Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 09:35 AM   #41
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

My Dad has decided not to eat any more vegetables - but he is 77.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:14 AM   #42
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Maybe he needs these special, team influenced Skittles...

Last edited by ricosuave; 02-22-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:23 AM   #43
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not really an issue right now if his fitness testing is in the Elite zone. The concern greater than vegatables would be commitment to offseason fitness and strengthening. We don't have any info on what he does for that so its just fear mongering at this point.

I would suspect that not eating vegetables does not have a causation effect on performance that could be measured. It may correlate with other behaviours that lead to performance decline.

Taylor Hall never ate Bananas and this correlated with poor performance until he got out of Edmonton.

So nothing to worry about provided training and fitness goals that the Management sets are being met. When he is 28/29 and needs a new contract that takes him to 37 that is when this discussion could be relevant
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 10:29 AM   #44
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
Nothing wrong with this thread IMO. Johnny is an elite player? Could he be better? Who knows. But if he focused on nutrition and fitness, it wouldn't hurt

Crosby is a generational player but if he wasn't so dedicated to his craft, he probably wouldn't be as good as he is right now. He'd still be elite and one of the best players in the NHL, but I don't think he'd be the best.

I think if Johnny was more conditioned, would he have a couple more goals? Would those goals be in OT to win the game? Late in the third to tie one up? Could be the difference between a point or two. Which could also mean playoffs or not.
Is it confirmed he doesn't focus on fitness? The guy says he doesn't eat vegetables and now he's bordering on being out of shape. Odd because in that video Bennett says Johnny's in "unbelievable shape."
The Following User Says Thank You to mikeecho For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 10:36 AM   #45
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think Johnny should start eating vegetables or trying to bulk up like Martin St. Louis an extra 15-20 lbs and he'd lose half of his speed.

Wayne Simmonds has really skinny legs and he's a pretty good hockey player
Old 02-22-2018, 10:48 AM   #46
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That's it, its clear that this is a significant problem for the team. First of all, he doesn't eat vegetables. Second of all clearly unlike all other super athletes he refuses to eat his food in a form of highly concentrated bars.

I mean, he's clearly not unleashing the awesome powers of skittles by crushing hundreds of them into a super concentrated power skittles bar.

Clearly something has to be done, and we have to do it, not only for the good of the team. But the good of the organization and society as a whole.

We have to trade him to the Oilers.

I know that this would hurt, but clearly Johnny's dietary habits are no good at all. Frankly he also probably not only eats a lot of Skittles, but he probably eats a lot of cake with skittles on it, which makes him a skittles abusing cake eater. He has to go.

Because somebody has to think of the children. How can parents encourage their kids by saying

"Now Junior, if you don't eat your vegetables, you'll never grow up to be tiny and skinny and ridiculously skilled like Johnny"

I mean frankly won't somebody think of the children?

We clearly have to cut ties with Johnny, he's clearly one of histories greatest monsters and he needs to go to Edmonton. I mean clearly a carnivore like Johnny would clearly fit in with a dressing room full of inbred, banjo playing hicks better then he would fit in a dressing room filled with veggie eating physical specimens with a huge reservoir of overwhelming effort like the flames.

why I bet that Hathaway, who according to the Flames broadcast crew isn't afraid to unleash the awesome power of the carrot by compressing several hundred of them into one easy to eat power bar.

It would be tough to see Johnny go and slowly slide on the orange and blue of the Oilers, and frankly he hasn't helped the flames out at all with this admission, I mean it clearly reduces Brad's trading options

Chia - "I don't know Brad, I'd be doing you a favor, considering that Johnny doesn't eat veggies.

I'll give you a 6th round draft pick and a power bar maker"

Tre - "Well it is for the good of the team"

Writers note - the above is not realistic and is a dramatization based around the concept that Chia can actually negotiate anything beyond his shoe laces and that's questionable.

Frankly gentlemen, we clearly want a dressing room full of veggie chomping supermen. Its easier on the team, its image and the pipes.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 02-22-2018, 11:35 AM   #47
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll say this:

While I agree that this thread is silly to bring up when Gaudreau is having a career year and is consistently in the top 5 for scoring, there is something to be said for career longevity due to taking proper care of yourself. Sure, he's in his mid-20s right now, and he can get away with not eating well or doing enough to stay in shape, but that will catch up with him as he approaches 30. How many of you ate poorly in your 20s only to have it catch up with you once you hit your 30s? Quite a few I would guess. He has enough raw skill to be a good player into this 30s, but how good he is and how long he plays into his 30s will be determined by things like...yes...eating your vegetables.

So while this thread is silly right now, it's something to consider after this current contract is up. Guys like Giordano got a deal into his mid/late 30s because he treats his body like a temple. You could argue the same thing about Iginla since he drastically changed his training habits and diet to prolong his career as long as he has. Management takes the risk on aging players only if they indicate they have good habits to sustain their playing career. I just hope Gaudreau realizes that at some point he will have to bite the bullet and do what all the other players do if he wants to maintain a long career.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 11:40 AM   #48
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
Is it confirmed he doesn't focus on fitness? The guy says he doesn't eat vegetables and now he's bordering on being out of shape. Odd because in that video Bennett says Johnny's in "unbelievable shape."
Pretty soon he’ll be photographed eating hotdogs with Kessel.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:23 PM   #49
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
It's no secret that Johnny loves his Skittles and Mountain Dew, but if he's a sports athlete being paid millions a year to play hockey at the highest level, shouldn't he have some accountability in eating better so he'd perform at his best?
Let's take this a step further regarding accountability for diet. Zdeno Chara attributes his resurgence this year to a plant based diet. No longer eats beef, chicken, pork, or dairy and says he's never felt as good physically. “I know for a fact I’m playing with a lot more energy and I’m recovering faster.”

Maybe we should be scrutinizing the diet of all players who eat meat as there is the possibility that they could be performing better if they went 100% plant based.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...B7N/story.html
Old 02-22-2018, 12:32 PM   #50
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

If everyone stopped eating vegetables, think of how many plants would not die a premature death.

Johnny doesn't eat vegetables because he loves plants and values their lives.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:36 PM   #51
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I will follow up with what Cali said and say long-term performance and rest/recovery improves as you get older with proper nutrition.

I don't think Johnny's hands and puck handling abilities would improve if he had more vegetables but I do think speed can be affected long term. The rest and recovery situation changes as you get older as you need more rest and recovery in order to perform but you need to do more and more work in order to maintain the same level of fitness and performance, sometimes usually more.

The truth is that for a lot of players and even for regular people, what you can get away with lifestyle and nutrition wise in your 20's doesn't translate to into your 30's, 40's etc The separation happens in performance and age usually in your 30's and if the drop in performance is great, no matter who you are, your banished by the fans and the league in general, Johnny Hockey or not. Hypothetically, if in 10 years Johnny doesn't have the speed or point production, what are you keeping him around for?? Physical play?

I don't think diet would REALLY help Johnny's play today of serious significance but I do think if the decline starts it can be pointed to as a culprit when looking back.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:43 PM   #52
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
Let's take this a step further regarding accountability for diet. Zdeno Chara attributes his resurgence this year to a plant based diet. No longer eats beef, chicken, pork, or dairy and says he's never felt as good physically. “I know for a fact I’m playing with a lot more energy and I’m recovering faster.”

Maybe we should be scrutinizing the diet of all players who eat meat as there is the possibility that they could be performing better if they went 100% plant based.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...B7N/story.html
Well... there is science to support that 100% plant based diet (Non-GMO, ideally) is the better eating plan for mankind. But lobbyists would have you believe differently because.. well..

This adds a bit of a growing concern for me towards Johnny... His contract is insanely good for his production and I think BT hit the term out of the park.
I feel we will see an eventual sharp decline from Johnny if he doesnt change a few things over the next few years.

I feel hes a bit immature for his age in the way he laughs off his diet.. I mean, his body is his main tool for earning a living.

But something that has began to bother me is his attitude on the ice.. On TV, all too often he can be heard dropping an F-Bomb when getting back to the bench. Its not that hes pissed or swearing that bothers me.. but it comes across as a bit of a tantrum? The optics for me is that he wants everyone to know that things didnt go the way he wanted and he wants them all to know hes pissed off and screams the F-bomb.. Quit whining, bear down and make up for it next shift.. This also brings me to the other part that makes me question his maturity... His goal celebrations when he tries to look tough when he scores..
Hes not a tough guy.. quit making angry faces like you just destroyed the planet with your goal and are now showing everyone that you are a beast..

Anyway... these arent major things and certainly arent worth harping about, but simply some observations that I have that im curious if anyone else notice and are a bit taken back by it and question his maturity a bit?
Old 02-22-2018, 12:59 PM   #53
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Well... there is science to support that 100% plant based diet (Non-GMO, ideally) is the better eating plan for mankind. But lobbyists would have you believe differently because.. well..

This adds a bit of a growing concern for me towards Johnny... His contract is insanely good for his production and I think BT hit the term out of the park.
I feel we will see an eventual sharp decline from Johnny if he doesnt change a few things over the next few years.

I feel hes a bit immature for his age in the way he laughs off his diet.. I mean, his body is his main tool for earning a living.

But something that has began to bother me is his attitude on the ice.. On TV, all too often he can be heard dropping an F-Bomb when getting back to the bench. Its not that hes pissed or swearing that bothers me.. but it comes across as a bit of a tantrum? The optics for me is that he wants everyone to know that things didnt go the way he wanted and he wants them all to know hes pissed off and screams the F-bomb.. Quit whining, bear down and make up for it next shift.. This also brings me to the other part that makes me question his maturity... His goal celebrations when he tries to look tough when he scores..
Hes not a tough guy.. quit making angry faces like you just destroyed the planet with your goal and are now showing everyone that you are a beast..

