Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2020, 11:45 AM   #1621
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Lol, as if it's only Spurs supporters who complain about officiating!
Uh huh....sure. Whatever you say there Mr. "Liverpool arent leading the League by the most significant points-gap in League History because they're that good, its because of favourable officiating and luck...."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 12:32 PM   #1622
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Uh huh....sure. Whatever you say there Mr. "Liverpool arent leading the League by the most significant points-gap in League History because they're that good, its because of favourable officiating and luck...."

Liverpool is the best team in the league and I don't debate that. I just don't think their record overrates how good they are. That doesn't mean that it's all down to officiating and some lucky bounces. Why can't it be both that they're good and they've had some favourable decisions and bounces?

And as far as today goes, the officials were a mess. Dele could well have had his leg broken and somehow it's a yellow card. When Son tackled Gomes earlier this year he gets a red ostensibly because his leg breaks. The announcers today are prattling on about Sterlinf having no intent, ergo it's not a red. Intent is just not a factor; it's either reckless or it's not. So that's ridiculous.

Then VAR checks whether Lloris should be penalized and rules there's no foul. How does Sterling not get a card for diving? It's beyond any rational explanation. If there's no foul, he dove and tried to draw a penalty. That's the second time he escaped a red card.

Anyway, we won and have a shot at top four again. Hopefully Chelsea and Leicester keep dropping points and we can build some momentum. Next up is Southampton to keep going in the FA Cup and our only realistic shot at silverware this season.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:16 PM   #1623
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright, moving right along I cant argue that the officiating of that match was anything short of disgraceful and I dont think either team deserved to win that game but City dropping points helps Liverpool and Tottenham accruing points just adds to the 'Undignified Scramble.'

Overall, good results on the weekend, Liverpool win and the rest....is what it is.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-03-2020, 10:45 PM   #1624
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
How Man City are the bookies favourites to win UCL is a mystery. Decent chance they get humiliated by Madrid.
Because their underlying numbers show them as an elite team

In xg and xg allowed they are at 72 and 29 according to infogols numbers, liverpool are at 55 and 28

Theyve been extremely unlucky this season

But that's not the lols so I guess they are a comedy act...
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 03:10 PM   #1625
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dont know how I feel right now.

The Children have Prevailed! But the now the War goes on...

Old 02-04-2020, 03:35 PM   #1626
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel bad for the kid who scored that OG. That's tough.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:48 PM   #1627
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I feel bad for the kid who scored that OG. That's tough.
former Man United youth player, because of course.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 01:21 PM   #1628
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I should've posted yesterday, but Spurs are through in the FA Cup and face Norwich in about a month. It wasn't exactly a deserved victory, and we played rather poorly for most of the first 70 minutes. But, maybe the issue is after a very different style under Pochettino I'm just more accustomed to seeing us play with possession and try to breakdown (often fruitlessly) an opposition. Instead, we're ones trying to hit on the break these days. Regardless though...a win is a win.

Two bits of transfer news. First, the PL will have the window close on September 1 again, and that was probably a foregone conclusion.

There is an article in/on the Athletic today that says City thinks they have a shot to sign Messi this summer. Apparently he has a release clause of some sort that he can trigger and leave on a free transfer. It's a lot of conjecture and such, but still an interesting thought.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:10 PM   #1629
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I should've posted yesterday, but Spurs are through in the FA Cup and face Norwich in about a month. It wasn't exactly a deserved victory, and we played rather poorly for most of the first 70 minutes. But, maybe the issue is after a very different style under Pochettino I'm just more accustomed to seeing us play with possession and try to breakdown (often fruitlessly) an opposition. Instead, we're ones trying to hit on the break these days. Regardless though...a win is a win.

Two bits of transfer news. First, the PL will have the window close on September 1 again, and that was probably a foregone conclusion.

There is an article in/on the Athletic today that says City thinks they have a shot to sign Messi this summer. Apparently he has a release clause of some sort that he can trigger and leave on a free transfer. It's a lot of conjecture and such, but still an interesting thought.
I read this too but I'm skeptical. Barca would have to be criminally insane to have a 'Free-Out' Clause in Messi's contract. Nobody would agree to that. Nobody of sound mind at any rate.

I'm thinking within the context of a contract negotiation that would be a huge give on the Club's part, what did they get in return for agreeing to a clause that could ostensibly cost millions?

I can understand why a player would want something like that, he could have his pick of any club in the World and on a free his wages would be astronomical (Alexis Sanchez: Hold Messi's Beer), but whats in it for the Club?

Old 02-06-2020, 05:46 PM   #1630
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I read this too but I'm skeptical. Barca would have to be criminally insane to have a 'Free-Out' Clause in Messi's contract. Nobody would agree to that. Nobody of sound mind at any rate.

I'm thinking within the context of a contract negotiation that would be a huge give on the Club's part, what did they get in return for agreeing to a clause that could ostensibly cost millions?

I can understand why a player would want something like that, he could have his pick of any club in the World and on a free his wages would be astronomical (Alexis Sanchez: Hold Messi's Beer), but whats in it for the Club?
Maybe he would have left 3 years ago otherwise? I don't know - can't think of much else. Maybe some marketing rights?

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:54 PM   #1631
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Maybe he would have left 3 years ago otherwise? I don't know - can't think of much else. Maybe some marketing rights?
Spanish Marketing Rights are an unmitigated nebulous disaster as it is so I have no idea, especially considering I think he was already found Guilty in Tax Court for squirrelling that cash away and is subject to a suspended sentence?

Who knows in Spain...

Maybe he would have left 3 years ago, he could have done that anyway. Thats the advantage of being one of the best players in the World, you can quit on your team anytime you want and there'll still be a lineup of teams willing to take you and pay for the privilege.

I'd concede that its possible that they threw that in there for a 32+ year old Messi as a concession, but you'd think any club would still want a transfer fee for a player like him, just two years ago a 30 year-old Ronaldo fetched €100M.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:47 AM   #1632
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Every player in Spain is required to have a buyout clause in their contract. With a player like Messi it's usually set at an exorbitant number that nobody would pay, but with a team like Man City I'm not sure that's even possible. According to Wikipedia his buyout is set to €700 million.

Edit: nevermind - I just looked at the Athletic article referenced and it claims he has a clause letting him walk for free which I agree is hard to believe.

Last edited by Arsenal14; 02-07-2020 at 08:50 AM.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:06 PM   #1633
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Manchester United have accused the Sun newspaper of receiving advanced notice of an intended attack on the house of executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward.

The club has filed a complaint to the press regulator regarding the Sun's coverage of the attack on 28 January. The newspaper confirmed a reporter attended "following a tip-off that there was to be a protest". But it added it was not made aware of "what was to take place nor incited it or encouraged any criminal activity".

In a statement, Manchester United said: "The Club believes that the Sun newspaper had received advance notice of the intended attack, which included criminal damage and intent to intimidate, and that the journalist was present as it happened.

"The quality of the images accompanying the story indicate that a photographer was also present. Not only did the journalist fail to discharge the basic duty of a responsible member of society to report an impending crime and avert potential danger and criminal damage, his presence both encouraged and rewarded the perpetrators."
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-51420844

https://twitter.com/user/status/1225884249200480257
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 04:51 PM   #1634
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Unreal. It doesn't need to be said that this is incredibly scummy. They knew something was going down and decided to get the scoop instead of alerting authorities?
Old 02-12-2020, 12:58 PM   #1635
nixon45
First Line Centre

Exp:

Chelsea have verbal agreement with Ajax to sign Hakim Ziyech for €45m in summer.

Love this for Chelsea. They need creativity in the worst way.
nixon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nixon45 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 09:43 AM   #1636
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^Unreal. It doesn't need to be said that this is incredibly scummy. They knew something was going down and decided to get the scoop instead of alerting authorities?
It's The Sun.
I'm sure you're aware of their history.
This is a perfect opportunity for United to join the list of clubs that have banned them. The question has to be asked why havent they?

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:32 AM   #1637
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man City has been banned for two Champions League seasons.

merry Christmas boys.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 11:53 AM   #1638
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

So does that mean that 5th place now qualifies? Or does the PL lose a spot?
Old 02-14-2020, 12:00 PM   #1639
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm wonder how fast Pep leaves City now in the summer.

Can't see him staying there with no CL for two seasons. Plus players are going to ask to be sold.

Which kills me because I hate Pep, and the rumors have him ending up at Juventus in the summer. Yuck.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:02 PM   #1640
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oil money lawyers going after UEFA to boot? UEFA might get destroyed too. This might be the best thing ever.