Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 11:51 PM   #201
Incinerator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
Well, Sony has released the first OLED display commercially.

Crazy expensive and only 11" but it is the first one. It'll only get better from here.

And Samsung is supposed to have released their LED Backlight displays, but I haven't seen any reviews yet.
That'd look sweet in my bedroom I think a quick weekender in Japan is in order
Old 10-02-2007, 08:18 PM   #202
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has anybody bought an HDPVR box from Shaw lately using the "easy pay" plan? From the website, it looks like it's $21+tax / mo for 36 mo, but I'm not really clear whether or not "administration fees" are on top of that or what..?

Any voices of experience would be welcomed. Thanks
Old 10-02-2007, 08:40 PM   #203
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I just got my Starchoice PVR installed today! I was going to switch to Shaw to take advantage of their free PVR for switching deal, but then Starchoice offered me a PVR to stay with them ($199, not free, but I wanted to stay with SC anyway).

I must say it's pretty cool, being able to record one channel while watching another, or programming it to record something at 3am. I already see the benefit for my kid's shows, he'll get to see more of his favorites.

Anyway, highly recommended.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:06 AM   #204
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I just got my Starchoice PVR installed today! I was going to switch to Shaw to take advantage of their free PVR for switching deal, but then Starchoice offered me a PVR to stay with them ($199, not free, but I wanted to stay with SC anyway).

I must say it's pretty cool, being able to record one channel while watching another, or programming it to record something at 3am. I already see the benefit for my kid's shows, he'll get to see more of his favorites.

Anyway, highly recommended.
I'm amazed at how fast an 8 yo learned to work the pvr. Now I have to go through pages of Lizzie Mcguire type shows to find Ultimate fighter recordings.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:11 PM   #205
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just got back from helping a friend hook up his new home theatre (in a box) and while these things are idiotproof...well, nevermind.

I don't get it. We wanted to hook it up to his satellite receiver (starchoice) and that's it. However, the amplifier unit has one video OUT (yellow) and 2 audios (red white). How the hell does this work? Don't you need an IN on the satellite as well?

After staring in disbelief at the lack of connectivity options, I wondered if what he bought was just a DVD player with a built in amp that comes with speakers. Does that make sense? Would somebody knowingly buy this unit for the sole reason to play DVDs? Without any other connecting options, I can't see what more good this does than that.

Or I'm a meathead for not seeing something so simple.

Here is a link to a similar product (his is a model 55 instead, but the instruction manual shows this model as well in it). He bought it from Costco and oddly, when I google his model, there are only 4 or 5 results.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/products/h...t_tx52txac.asp

Here is the PDF of a similar model's manual. The rear view on page 5 (8,9) is what his looks like.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...NG_CA_0323.pdf

Last edited by burnin_vernon; 10-03-2007 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:27 PM   #206
photon

Exp:

Going by that PDF, on page 5 the rear panel view, item #8 says AUX IN 2 which should be audio in (even though it's right below the video out), as well as #4 Digital Optical Input, which probably could also be used to hook up the Starchoice receiver.

The digital optical output is probably the better choice, if he's got a capable receiver from Starchoice then he'll get Dolby Digital 5.1 with the optical cable.

And make sure you aren't using the yellow video out as well, use the component or HDMI cable (unless he's got a really crappy TV).
Old 10-04-2007, 07:55 AM   #207
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube Inmate View Post
Has anybody bought an HDPVR box from Shaw lately using the "easy pay" plan? From the website, it looks like it's $21+tax / mo for 36 mo, but I'm not really clear whether or not "administration fees" are on top of that or what..?

Any voices of experience would be welcomed. Thanks
I have to talk to them today about getting the hdpvr, but I'd wager that the fee is on top of it. you are talking about the $29 fee right.

edit - It's 21/month with a 1 time admin fee of 29.95

Last edited by DuffMan; 10-04-2007 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:07 PM   #208
Top Shelf
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXguy View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have a Samsung LNR329D(pretty sure that's the correct model #). Anyways, my HDMI connection on the back of the TV has come loose. So basically, if I plug the HDMI cord into the back of the TV, the picture does not show up. All I get is a green screen, but if I wiggle it and hold it without letting go, all is well.

Can anyone recommend a repair shop that can fix this? I think the connection is on a circuit board, so I'm not too comfortable trying to do the repair myself. If anyone can pass on some leads, that would be great.

Thanks.

I know the Samsung Plasmas come with a 2-year manufacturer warranty, that should be covered on there.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:48 AM   #209
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

question here to those using HDMI cables. currently i have my PVR hooked up to my HDTV with HDMI for video, and then a fiber optic cable running from the PVR to my receiver for audio. since i have extra HDMI cables, should i instead run 1 HDMI cable from the PVR to the receiver, and then the 2nd HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV? (it's a Harmon Kardon receiver with HDMI switching) is there any benefit to doing this?
Old 10-05-2007, 07:40 AM   #210
photon

Exp:

I doubt there's any benefit. The only time you don't want to use the optical audio out and use HDMI instead is if the source is high def audio, such as Dolby True HD or DTS HD or whatever, but your PVR likely won't have those (and your receiver has to be able to decode them as well).

For a HD DVD or Bluray player yes (assuming your receiver supports the high def audio and the player can actually stream the digital audio, which not all can), but for your PVR I don't think it's necessary.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:08 AM   #211
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

To me, the only "benefit" is that if you always use your amp, it makes switching easier; ie if you have another HDMI device. It's also handy if you have more HDMI devices than inputs on your TV.

But then if you want to watch the news and not have to run that audio through your amp, you'll be SOL.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:08 PM   #212
Juventus3
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Are there any devices which are made just for HDMI switching? I'm really starting to regret not buying an HDMI switching receiver last year.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:24 PM   #213
photon

Exp:

Yeah, OPPO has a good inexpensive one actually.

http://www.oppodigital.com/hm31/

Cheap too compared to some out there.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...01&cp_id=10110

There are some others, make sure and get one that's HDMI 1.3a.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:14 PM   #214
Juventus3
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah, OPPO has a good inexpensive one actually.

http://www.oppodigital.com/hm31/

Cheap too compared to some out there.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...01&cp_id=10110

There are some others, make sure and get one that's HDMI 1.3a.
Thanks!
Old 10-11-2007, 04:29 PM   #215
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if this should go in the computer thread or this one...

Ok, so I want to hook up my computer to my TV. I would like to keep a high quality connection between the two. My TV has one HDMI input which is currently being used by my PVR. My graphics card (8800 Ultra) has two DVI slots and a VGA with adaptor. My TV however does not have a DVI slot. What is the best way to wire this up? Monoprice sells this, but I don't know if it's any good, or if I should use one of those power units. Any suggestions?
Old 10-11-2007, 04:32 PM   #216
photon

Exp:

That takes a signal and splits it, what you need is an HDMI switcher like Juventus3 was asking about, and a DVI to HDMI cable. Then you can switch between the HDMI sources. You'll have to add audio cables as well.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:48 PM   #217
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks Photon. Dang I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy all that. Maybe I'll buy all that stuff in a couple weeks. Does DVI not have audio, because HDMI does have audio, right?
Old 10-11-2007, 11:22 PM   #218
photon

Exp:

DVI doesn't have audio no.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...nufacture=BENQ

Some screens will accept 1080p over component, so something like that might be worth playing around with.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:12 AM   #219
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Just to throw a potential wrench into things- isn't the DVI output from your computer different than the DVI output from something like a satellite receiver?

All I know is the DVI out from my receiver would not go into a DVI monitor. Or maybe I was doing something wrong.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:40 AM   #220
photon

Exp:

There's different kinds of DVI (single link, dual link, etc) so yeah sometimes you have to get the right cable. But I use the DVI for my satellite receiver for my TV now. I used to use a DVI cable with a previous TV, and now I use a DVI to HDMI cable.
Closed Thread