Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-25-2023, 10:47 AM   #5261
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
It is fine the vast majority of the time, it's just that when the backup happens, it builds quickly. In all honesty, it is not that bad compared to other locations (e.g. Eastbound Glenmore @ Deerfoot) but what also makes it bad is that the line-up is in the center lane, so it also creates issues with traffic trying to get off to Sarcee or on from 37th etc..

Probably heartbreaking for those deep SW commuters who thought they'd had that "life changing" improvement to their commute to downtown, only to see it gradually evaporate.
"Heartbreaking"

So dramatic.. U-turn at 69th, or go through Grey Eagle to TT parkway.

5 minute detour isn't nearly as bad as being ring road-less.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 12:16 PM   #5262
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Typical Calgary/Alberta infrastrucutre building strategy - they have years/decades to plan and design, and at the end building a less than adequate product to save a few bucks. I would think if it was a dual-lane loop at the get go it would cost maybe an extra $3 mil, now if they want to twin the loop, it probably will cost $30+ mil
That is, unless I'm right in my assumption that they deem a dual-lane loop of that radius to be unacceptable from a safety perspective, in which case the alternative would be far more than $3M to move the substation, or $50-100M for the interchange to be a 4 level monster of which there is only one in the entire county.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 04:10 PM   #5263
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
"Heartbreaking"

So dramatic.. U-turn at 69th, or go through Grey Eagle to TT parkway.

5 minute detour isn't nearly as bad as being ring road-less.
How much volume can those detours handle before they start to fail?
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 04:32 PM   #5264
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
How much volume can those detours handle before they start to fail?
I'm sure the transportation engineers would love access to your crystal ball and seemingly unlimited resources.

This whining is very reminiscent of the whining from Cranston when the SE leg opened.
Old 12-25-2023, 04:52 PM   #5265
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's a reasonable question to ask. When the shortcuts get overloaded, they will implement some kind of measures to disincentivize it. This is distinctly different than the Cranston situation, where the plan from day 0 in the 1950s was for access to adjacent neighbourhoods to be secondary to overall efficiency of the road. WB Glenmore to SB Stoney is a critical movement between two of the busiest roads in the country frankly, and it is served by an undersized loop.

In other news, I'm hearing a couple Cadillac Blackwings set a sub-40 minute laptime last night... that requires an average speed of 155 kph.
Old 12-25-2023, 05:09 PM   #5266
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't explain why there isn't a directional ramp like EB 22x to NB Deerfoot, but all this talk about moving the substation like it is some trivial endeavour is complete nonsense.

As is every other solution that's been suggested.

They did the best with the constraints that exist at that location.

Traffic movements in that part of the city are better now than they were before it opened.

This whining is an insult to anyone who worked on the project and frankly, it's unacceptable.
Old 12-25-2023, 05:16 PM   #5267
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I'm sure the transportation engineers would love access to your crystal ball and seemingly unlimited resources.

This whining is very reminiscent of the whining from Cranston when the SE leg opened.
I'd be pretty surprised if transportation engineers believed that forecasting was some form of magic and outside the scope of their work.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 05:39 PM   #5268
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can't explain why there isn't a directional ramp like EB 22x to NB Deerfoot
There is.

Sarcee/Glenmore is functionally the same as 22X/Deerfoot, 16 Ave NE/Stoney, or Henday NW/Yellowhead; the two more important opposing left turn movements are flyovers, and the lesser two are loop ramps.

Given the constraints at Sarcee/Glenmore, to add a third left turn flyover would either have to be a tunnel under the whole complex, or would have to go over top of the SB-EB flyover which would be massively expensive.
Old 12-25-2023, 05:42 PM   #5269
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
There is.
Not for the movements that you had originally referenced.

It sounds like the most active movements were appropriately prioritized.
Old 12-25-2023, 06:50 PM   #5270
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not for the movements that you had originally referenced.

It sounds like the most active movements were appropriately prioritized.
Yeah I explained that confusingly. What I meant is that it wasn't an oversight, but rather like I said the only way for a directional ramp on the WB-SB movement would be the insurmountable movement of the substation, or a big flyover all the way over top the entire complex which would have been a big challenge given the proximity of 37 St as the approach would have to start really far back, so that leaves only a tunnel.

