Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2022, 04:53 PM   #221
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
No official schedule that I can find, but the best way to check is to search for Jeopardy on your TV listings, it usually mentions who the host is for each upcoming episode.

From the patterns I've noticed, it looks like Ken hosts 6 weeks worth of games (30 games), followed by 2 weeks (or 10 episodes) of Bialik. Apparently she only has time to film 10 episodes a month because her other show is taking up the majority of her time right now.

Bialik just finished her latest 2 week stint last Friday, so we probably have another 6 weeks of Ken (including this current week).

Things could always change though. If she's wrapped up filming for her other show she could very well start hosting at least half the episodes, whenever that happens.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2022, 05:23 PM   #222
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I think that's why James was such an outlier. He was both good with the trivia knowledge, but he also had the gambler's heart.

A lot of people have one or the other, but not both.
Pretty easy for Holzhauer to make the call to go all-in when he was also an incredibly good player to begin with with a very broad, deep range of knowledge.

I'm not sure what the "best" betting strategy is if you're not knowledgeable about the category, but at the very least doesn't "blocking" the Daily Double from a strong player help pretty tremendously anyway? E.g. Holzhauer would have been quite considerable neutered if the other players were as adept at finding the Daily Doubles in the first place as he was?

All I know is I tried out for Jeopardy! once and got my ass handed to me, and it gave me a newfound appreciation for just how good at trivia games the people who make it onto the show are. I wouldn't have a hope in hell of making the show. There's a better chance of me becoming a movie star and playing Celebrity Jeopardy! than being Joe Schmoe and making it...
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 03:22 PM   #223
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Pretty easy for Holzhauer to make the call to go all-in when he was also an incredibly good player to begin with with a very broad, deep range of knowledge.

I'm not sure what the "best" betting strategy is if you're not knowledgeable about the category, but at the very least doesn't "blocking" the Daily Double from a strong player help pretty tremendously anyway? E.g. Holzhauer would have been quite considerable neutered if the other players were as adept at finding the Daily Doubles in the first place as he was?

All I know is I tried out for Jeopardy! once and got my ass handed to me, and it gave me a newfound appreciation for just how good at trivia games the people who make it onto the show are. I wouldn't have a hope in hell of making the show. There's a better chance of me becoming a movie star and playing Celebrity Jeopardy! than being Joe Schmoe and making it...
A guy who I went to university with was on Jeopadry a few years ago.

He was good at trivia but I know better. If I recall correctly he was within striking distance of winning but missed Final Jeopardy.

I think there are a lot of factors beyond general knowledge that come into play (use of buzzer, getting the Daily Doubles, categories you're familiar with, etc).

Edit: Found the episode a lot quicker than I thought I would. He did way better than I remembered but still missed final and lost

https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6204

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son

Last edited by Maritime Q-Scout; 04-15-2022 at 03:24 PM.
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 05:22 PM   #224
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I actually think $1 was the correct bet.

If you get it right no matter what you win ($20,401)

If you get it wrong you're maximizing your final total ($20,399).

If the guy in second wagered less than everything, got it right, but Mattea wagered big and got it wrong she'd be in a bigger position to lose. (eg: Mattea wagered $10,000 and go it wrong she would have been at $10,400; whereas if Adam wagered $10,000 and got it right he'd have been at 20,200)

You're playing to win, first and foremost.

That begs the question if you were Adam and got a category you knew nothing about, would you still bet it all or hedge your bet hoping the others didn't know it either?

Last thing you want to do is pull a Cliff Clavin.
See, that's what I was talking about!

Old 04-18-2022, 10:02 PM   #225
Flamesguy_SJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
A guy who I went to university with was on Jeopadry a few years ago.

He was good at trivia but I know better. If I recall correctly he was within striking distance of winning but missed Final Jeopardy.

I think there are a lot of factors beyond general knowledge that come into play (use of buzzer, getting the Daily Doubles, categories you're familiar with, etc).

Edit: Found the episode a lot quicker than I thought I would. He did way better than I remembered but still missed final and lost

https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6204
Small world...Sean and I work at the same library.
Flamesguy_SJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamesguy_SJ For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2022, 12:32 AM   #226
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are now 4 players this season with 10+ wins. Crazy
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 09:02 AM   #227
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesguy_SJ View Post
Small world...Sean and I work at the same library.
Oh really?! I never really got to know Sean that well as he was a year behind me. I helped coach him through a project. Was a good guy, was excited for him when he was on Jeopardy.

Last edited by Maritime Q-Scout; 04-19-2022 at 01:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2022, 05:00 PM   #228
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

First time I saw that... how often has there only been one player for Final Jeopardy?

Old 04-20-2022, 07:57 PM   #229
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha, that's what I came to say. What a beating.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 09:20 PM   #230
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't expect 12 wins from Mattea when she started, well done!

Her knowledge base is very impressive

The solo Final Jeopardy was cool
Old 04-20-2022, 10:24 PM   #231
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Haha, that's what I came to say. What a beating.
Hate to say it because I like Mattea, but she didnt 'beat' them, they beat themselves, she just intelligently allowed them to.

"If your opponent is making mistakes, dont interrupt them."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2022, 11:03 PM   #232
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Mettea is a pure knowledge player, who has started to get a feel for the buzzer with a long run.

Her game play is actually terrible, she threw cash away on a guess when she was basically uncatchable today, she's made 4 or 5 wrong bets on final jeopardy. She keeps talking about the cash she's leaving on the table with double Jeopardy, when I think the conservative strategy serves her well if the goal is a long run, she's not be James good where she can burn too hot win a lot of money and loose a game she shouldn't lose, but still be very comfortable with the purse at the end of the day.

Sometimes it just comes down to the categories, and someone will eventually come along who hits the right ones, until then her conservative game play seems to work well. They worked for me yesterday, I would have smoked her. But today I would have been smoked, I think I only knew about 6 in double, American military figures, European literature and county level American geography aren't my areas. For some reason early modern religious figures seem to strike a chord.

Last edited by #-3; 04-20-2022 at 11:05 PM.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2022, 09:39 AM   #233
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Hate to say it because I like Mattea, but she didnt 'beat' them, they beat themselves, she just intelligently allowed them to.

"If your opponent is making mistakes, dont interrupt them."
Kinda but when the dude went all in on the daily double it was the right play.
Didn't work out, but it was the right play. he played for the win.

It was also one of the most difficult jeopardy's in recent memory. At least for me - I had one of my lowest all time scores.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 10:02 AM   #234
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Kinda but when the dude went all in on the daily double it was the right play.
Didn't work out, but it was the right play. he played for the win.

It was also one of the most difficult jeopardy's in recent memory. At least for me - I had one of my lowest all time scores.
The reason I was saying that they 'beat themselves' was because he was taking high dollar questions (which is a slight pet peeve of mine) so he wasnt allowing himself to grow into the categories which is fine, but then he starts guessing.

Taking High-Dollar questions has a two-fold purpose, either to acquire the value of the clue or to remove money from the board without it going to your opponents.

But then he's buzzing in on questions he doesnt know!

I do agree that the True Daily Double was the right call.

And I dont think I've ever seen a Final with only one contestant. That was like SNL Celebrity Jeopardy type stuff.

Old 04-21-2022, 10:17 AM   #235
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
The reason I was saying that they 'beat themselves' was because he was taking high dollar questions (which is a slight pet peeve of mine) so he wasnt allowing himself to grow into the categories which is fine, but then he starts guessing.

Taking High-Dollar questions has a two-fold purpose, either to acquire the value of the clue or to remove money from the board without it going to your opponents.

But then he's buzzing in on questions he doesnt know!

I do agree that the True Daily Double was the right call.

And I dont think I've ever seen a Final with only one contestant. That was like SNL Celebrity Jeopardy type stuff.
I just think that going all-in on the Daily Double is fine if you have a category that you know a lot about. I'm not sure that it's a great idea if you're just desperate to double up and really don't have a good shot at the topic though. Part of the game is not getting wrecked so that you're still in the game and can challenge. I get that for Holzhauer it worked to go all in, because he knew probably 90-95% of the answers. But if you're sitting at say 65% of the answers, those odds get to be a lot more of a concern.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 12:01 PM   #236
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I just think that going all-in on the Daily Double is fine if you have a category that you know a lot about. I'm not sure that it's a great idea if you're just desperate to double up and really don't have a good shot at the topic though. Part of the game is not getting wrecked so that you're still in the game and can challenge. I get that for Holzhauer it worked to go all in, because he knew probably 90-95% of the answers. But if you're sitting at say 65% of the answers, those odds get to be a lot more of a concern.
As I recall though it was really early in the game. You totally roll those dice. Theres lots of time and money left on the board.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2022, 08:24 AM   #237
homestand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1517998589464616960

So, starting around 3:30 pm MDT on CBC Radio One.

Last edited by homestand; 04-24-2022 at 08:29 AM.
homestand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 10:00 PM   #238
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They all know at least 80% of the answers. If you only know 65% of the answers getting the daily double right is even more important because you will need to get lucky in order to win so being conservative on daily doubles in that case just makes you lose more slowly.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2022, 08:04 PM   #239
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tonight's game was a nail-biter. Didn't think Mattea would get final.

Frustrating seeing her not hunt for the last daily double after she fell behind. She got very lucky today.

Hopefully, that's the closest she'll come to losing for a while.
Old 04-27-2022, 09:54 PM   #240
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
Tonight's game was a nail-biter. Didn't think Mattea would get final.

Frustrating seeing her not hunt for the last daily double after she fell behind. She got very lucky today.

Hopefully, that's the closest she'll come to losing for a while.
She seemed to be trying to talk herself into making it a true daily double (which would have secured the win), and chickened out at the last second.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
double jeopardy , therapists , who is