Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2019, 12:07 PM   #161
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Monahan absolutely lacks intensity, to me he doesn't deserve to wear the A. He's a good player, and he finishes and puts up points yet. But he always disappears. Yes, he played with a broke thumb, but Ryan O Reily played with cracked rib during the cup run, was an absolute beast and won the Conn Smithe. That to me, is a guy who is a warrior.

Last game of the playoffs, Johnny getting manhandled by two guys and Monahan just gingerly skates over and tugs on a guys shirt? No wonder Johnny plays scared, he has no team mates to back him up. Especially in an elimination game, Monahan showed no bite, and no emotions whatsoever, how is this guy considered a leader for this team?
camm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to camm13 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 12:08 PM   #162
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camm13 View Post
Monahan absolutely lacks intensity, to me he doesn't deserve to wear the A. He's a good player, and he finishes and puts up points yet. But he always disappears. Yes, he played with a broke thumb, but Ryan O Reily played with cracked rib during the cup run, was an absolute beast and won the Conn Smithe. That to me, is a guy who is a warrior.

Last game of the playoffs, Johnny getting manhandled by two guys and Monahan just gingerly skates over and tugs on a guys shirt? No wonder Johnny plays scared, he has no team mates to back him up. Especially in an elimination game, Monahan showed no bite, and no emotions whatsoever, how is this guy considered a leader for this team?
Only because you’re drawing this comparison. In what way is ROR a beast that Monahan isn’t? He was dead last in hits on the Blues last year. 39.

ROR is a great player, but just reading between the lines here I don’t think he brings the ‘intensity’ you’re claiming.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:10 PM   #163
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Six months ago people were saying ROR was a loser and a guy you can't win with
Old 07-16-2019, 12:17 PM   #164
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hope Monahan's late season and playoff issues can be significantly attributed to his broken thumb. I'm certainly willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I really can't stand the armchair criticisms of players "not tough enough" to play through injuries. Doubt you guys have ever played sports. There are some injuries you can play through because they just cause some pain or discomfort, and there are others that dramatically affect your ability to utilize the skills that make you a useful player. A broken thumb counts as the latter. More significant and painful issues, even something like a herniated disc could be played through with less impact on performance but make you miserable off ice post-game and may diminish your quality of life once your career is finished.

From everything I have read and heard about the matter, it seems like Monahan has the same Neanderthal approach as some of you advocate. To the detriment of himself and the team, he has tried to play through injuries, accumulated more injuries and his injuries have got to the point where he required surgery to recover from them.

I get why he isn't a fan favourite in terms of showing energy, passion and hard-nosed play, and I wish he'd engage a little more too, but I don't think he's soft. If he plays at the same pace he played the first two-thirds of last season and through the playoffs, I think it puts to bed the notion that he isn't a first-line centre.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:24 PM   #165
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

For a guy who spends as much time as he does in the slot getting molested, he has shown tons of intensity by going back there time after time and potting 25 to 30 goals a season.

I've never seen him shy away from the goal mouth.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 12:30 PM   #166
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The second he broke his thumb, he should have been pulled and rehabbed.

This happened last year, too. I'm not sure how much of this is on the player and how much is on the organization.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:31 PM   #167
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

This happened last year, too. I'm not sure how much of this is on the player and how much is on the organization.
My guess is it's the player. There were reports last year that he got very upset last year when they shut him down
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 12:35 PM   #168
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camm13 View Post

So out of four other skaters, you single out Monahan for that? It strikes me that a broken thumb is probably not something you fight a lot with.

And Monahan doesn't "always disappear". The previous time in the POs he was just fine. 4 goals and an assist in 4 games, to lead the team. And those weren't just feeding off of Gaudreau, who had only 2 assists and no goals.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:37 PM   #169
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
My guess is it's the player. There were reports last year that he got very upset last year when they shut him down
Wish he'd get upset on the ice.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chummer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 12:39 PM   #170
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

They were in the POs. As much as he can be excused for not being 100% effective, the POs is not when you pull and rehab guys who are able to play.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:45 PM   #171
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
If he can improve his skating and intensity level he could totally be in that group. The problem is that Monahan by nature is not an intense guy so I just can't ever see him bringing that to his game. He can learn to skate better, he can't really change his natural makeup.
I don't think Steve Yzerman has had an emotion in his entire life.

Stanley Cup? Act like you've been there.

Wedding day? Act like you've been there.

First born? Act like you've been there.

Point is, you don't have to get fired up to lead a team in the playoffs and win cups. Monahan is even-keeled, so in theory you should get consistency out of him.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 01:01 PM   #172
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post

Point is, you don't have to get fired up to lead a team in the playoffs and win cups. Monahan is even-keeled, so in theory you should get consistency out of him.
Yzerman is also an example of a guy who was pure offence when he started, and really developed a 2 way game as he got older. Monahan can do this too - he has defensive instincts. Hartley complained he paid too much attention to D at times.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:03 PM   #173
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post

Except when he took the greatest slap shot of all time over Casey’s shoulder.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 01:04 PM   #174
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
Wish he'd get upset on the ice.
I kinda like his cold approach, it works for him
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:02 PM   #175
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still of the opinion that it was something in his personal life we are not privy to. He went from having his best ever season to being worse than his rookie season over the all-star break.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:15 PM   #176
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
So out of four other skaters, you single out Monahan for that? It strikes me that a broken thumb is probably not something you fight a lot with.

And Monahan doesn't "always disappear". The previous time in the POs he was just fine. 4 goals and an assist in 4 games, to lead the team. And those weren't just feeding off of Gaudreau, who had only 2 assists and no goals.
Mony was the only player right there. Barrie was all over Johnny and it looked like Mony was asking Barrie so politely to let Johnny go.

That was the straw that broke it for me. No intensity at all.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to genetic_phreek For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 02:19 PM   #177
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Not like Monahan is a big fighter to begin with, also if he was dragged into a scuffle he couldn't throw a punch if he wanted to with one hand
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 02:47 PM   #178
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Yzerman is also an example of a guy who was pure offence when he started, and really developed a 2 way game as he got older. Monahan can do this too - he has defensive instincts. Hartley complained he paid too much attention to D at times.
Yzerman is also one of the greatest to ever play the game. I think Monahan gets unfairly criticized around here, but he has physical limitations too.

I have no issues with his demeanor. And the guy consistently pays the price on the ice to get to scoring areas.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:54 PM   #179
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

dp

Last edited by Strange Brew; 07-16-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:00 PM   #180
PlayfulGenius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Agreed! ... I don't get why there's such an attachment to playing through injury... in most cases, a 2nd-liner is better than an injured first-liner, etc... a player like Monahan would much better serve the team by healing up and being as close to 100% as possible for the playoffs.

Anyway, I know NOTHING about the specifics of this case, so I'm NOT suggesting anyone did anything wrong, I'm just speaking in general terms.

I hate the end-of-season reveal about a player's subpar performance being injury related. My thought is always, " then why the hell were they out there??"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
Yeah, Gagner's line was -4 and Kessel's was +4, so it all evened out.
PlayfulGenius is offline   Reply With Quote