So finding some way to skew the interchange to give them just enough room to build a 2 lane loop ramp might have been the least of all evils.
Old 12-25-2023, 06:53 PM   #5271
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can't explain why there isn't a directional ramp like EB 22x to NB Deerfoot, but all this talk about moving the substation like it is some trivial endeavour is complete nonsense.

As is every other solution that's been suggested.

They did the best with the constraints that exist at that location.

Traffic movements in that part of the city are better now than they were before it opened.

This whining is an insult to anyone who worked on the project and frankly, it's unacceptable.
I don’t understand this sentiment.

If the design was forecast to have backups at 2023 traffic volumes on that movement then the province should be stating that this was the design intent. If that was the design intent they should be stating the logic behind that decision for the costs.

If one of the movements on a 3 year old interchange backs up while all the other interchanges are functional that is a failure on some aspect of the design. Whether that was justified given the costs to solve the issue and was the issue correctly predicted is something the project owners should be commenting on.

In any project you are held to the design spec. So is this movement handling the anticipated throughout or was the modeling wrong or is it working as intended.

Last edited by GGG; 12-25-2023 at 07:33 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2023, 07:01 PM   #5272
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Yeah I explained that confusingly. What I meant is that it wasn't an oversight, but rather like I said the only way for a directional ramp on the WB-SB movement would be the insurmountable movement of the substation, or a big flyover all the way over top the entire complex which would have been a big challenge given the proximity of 37 St as the approach would have to start really far back, so that leaves only a tunnel.
Agreed.

Having worked on some of the enabling works, a tunnel at that location would have required moving an astounding amount of utilities. Some of these underground utilities may or may not be in the correct locations per the drawings.

I haven't viewed any of the profile drawings for the complex (my project was underground), so not clear if the directional would have been a 3rd or 4th level. You would know better than me why 37th is a constraint, perhaps they could have sacrificed that movement and started the directional much further back.

The road has been open for a week. The current traffic patterns are just that, current. Drivers will adjust and find better routes for their specific trip.

This criticism is way overblown IMO.
Old 12-25-2023, 07:34 PM   #5273
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed.

Having worked on some of the enabling works, a tunnel at that location would have required moving an astounding amount of utilities. Some of these underground utilities may or may not be in the correct locations per the drawings.

I haven't viewed any of the profile drawings for the complex (my project was underground), so not clear if the directional would have been a 3rd or 4th level. You would know better than me why 37th is a constraint, perhaps they could have sacrificed that movement and started the directional much further back.

The road has been open for a week. The current traffic patterns are just that, current. Drivers will adjust and find better routes for their specific trip.

This criticism is way overblown IMO.
The back up at various times has happened over the past 3 months well before the new section was opened.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2023, 07:47 PM   #5274
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The back up at various times has happened over the past 3 months well before the new section was opened.
There is way more volume now leading to late merges, bad driving, etc, that would further confound that movement.
Old 12-26-2023, 12:32 AM   #5275
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

The one advantage of the westbound Glenmore exit to 69 St being a loop is that traffic using it to U-turn only has to go through one light to get back eastbound. Then, it's not like there's a ton of traffic coming out of Discovery Ridge going NB on 69 St in the PM rush, so there'd be a relatively high amount of free cycle time at the southern intersection to heavily favour left turners, as if it were the AM rush.
Old 12-26-2023, 03:09 PM   #5276
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait a minute... couldn't they simply add a mini-exit immediately after the Glenmore overpass bridge? That way you add a 2nd lane to the exit loop leading to TT south without needing to make any changes to the single-lane bridge. But there's probably a reason why it hasn't been considered. Just spitballing here.
Old 12-26-2023, 06:06 PM   #5277
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well I loaded up the kids in the truck, stopped for coffees & hot chocolates and drove the entire loop from Anderson to Anderson. Just a sweet ride. The new section is a definite game changer.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2023, 06:51 PM   #5278
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Technically not part of the ring road but part of the project and a topic of discussion here recently. Speed limit of WB TCH has been raised to 110 now, just as you leave the City. Used to be 80 all the way to Old Banff Coach Road.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2023, 06:52 PM   #5279
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry late to the thread. What part of the SW design is everyone upset about? Thanks.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 07:38 PM   #5280
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Sorry late to the thread. What part of the SW design is everyone upset about? Thanks.
Everything except the WB Glenmore off-ramp to SB Stoney.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote