Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2021, 11:55 AM   #341
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh and apparently Bird is also providing bikes. Sweet!
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 12:02 PM   #342
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Hmm, Bird and Neuron selected for the scooters. No Lime:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1397946293037637633
Probably more behind the scenes, but seems funny at first glance to regulate out the most popular player.
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 12:18 PM   #343
CPK80
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahuch View Post
Probably more behind the scenes, but seems funny at first glance to regulate out the most popular player.
That is how a RFP process works... It is somewhere on the City website, where you can see the original request and how it is even scored... Can't see the responses I believe. So guessing Lime had a lower score than the other two.
CPK80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 01:23 PM   #344
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

My problem is I have a personal Bird branded e scooter from Shoppers Drug Mart and everybody keeps saying I stole it. I gotta break out the spray paint this summer. If the pictured ones are the two new models then that might work since it's visibly different.

I wonder if 1500 scooters will be enough for demand.

I'm also curious why Lime failed to make the grade after their abundant and visible presence the last two years.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 05-27-2021 at 01:25 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 02:22 PM   #345
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
My problem is I have a personal Bird branded e scooter from Shoppers Drug Mart and everybody keeps saying I stole it. I gotta break out the spray paint this summer. If the pictured ones are the two new models then that might work since it's visibly different.

I'm also curious why Lime failed to make the grade after their abundant and visible presence the last two years.
I would keep my personal one looking like the real deal. Otherwise you will be limited to pathways, whereas the money making ones are allowed everywhere but roads.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 02:28 PM   #346
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems quite on brand for Calgary to bring in a company that does not have any operations in North America.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 02:38 PM   #347
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPK80 View Post
That is how a RFP process works... It is somewhere on the City website, where you can see the original request and how it is even scored... Can't see the responses I believe. So guessing Lime had a lower score than the other two.
Quote:

My guess is that Lime wasn’t the cheapest.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 04:58 PM   #348
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
My guess is that Lime wasn’t the cheapest.
Cheapest?? I didn't think it worked that way. The city isn't leasing fleets of vehicles or franchising them. The companies are paying to be granted a permit to do business in this city.

Infrastructure fee - $20 per device x 750 units = $15,000

Security Deposit - $25 per device to a maximum of $15,000

Per trip fee - $0.15 per trip to be paid to the City of Calgary to cover the costs of the program and infrastructure improvements
Old 05-27-2021, 05:03 PM   #349
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPK80 View Post
https://www.calgary.ca/transportatio...pplication.pdf

Appendix F
Old 05-27-2021, 06:53 PM   #350
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are those helmets shown on the Neuron ones a joke? No one is wearing a communal helmet.
jar_e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 09:22 AM   #351
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Birds were out and ready to go this morning on the Riverwalk pathway.
Old 05-28-2021, 10:30 AM   #352
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

The new silver birds are out on the street but they have all the markings and signs for Edmonton left on them.

There are tags that talk about the city of Edmonton and there are markings that say YEG. The strangest thing is there is a giant sticker on most of them above the front footwell that says "NO RIDING ON SIDEWALKS" which will definitely confuse people.

Is that another YEG rule?
Old 05-28-2021, 11:20 AM   #353
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The new silver birds are out on the street but they have all the markings and signs for Edmonton left on them.

There are tags that talk about the city of Edmonton and there are markings that say YEG. The strangest thing is there is a giant sticker on most of them above the front footwell that says "NO RIDING ON SIDEWALKS" which will definitely confuse people.

Is that another YEG rule?
I believe so. Taken from the City of Edmonton EScooter FAQ section:

E-scooters are allowed on roads where the speed limit is 50 km/h or under. E-scooters are not permitted on sidewalks, unimproved park trails, on roadways with the posted speed limit higher than 50 km/h, or on road lanes closed for patio expansion on Jasper Avenue, Whyte Avenue, or Old Strathcona.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 02:06 PM   #354
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Infrastructure fee - $20 per device x 750 units = $15,000

Security Deposit - $25 per device to a maximum of $15,000

Per trip fee - $0.15 per trip to be paid to the City of Calgary to cover the costs of the program and infrastructure improvements
Presumably this is why you can't use a privately owned scooter other than on the pathways.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:01 AM   #355
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last Friday I came across these two Neuron e-bikes at the Peace bridge. The rep there told me they couldn't say if the bikes were coming to Calgary, well as of this morning it seems that they are going to go to Lethbridge (plus the scooters).

https://lethbridgeherald.com/news/le...-april-launch/

I hope we get them in Calgary at some point, I enjoyed the Lime bikes when we had them. With bike theft and concern of leaving more expensive bikes out having that bikeshare option was awesome.
Old 03-25-2022, 10:20 AM   #356
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Last Friday I came across these two Neuron e-bikes at the Peace bridge. The rep there told me they couldn't say if the bikes were coming to Calgary, well as of this morning it seems that they are going to go to Lethbridge (plus the scooters).

https://lethbridgeherald.com/news/le...-april-launch/

I hope we get them in Calgary at some point, I enjoyed the Lime bikes when we had them. With bike theft and concern of leaving more expensive bikes out having that bikeshare option was awesome.
Agreed. the lime electric bikes were great when they were here.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2022, 10:34 AM   #357
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eh, I’d rather ride a scooter then those super clunky lime bikes.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 10:45 AM   #358
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Eh, I’d rather ride a scooter then those super clunky lime bikes.
In some cities there used to be some really nice bikes branded as "JumpOn" or something like that -- they showed up in the Uber app. Those new Neuron bikes look closer to that than to the old Lime bikes. If that's the case, they're going to be a waaaay better to ride than the lime clunkers (and faster than a scooter for getting from A to B).
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2022, 10:52 AM   #359
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I took one of the two for a quick rip, definitely a faster pedal assist than the Lime bikes had. I should have asked the rep if they are speed limited, because you could definitely get cooking on them.
Old 04-03-2023, 02:30 PM   #360
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post: