Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2009, 08:35 AM   #1
ok, ok,....I get it
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Maybe we have it all wrong.....

I have been thinking lately, that maybe Canada should stop all international aid and immigration untill we get our social ills sort.

Why are we sending away monies that could be used here in Canada. If was can't ensure a good standard of living for our current populace should be really be bringing more people into the country?
ok, ok,....I get it is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ok, ok,....I get it For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2009, 08:40 AM   #2
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ok, ok,....I get it View Post
I have been thinking lately, that maybe Canada should stop all international aid and immigration untill we get our social ills sort.

Why are we sending away monies that could be used here in Canada. If was can't ensure a good standard of living for our current populace should be really be bringing more people into the country?
Two questions here:

- to the first, our money goes a lot further in other places than it does here (or at least, it should). A lot of our problems (as well as those elsewhere) can not be solved just with money.

- to the second, our economy relies heavily on immigration. You want to see the housing market really crash, try having a shrinking population.

Clearly, you do NOT get it.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2009, 08:40 AM   #3
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

We should just sign free trade agreements with most of the developing world and save our aid dollars for emergencies, like famine.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:44 AM   #4
ok, ok,....I get it
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Two questions here:

- to the first, our money goes a lot further in other places than it does here (or at least, it should). A lot of our problems (as well as those elsewhere) can not be solved just with money.

- to the second, our economy relies heavily on immigration. You want to see the housing market really crash, try having a shrinking population.

Clearly, you do NOT get it.
wow you are really a brain stormer......perhaps discussion on issues could be a good thing....?

to your first point, is quantity over quality better.......I would suggest that focusing on the homeless in our country is money well spend....you may not

secondly, maybe our populace would grow internally if people were not scared of raising kids and the costs associated with it.....
Old 05-20-2009, 08:59 AM   #5
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
We should just sign free trade agreements with most of the developing world and save our aid dollars for emergencies, like famine.
Not the best idea, as jobs will be outsourced to other countries, and Canadian commodities will take a hit.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:14 AM   #6
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
No. We are a havecountry, even if we dont have as much as we used to. We have a moral obligation to assist poorer nations.
Howie_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:19 AM   #7
ok, ok,....I get it
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie_16 View Post
No. We are a havecountry, even if we dont have as much as we used to. We have a moral obligation to assist poorer nations.
I disagree, how can it be a bad thing to focus on "ourselves"......in fact I think if we got our $hit sorted then we may be more useful to poorer nations...
Old 05-20-2009, 09:24 AM   #8
ok, ok,....I get it
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
The problem is our sh$t will never get fully sorted, we will always have social ills, so there will never be a time when the funding would return, so it just remains a juggling act. And also what social ills are you referring to?

I agree it is a broad term, but it could include, but not be limited to, homelessness, substance abuse, etc....

BTW, how do you know it will never work.....has it been tried?
Old 05-20-2009, 09:25 AM   #9
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

a certain % of the population will never want to work or interact with the society in a normal fassion.

IMO it doesnt make alot of sense dumping money to fix that. The easiest solution is to modify the EI scheme so that that those people never get that far. For those who do, sometimes life sucks.

I am in agreement with what the government is now doing, in targeted international assistance rather than giving everyone a small amount.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mykalberta For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2009, 09:37 AM   #10
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Because our 'social ills' aren't created by a lack of money. Well, not generally.

In other words, stopping aid to Afghanistan for example is not going to solve the shortage of hospital beds in Calgary.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:42 AM   #11
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Not the best idea, as jobs will be outsourced to other countries, and Canadian commodities will take a hit.
How will Canadian commodities possibly take a hit with free trade agreements? Potash Corp controls 60% of the world's potash supply, outside of OPEC Canada is the only major oil exporting nation expecting sustained increased oil production. If anything restrictive trade will hurt the price we get for commodities (Anyone remember the phrase "Made in Canada price").

Also what's so bad with letting the premises of 'Competitive Advantage' dictate trade (including the labor market)?

Also isn't closing off countries from participating fairly in our economy but then patronizing them by giving them table scraps a disservice to the development of third world countries?
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2009, 09:46 AM   #12
Ford Prefect
Has Towel, Will Travel

Exp:

nm

Last edited by Ford Prefect; 05-20-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:47 AM   #13
ok, ok,....I get it
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Because our 'social ills' aren't created by a lack of money. Well, not generally.

In other words, stopping aid to Afghanistan for example is not going to solve the shortage of hospital beds in Calgary.
look I know this is a simple discussion of a complex topic, but if Canada only has so much money to play with....if we are no longer spending it on A, perhaps we could focus it on B (in very generic terms)
Old 05-20-2009, 09:49 AM   #14
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
look I know this is a simple discussion of a complex topic, but if Canada only has so much money to play with....if we are no longer spending it on A, perhaps we could focus it on B (in very generic terms)
Ah.

Well, then I would agree. The responsibility of the Canadian government is to look after its citizens FIRST, no matter the cost to the people of other countries.

Which is why I'm getting so pissed off with the storyline in 24.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:24 AM   #15
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Good for everyone in the long run.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:43 AM   #16
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Problem is you will end up dealing with the law of diminishing returns - eventually it will cost astronomical amounts to deal with a smaller and smaller problem - we've encountered that already here.

As for getting our $hit together, Canada has. Our population - even our poorest - have the highest standard of living the human race has ever seen in our existence. Our poor would bee considered wealthy in most other cultures on earth today, and when you factor in historical situations, there has never been a period of wealth like there is right now. Not only are you dealing with dimishing returns, you are now also dealing with moving goalposts - you can't ever score if your goalposts are always moving.

Now, I'm not saying that we shouldn't try to help the homeless or the unfortunate, I'm just saying that you can't solve these problems ever 100%. Ever. It's just a part of the Human Condition. Now, your aid dollars on the other hand... those dollars really give a significant bang for your buck. If you are like me, and find it slightly distasteful that where you happen to be born determines your path in life, then there can be no better use of dollars to help your fellow man. Foreign aid should be increased, not decreased.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:45 AM   #17
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Ah.

Well, then I would agree. The responsibility of the Canadian government is to look after its citizens FIRST, no matter the cost to the people of other countries.

Which is why I'm getting so pissed off with the storyline in 24.
In many ways I disagree with the entire concept of citizenship. Which is one reason I disagree.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:47 AM   #18
ok, ok,....I get it
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
If you are like me, and find it slightly distasteful that where you happen to be born determines your path in life,
if it is so distasteful, you could always re-locate....
Old 05-20-2009, 10:56 AM   #19
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
if it is so distasteful, you could always re-locate....
I have. I used to live in Winnipeg. I can't imagine what my life would be like if I stayed there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Knalus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2009, 10:58 AM   #20
ok, ok,....I get it
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
I have. I used to live in Winnipeg. I can't imagine what my life would be like if I stayed there.
hookers and blow?