newer. Due to a nice connection price will be cheaper on the Traeger/BK over the GMG, but it's minimal so we'll call that a wash. Thanks all!
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:00 PM   #1182
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
I've been looking at getting a pellet grill. I'm currently doing my research between the Traeger Pro 575, Broil King Baron 500 & the Green Mountain Grill Daniel Boone wi-fi. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I can't seem to find a ton on the Broil King which I am attributing it to being newer. Due to a nice connection price will be cheaper on the Traeger/BK over the GMG, but it's minimal so we'll call that a wash. Thanks all!
I just got a GMG on Friday but the Jim bowey. Used it twice and had amazing results. 15% off at paradise hot tubs right now.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:56 AM   #1183
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Traegers used to be nice grills, but now that they got bought they are cheap Chinese made over priced tin IMO. GMG Daniel Boone with wifi all day.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:18 AM   #1184
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Green Mountain Grills are made in China as well. Broil King is made in North America.
If that's important get the Broil King. Otherwise, choose the one you like. I have friends with the Traeger and they love it. I have friends with the GMG, and they love it. Really, I don't think you can go wrong. I'm looking at one of these as well, but I just started the process. It takes me a while to choose. Drives my wife crazy.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:49 AM   #1185
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just did ribs a new way. 5 hours at 225, no wrap. brushed with sauce for the last 30 minutes.

Spritzed with 50% apple juice and 50% apple cider vinegar once an hour.

Came out awesome! nice bark, and pulled off the bone clean (but didn't fall off).

I think this might be the way to do it from now on.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2020, 11:53 AM   #1186
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Pulled the trigger and went with the Traeger. They all seemed similar to me and with the price I couldn't pass it up. If anyone has any great apps, that would be much appreciated
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 01:30 PM   #1187
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pulled the trigger and went with the Traeger. They all seemed similar to me and with the price I couldn't pass it up. If anyone has any great apps, that would be much appreciated
Invest in a good meat thermometer. I had a Weber iGrill mini with bluetooth but I found the probes stopped working after 6 months of use or so. Recently switched to a simple grillpro with no bluetooth, it's much more accurate.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2020, 01:57 PM   #1188
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone have any experience with Kamado styled grills? I've been curious about these. I like charcoal, but gas is so much easier. I'm just wondering if there's any considerations other than the obvious styles of BBQ.

Basically, it's been explained to me as: Manual vs automatic transmission cars or a gas/propane BBQ is an appliance and convenient for whenever you want it off or on vs the other charcoal/smoker type versions are more like an experience where you kinda build your day/time around them.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:12 PM   #1189
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you guys using charcoal and smokers every worry about the cancer risks of that? It's one reason I haven't looked into it at all. I'm ok to have it occasionally when I go out for food, but regularly at home seems like a bit to much risk. Or is this one of those "doctors say" things that has been proven/disproven over and over?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:41 PM   #1190
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Do you guys using charcoal and smokers every worry about the cancer risks of that? It's one reason I haven't looked into it at all. I'm ok to have it occasionally when I go out for food, but regularly at home seems like a bit to much risk. Or is this one of those "doctors say" things that has been proven/disproven over and over?
Why live if you are that afraid to die?

But seriously, never thought about it and don't really care to be honest.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:42 PM   #1191
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
what doesn't cause cancer at this point?

It honestly never occurs to me
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:51 PM   #1192
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Not a concern to me. There is increased risk when smoke is created from fat dripping onto the coals, or you char the outside of the meat. Neither of those things happen inside my charcoal smoker, and as long as you use natural lump charcoal instead of chemical injected briquettes, you aren't any worse than any other cooking method. Yes, lump charcoal still gives off hydrocarbons, but sitting around a campfire once a year probably gives me a greater dose than a year of smoking meat.

Theoretically, cooking a steak over a gas BBQ and letting the fat drippings fall onto to the burner will be worse than a smoker.
Old 04-29-2020, 03:05 PM   #1193
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Once you get the coals going, there isn't too much stuff in excess of what a gas/propane BBQ that goes into the air that I am aware of. Some people will put foil on the bottom to protect against stuff getting onto the food, but as far as I know this isn't necessary. More people I've conversed within have concerns about using lighter fluid than the actual charcoal itself.

But let's be honest, part of the reason why charcoal/smoking is tastier is because it's imparting some stuff on our food as it burns. An impurity known as flavour. I'm not going to argue whether it's healthy or not, but it sure is tasty. It's akin to how I always get a chuckle about vodka distillers claiming how pure their beverage is. Yes, the purity is also why this type of beverage is also tasteless.

Eating charred food is bad for you, whether it's charcoal cooked, gas/propane, stove top or oven. I agree you're probably taking in more stuff via camp fire than using a smoker/charcoal bbq.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 05:45 PM   #1194
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Really loving chicken wings on the smoker with my go to Sriracha Lime. Anybody have any other great flavours for the smoker? I’ve tried some of the basics (hot, teriyaki) but I think I prefer my smoked wings a little different flavour profile than fried.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 05:59 PM   #1195
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Does anyone have any experience with Kamado styled grills? I've been curious about these. I like charcoal, but gas is so much easier. I'm just wondering if there's any considerations other than the obvious styles of BBQ.

Basically, it's been explained to me as: Manual vs automatic transmission cars or a gas/propane BBQ is an appliance and convenient for whenever you want it off or on vs the other charcoal/smoker type versions are more like an experience where you kinda build your day/time around them.
I've got both and it depends on what I'm cooking and such as far as what I use. The charcoal (mine is a Broil King Keg), is far more flavourful and basically everything is better there than the natural gas.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2020, 09:19 AM   #1196
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Long shot, but here goes:

I bought a Weber Genesis II 4-burner natural gas grill. Wow, what a great grill. I've had it about 1.5 years.

My problem is it only works sometimes. I'll grill something for dinner, preheat the grill full blast no problem. Turn it down to desired temp then grill.

I'll go back a few days or a week later, turn it on and, nothing. No gas is getting to the burners. There's no smell and no distinct but subtle hissing of the gas entering the burners. I try full blast, medium, minimal, nothing. I disconnect the hose from the house, and I use a tool or my finger to press down on the stopper and gas comes out. I killed the pilot light on my gas fireplace incase there wasn't enough gas pressure or something, and the grill still doesn't get any gas. Super frustrated, I have to think of something else for dinner.

I go back a week later, and the damn thing works again.

Does anyone have any ideas? I gotta think there's a blockage or something in the hose (it's not kinked anywhere) but it doesn't explain why it works 50% of the time. I plan on calling Weber, but I thought I'd poll the horde here.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:30 AM   #1197
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I had a problem like this only with propane. Turns out the regulator was gumming up. Changed it out and works like new.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:31 AM   #1198
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

When you turn the grill off after making your dinner, do you turn the knobs to OFF position and then turn gas off at the "floor" or wherever your gas line is or do you turn the gas off at the floor first with your knobs in the ON position?

I believe you should always shut the gas source off before touching the knobs.
What you describe sounds a lot like air in the gas line.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2020, 09:33 AM   #1199
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keratosis View Post
I had a problem like this only with propane. Turns out the regulator was gumming up. Changed it out and works like new.

Cool I’ll look into it. Thank you.

I misremembered and I had the thing for less than a year. So I’d be annoyed if I had to change something already.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:07 AM   #1200
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
When you turn the grill off after making your dinner, do you turn the knobs to OFF position and then turn gas off at the "floor" or wherever your gas line is or do you turn the gas off at the floor first with your knobs in the ON position?

I believe you should always shut the gas source off before touching the knobs.
What you describe sounds a lot like air in the gas line.
Is that true? I'm pretty new to the NG BBQ, so I just do my best to remember to turn the gas line off. I always turn the knobs off first, but I could change that if it should be the other way around?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber