Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 04:03 PM   #61
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils'Advocate View Post
Okay. I made the plunge today. My Panasonic TH50PX75 comes next week. Future Shop has it on sale for $2799. I asked Audiotronic to match and the guy said, "I'll do you one better and make it $2699". I'm, like, okkkkaaayy.... I thought since we were negotiating I was supposed to be the one negotiating down.

Anyhow, long story short, I was blown away with the picture and I thought I had researched everything. Except that I forgot that at times I may want to hook up my computer. There is no VGA jack on the TH50PX75. However, I also am going to need to upgrade my computer soon and the latest Macs come with DVI output. Which I have never heard of. Can you convert DVI to HDMI? Is there an easy way to convert VGA to component?
You can get DVI to HDMI or vice versa computers all over the place, they are fairly common place now.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:06 PM   #62
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anyone know how to adjust the alignment on a TV more specifically a Toshiba 52HM84? The alignment on TV is off and I have no idea how to fix it and my googling hasn't come up with anything. Any ideas?
Old 05-19-2007, 04:45 PM   #63
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSpooge View Post
Anyone know how to adjust the alignment on a TV more specifically a Toshiba 52HM84? The alignment on TV is off and I have no idea how to fix it and my googling hasn't come up with anything. Any ideas?
If you mean your TV suffers from overscan and the picture on SD is barrel shaped and is not centered, I have the same problem. I use zoom, so I don't notice it but to correct it you have to go into your TVs sevice menu. This isn't recommended as you can do easily do permanent damage to your TV but if you do, write everthing down before you change anything. Another option is to get your TV professionally calibrated. Here is a list of calibraters.

http://www.imagingscience.com/isf_search.cfm
Old 05-19-2007, 05:00 PM   #64
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
If you mean your TV suffers from overscan and the picture on SD is barrel shaped and is not centered, I have the same problem. I use zoom, so I don't notice it but to correct it you have to go into your TVs sevice menu. This isn't recommended as you can do easily do permanent damage to your TV but if you do, write everthing down before you change anything. Another option is to get your TV professionally calibrated. Here is a list of calibraters.

http://www.imagingscience.com/isf_search.cfm

I mean the that if I watch sports the bar at the top with the score etc slants from left to right... its not much but it still fing annoying. And this is on my HD chans.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:15 PM   #65
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean the that if I watch sports the bar at the top with the score etc slants from left to right... its not much but it still fing annoying. And this is on my HD chans.
On my Toshiba I go to Menu-Setup [tools]- Image Tilt. Hope that helps some.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:36 PM   #66
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
On my Toshiba I go to Menu-Setup [tools]- Image Tilt. Hope that helps some.

If only I had the option to do that... my TV has barely any setup options in the main menu...
Old 05-21-2007, 03:37 PM   #67
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I had a CRT TV that tilted left or right depending on how the TV was oriented relative to the Earth's magnetic pole. Moving the TV so that it faced approximately north or south (IIRC) would straighten the picture - Not exactly a convenient solution.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:21 PM   #68
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
I had a CRT TV that tilted left or right depending on how the TV was oriented relative to the Earth's magnetic pole. Moving the TV so that it faced approximately north or south (IIRC) would straighten the picture - Not exactly a convenient solution.
There's a good thought. cSpooge, do you have any speakers or other magnetic sources near your TV.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:31 PM   #69
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There's a good thought. cSpooge, do you have any speakers or other magnetic sources near your TV.
now that you mention it, I could partially straighten the picture by moving my sub-woofer to one side or the other
Old 05-21-2007, 07:27 PM   #70
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

My sub and my LF is 6 inches to left of my TV but like a foot below as well. I have my centre speaker on top of the TV and my RF speaking is off to the right of my TV by a couple feet.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:03 PM   #71
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My sub and my LF is 6 inches to left of my TV but like a foot below as well. I have my centre speaker on top of the TV and my RF speaking is off to the right of my TV by a couple feet.
I'm no expert on this but maybe try moving them farther away from your TV. I should do the same.
e
Old 05-21-2007, 08:57 PM   #72
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I'm no expert on this but maybe try moving them farther away from your TV. I should do the same.
e

I have no idea where I would move the centre speaker though.....
Old 05-27-2007, 01:51 AM   #73
Juventus3
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

that shouldnt matter. TV's these days have compensation for magnetic fields created by speakers for that exact reason. Also, I'd be shocked if the speakers weren't magnetically shielded.

If you're using a cable or SAT box, do they not have an image adjusting setting?
Old 05-27-2007, 08:00 PM   #74
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventus3 View Post
that shouldnt matter. TV's these days have compensation for magnetic fields created by speakers for that exact reason. Also, I'd be shocked if the speakers weren't magnetically shielded.

If you're using a cable or SAT box, do they not have an image adjusting setting?

Unless I'm missing it the shaw PVR's only have the option to change the type (ie 1080i/720p/etc).
Old 05-28-2007, 07:52 AM   #75
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Just to clarify- centre channel speakers are typically magnetically shielded. However your front speakers or sub can still cause interference as often those are not shielded.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:29 PM   #76
Cerebral
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm looking to buy a PS3 and a new HD TV some time this summer - would it be wise to buy a TV soon or should I wait a little while longer? Are there going to be big price drops any time soon or should I just buy one when I have the cash available?
Old 05-30-2007, 08:04 AM   #77
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

As a general rule, price drops happen right about now; as spring is when the new "model year" starts for TVs.

Of course with anything electronic anything could happen; and you could find your TV cheaper exactly 8 days after you buy it.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:43 AM   #78
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

HD is so last year. Super Hi-Vision is where it is at!
Quote:
Japanese broadcaster NHK has come up with what they call Super Hi-Vision, and it puts HD to shame with an insane resolution of 7680x4320. Yeah, that's the equivalent of 16 HDTVs crammed into one.
By about 2020 this may be the standard!
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 05-30-2007, 09:26 AM   #79
Doctordestiny
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Good deal on TVs

Compusmart is closing its Edmonton stores and everything is on sale starting tomorrow. I'm considering upgrading my TV. I'm wondering what CPers think about these products and prices:

Sony Bravia 32-inch LCD TV - reg. 1600, sale 999
Sony Bravia 40-inch LCD TV - reg 2500, sale 1499
Sony Grand Vega 50-inch LCD TV rear-projection - reg 2000, sale 1300
Sony Grand Vega 55-inch LCD TV rear-proj - reg 2500, sale 1500
Samsung 40-inch LCD HDTV - reg 2500, sale 1599

Should I be going HDTV (I suppose so) for my next set? Should I go rear-projection? I've always thought Samsung was a poorer make, but the above set is the highest-priced of all of those TVs. What about Samsung?

Any and all advice appreciated.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:56 PM   #80
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Samsungs are pretty good LCD TVs, and that $1599 for a 40" is a pretty good price (depending if it's a current or really old model I guess). The Sony 40" is probably the tunerless model, I think FS has it for the same price.

The Bravia 32" for $999 is pretty sweet, I'm actually gonna go check that out today, I need a new 32" TV.

Any new TV should be HDTV, and if you game or watch lots of movies I'd probably suggest getting a 1080p set just to futureproof yourself (though there's lots of things that show 1080p at reasonable viewing distances doesn't add a whole lot).

Rear projection you have to worry about bulbs over time, but you can get a much larger TV for the same price.

For prices of LCDs, I've been reading that LCD panel prices have actually been going up recently, but TV makers are holding the line on prices (increasing TV prices is usually suicide), so the opinion I've been reading is that LCD TV prices will probably stablize for a while, so no big drops in the immediate future. That's what I've read, who knows for sure.
Closed Thread