Anyway... these arent major things and certainly arent worth harping about, but simply some observations that I have that im curious if anyone else notice and are a bit taken back by it and question his maturity a bit?

Do you not mean "peoplekind"???

All kidding aside I read the same piece about Chara's diet and I think there is a little bit of resurgence in this for some athletes. Max Pacioretty this year is known to have gone to a plant based diet and the most famous athlete to go primaraly plant based is Tom Brady.

For years people would ridicule Brady for his diet and his "system" for maintaining his performance. The last few years though he has gotten more attention in a positive sense as his performance really hasn't declined despite being 40 years old and still being a top 3 QB in the league.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:06 PM   #54
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

JG should be paying more attention to what he eats, but it's not a big deal it this stage. Guys like Gio or Iginla probably didn't focus on diet in their early 20s either. It's something they probably turned their minds towards as their careers went along.

for fun:

Old 02-22-2018, 01:18 PM   #55
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Do you not mean "peoplekind"???

All kidding aside I read the same piece about Chara's diet and I think there is a little bit of resurgence in this for some athletes. Max Pacioretty this year is known to have gone to a plant based diet and the most famous athlete to go primaraly plant based is Tom Brady.

For years people would ridicule Brady for his diet and his "system" for maintaining his performance. The last few years though he has gotten more attention in a positive sense as his performance really hasn't declined despite being 40 years old and still being a top 3 QB in the league.
My wife and I moved from a pretty unregulated diet to strictly Paleo last summer and for the first few weeks I felt ill.. But I tell ya, it has been one of the best things I have ever done in my life for myself. Second to quitting smoking.

I have so much energy during the day and when I start to feel hungry, I never crash, I simply become increasingly hungry without a sharp drop-off to becoming "hangry".. My mental strength or Will to overcome in real strenuous tasks has become incredibly strong, and I no longer find myself dragging my @$$ in anticipation of a job being finished for the most part. I'm able to focus more on the task than the relief of it being over.. if that makes any sense.

Point is, I had never considered that my diet played with my head and willingness/determination until this last year and I am strongly convinced that diet plays a large part in mental health deficiencies, now more than ever.

For example.. When I started Paleo, I was on Whey Protein shakes to supplement my food-source intake. I was becoming increasingly agitated in the morning and while getting ready for work I would find myself over-heating physically which would lead to anxiety about going to work... I switched to a Pea based protein Non-GMO, (Most Soy is GMO, about 98% of worlds supply, corn about 90%, FYI), SO I avoided a Soy based protein.
Point is, my body became more regulated in temperature, I became less agitated in the morning with very little anxiety and that changed my entire outlook for the remainder of the day.. One minor change in my diet..
Old 02-22-2018, 01:29 PM   #56
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe your just allergic to Soy GMO or not. Paleo vs an unregulated diet is not a valid comparison to show Paleo is better. You went from unregulated to regulated and noticed improvements.

So your headline should be eating healthier made you feel better. (Rather than the Anti-GMO, Pro Paleo stance you are taking)
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 01:36 PM   #57
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Maybe your just allergic to Soy GMO or not. Paleo vs an unregulated diet is not a valid comparison to show Paleo is better. You went from unregulated to regulated and noticed improvements.

So your headline should be eating healthier made you feel better. (Rather than the Anti-GMO, Pro Paleo stance you are taking)
Well... for one I am Anti-GMO and Pro-Paleo... Im not trying to disguise that.. I dont know why you would try to call me out on it.

Im not allergic to Soy.. I avoid it for reasons I already explained.. I maybe allergic to Whey, but my Anxiety and unregulated temperature existed before I started the Whey shakes, so no change there says that wasnt the catalyst.

In terms of my diet, unregulated to Paleo. At 39 years old, I know the difference in what I eat and how it effects me.. the change to Paleo has changed many things in quite positive ways including mental health.. I'm not sure why you would want to doubt someone who makes that claim and is living the change.. pretty wrong for you to do so..

What experience do you have with different proteins, Paleo versus unregulated diet and other ways of eating naturally?
Old 02-22-2018, 01:36 PM   #58
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the record, I am not allowing my son to read Johnny's quote.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:39 PM   #59
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

Taylor Hall never ate Bananas and this correlated with poor performance until he got out of Edmonton.
That's probably because if Hall was caught eating bananas he'd end up on the cover of National Geographic.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:47 PM   #60
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not really something the Flames will have to worry about on Johnny's current contract.

It may be better for the Flames long term if someone else takes on Johnny's contract from 29-36 anyway.

Not even looking at the diet aspect, but looking at some of the other contracts signed around the league (Toews,Seabrook,Parise).

Gaudreau may be the guy that plays well until 36 or he may be leaving his peak right at the start of a new contract that will no doubt be very, very lucrative.

For sure he won't be a bargain contract anymore. I'd say enjoy the next four years, and fret about his diet when there is talk about him potentially signing an extension.
Closed Thread