Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2011, 01:20 AM   #261
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

http://www.avsforum.com/ is all you need.
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aegypticus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2011, 09:57 PM   #262
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Any recommendations for blinds? We have a walkout with some good sized windows, and I want something that works well to make it dark when needed. I was thinking of those ones that goes from the bottom up for privacy....any suggestions?
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:57 AM   #263
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

www.blinds.com

These guys are great, i had my entire how done by them and half my blinds are motorized. The best part is they cost about 1/3 of the price of ones found up here.

there is also a ca version but much much more expensive and less options. There is an easy way to have them shipped to Canada, if you go with them and need that info then just pm me.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2011, 09:25 AM   #264
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah blinds.com is way cheaper.

Any reason not to post the method in thread? I'd be interested too as replacing the builders blinds is something we might do soon.

We did the cellular blackout blinds for the walkout basement, the ones that will do top down or bottom up, and they work pretty good. Still a bit of light at the edges though but it's enough to make the screen usable. If we wanted we could add drapes at the sides and it would be 100%.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:26 AM   #265
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks guys I'll check that out. How do you like motorized? I was thinking of that too.

I already did most of my wiring, but would still be able to pre-wire it if I decide I want to.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:15 PM   #266
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
We did the cellular blackout blinds for the walkout basement, the ones that will do top down or bottom up, and they work pretty good. Still a bit of light at the edges though but it's enough to make the screen usable. If we wanted we could add drapes at the sides and it would be 100%.
Did you install them yourself or did you have them installed? Blinds.ca seems to have some decent stuff and good prices too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
half my blinds are motorized. The best part is they cost about 1/3 of the price of ones found up here.
What's involved in the motorized blinds? Do they plug in or do they have to be pre-wired? This project just keeps skyrocketing in options and price...

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 08-01-2011 at 10:18 PM.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:24 PM   #267
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Is there a separate setting for the audio output on the xbox like there is on the PS3? If so, is the audio set up to be outputted via HDMI?
No separate setting. Just set your audio on the Xbox 360 to be Dolby Digital 5.1. Then you have to plug in both the HDMI cable and the HD-AV cable and run the TOS-link to the receiver. You have to use a screwdriver to remove the plastic casing on the HD-AV cable or the HDMI cable won't fit at the same time.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:14 AM   #268
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Did you install them yourself or did you have them installed? Blinds.ca seems to have some decent stuff and good prices too.
I did them myself, I had newer windows with lots of room to mount so it seemed like an easy job. It wasn't easy, but it was pretty straight forward.

Getting someone to install might be hard if you order from blinds.com as people want you to purchase from them too (unless you just get a general handyman kind of thing). I think if you order from blinds.ca though they have installers they recommend or contract with.

Quote:
What's involved in the motorized blinds? Do they plug in or do they have to be pre-wired? This project just keeps skyrocketing in options and price...
I think some are actually batteries.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2011, 10:42 PM   #269
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah blinds.com is way cheaper.

Any reason not to post the method in thread? I'd be interested too as replacing the builders blinds is something we might do soon.

Funny thing about your blackout blinds, we had the same thing and added the drapes on the side.

Also, i didn't mention it just cause it's a long explanation and I didn't have the time. It's a forwarding company out of Blaine, WA who do NOT use couriers and will ship USPS. Thus no brokerage fees and their fee is very small. I did our entire house (about $2000 worth of blinds) and the fee was like $15-$20 and total shipping was around $50. The best thing is that they will bundle your boxes together into one shipment to cut down the costs for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
Thanks guys I'll check that out. How do you like motorized? I was thinking of that too.

I already did most of my wiring, but would still be able to pre-wire it if I decide I want to.
Mine are batteries. I used the lithium so they will last for a long time. I ordered 3 sets of blinds with motorization but they ended up doing all of them at no extra charge.

Quote:

Installed them myself which was very easy. The ones i got were battery operated. Comes with IR remote.

(FYI we have 2" faux wood blinds throughout the living & dining room and cellular top/bottom blinds in every other room.)

Last edited by csnarpy; 08-02-2011 at 10:46 PM.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #270
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Are there any recievers that can take 2 feeds in and distribute them both out to different zones with them both playing at the same time?
I've got the Denon 2808CI and it can do that with up to 3 zones.

Question about remotes. Has anybody opted for the RedEye mini/iOS device combination instead of a Harmony?
Old 08-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #271
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I know mine has 2 zones a/b I wonder if it will work? I will have to do some reading and figure it out
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:38 AM   #272
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
I know mine has 2 zones a/b I wonder if it will work? I will have to do some reading and figure it out
What's the make/model?
Old 08-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #273
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know a place where I can find the most reasonable prices for replacement bulbs for a projector? (i.e. Optoma HD20)
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #274
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
What's the make/model?

sound - Onkyo HT-S5100 7.1 (just got this yesterday and need to set it up) here is the system I don't have the actual model number till I get home tonight
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #275
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone have any suggestions for in-wall or in-ceiling rear speakers? Or are both wall and ceiling speakers still horrible.... I'm hoping no as I assume most rears are more for environment effects.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:33 PM   #276
photon

Exp:

Why not wall or ceiling mounted like this?

http://axiomaudio.com/qs4.html
Old 08-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #277
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's mostly just personal preference... those are too high profile, I'd rather something that installs into the wall/ceiling as opposed to sticking out of it.

Edit: I've been looking on monoprice mostly so far.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #278
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
It's mostly just personal preference... those are too high profile, I'd rather something that installs into the wall/ceiling as opposed to sticking out of it.

Edit: I've been looking on monoprice mostly so far.
Here's a post I made in a thread about TVs, but you can see my in-ceiling Monoprice speakers in the photos. I couldn't be happier with my living room Home Theater setup, and I highly recommend the Monoprice speakers.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpos...8&postcount=22

Edit: I have two Monoprice in-ceiling rear speakers as well, but obviously you can't see them in the photos.

Last edited by Komskies; 08-04-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #279
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

What made you decide to do ceiling instead of wall Komskies?
Old 08-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #280
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
What made you decide to do ceiling instead of wall Komskies?
Overall we just liked the clean look of the ceiling speakers. If someone wasn't looking for speakers, they probably won't even notice them. That said, I'm sure they look really nice when wall mounted as well.

It's a new home so we had the opportunity to put a bunch of conduit in and wire it all up before any drywalling was completed, which was really nice.

If you're on the fence about them, I give them my 100% stamp of approval. I doubt theres a comparable speaker out there that can compete with these in the price:quality ratio.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote