Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2016, 12:56 PM   #341
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Some people were, and a black guy, but they're mostly Ukrainians and Russians, most of Eastern Europe really. So they dont really count.

Also he did it well. I dont think there was a single 'dick-joke' in Star Wars.
Yeah, I get that post-modernism is kind of irritating, and that this recent feminism revolution is kind of irritating as it seems to be less about how to make women but to make them great at the expense of men.

I just think that getting upset over it makes it worse.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:33 PM   #342
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Yeah, I get that post-modernism is kind of irritating, and that this recent feminism revolution is kind of irritating as it seems to be less about how to make women but to make them great at the expense of men.

I just think that getting upset over it makes it worse.

I think its irritating because its bad. And it appears so bad it should feel bad for being this bad.

Feminist revolution? Misogyny? If anything this is the total opposite. Its taken these women and made them into cartoonish stereotypes. This should be insulting to women the most!

Women should be pleased that men think: 'this isnt what real women are like.'

Now that being said, I obviously havent seen the film, and perhaps its a cinematic masterpiece worthy of the walk of fame, but it will be a long time before I can make that statement because feminism or misogyny aside I havent seen anything here enticing me to actually give money in exchange for this product.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:55 PM   #343
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

50/50 so far with top critics:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gho...pe=top_critics
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:56 PM   #344
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think its irritating because its bad. And it appears so bad it should feel bad for being this bad.

Feminist revolution? Misogyny? If anything this is the total opposite. Its taken these women and made them into cartoonish stereotypes. This should be insulting to women the most!

Women should be pleased that men think: 'this isnt what real women are like.'

Now that being said, I obviously havent seen the film, and perhaps its a cinematic masterpiece worthy of the walk of fame, but it will be a long time before I can make that statement because feminism or misogyny aside I havent seen anything here enticing me to actually give money in exchange for this product.
Good point there. I like that take.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:03 PM   #345
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Glowing, provocative, unexpected review by Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/...ticle30791253/

But in terms of the new Ghostbusters film itself, the premature protesters couldn’t be further off the mark. Paul Feig’s female-led reboot of the long-dormant franchise is thrilling, hilarious, lovingly crafted and the wild, colourful, giddy blockbuster this otherwise staid summer movie season so desperately needs.

Why so many (mostly male) fans of the original series decided to take up arms against this reboot in the first place is a mystery. Well, maybe not so much a mystery as just a dispiriting reminder that misogyny is alive and well on the Internet, where it can metastasize to gross extremes with zero justification. And for anyone eager to stand atop a pedestal to righteously proclaim that objections to a new Ghostbusters simply stem from a frustration with Hollywood exploiting adolescent nostalgia, well, where are all the virulent Internet campaigns against, say, the new Ninja Turtles series? Or the upcoming remake of Pete’s Dragon? Or the continued desecration of the Transformers franchise (if such a thing was ever in a state where it could actually be desecrated)?

No, it is easy to see what the Ghostbusters furor is really about: angry, bored, women-hating men expending otherwise untapped energy mining their own feelings of social inadequacy in a toxic bid for attention. If Sony and the Ivan Reitman brain trust had somehow convinced Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson and the ghost of Harold Ramis to headline a new, straight-up Ghostbusters sequel, surely few of the Internet trolls would object. Just, you know, keep women out of the picture.

From the moment they all cram into a room together – this time above a Chinese restaurant, versus the original’s abandoned firehall – it’s comedic gold. The performers simply click, in much the same way Murray and company seemed so fully formed before Slimer even entered the picture.

But for all its minor faults, Ghostbusters is glorious fun – two hours of wit and wights, the ideal summer cinema that the rest of Hollywood just can’t seem to wrap its head around lately. If all that and the presence of leading women still rankles you, then the movies are better off for your absence.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:07 PM   #346
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great. I hate that from now on, if you don't like the New Ghostbusters movie, you are a going to be labeled a misogynist. Critics like this are not helping.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:10 PM   #347
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Great. I hate that from now on, if you don't like the New Ghostbusters movie, you are a going to be labeled a misogynist. Critics like this are not helping.
Nah, only if you hate it without seeing it.

I expected it would be bad, but now I'm tempted to see it. The cast is talented, but would the writing be good? Seems so.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:10 PM   #348
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Glowing, provocative, unexpected review by Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/...ticle30791253/

But in terms of the new Ghostbusters film itself, the premature protesters couldn’t be further off the mark. Paul Feig’s female-led reboot of the long-dormant franchise is thrilling, hilarious, lovingly crafted and the wild, colourful, giddy blockbuster this otherwise staid summer movie season so desperately needs.

Why so many (mostly male) fans of the original series decided to take up arms against this reboot in the first place is a mystery. Well, maybe not so much a mystery as just a dispiriting reminder that misogyny is alive and well on the Internet, where it can metastasize to gross extremes with zero justification. And for anyone eager to stand atop a pedestal to righteously proclaim that objections to a new Ghostbusters simply stem from a frustration with Hollywood exploiting adolescent nostalgia, well, where are all the virulent Internet campaigns against, say, the new Ninja Turtles series? Or the upcoming remake of Pete’s Dragon? Or the continued desecration of the Transformers franchise (if such a thing was ever in a state where it could actually be desecrated)?

No, it is easy to see what the Ghostbusters furor is really about: angry, bored, women-hating men expending otherwise untapped energy mining their own feelings of social inadequacy in a toxic bid for attention. If Sony and the Ivan Reitman brain trust had somehow convinced Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson and the ghost of Harold Ramis to headline a new, straight-up Ghostbusters sequel, surely few of the Internet trolls would object. Just, you know, keep women out of the picture.

From the moment they all cram into a room together – this time above a Chinese restaurant, versus the original’s abandoned firehall – it’s comedic gold. The performers simply click, in much the same way Murray and company seemed so fully formed before Slimer even entered the picture.

But for all its minor faults, Ghostbusters is glorious fun – two hours of wit and wights, the ideal summer cinema that the rest of Hollywood just can’t seem to wrap its head around lately. If all that and the presence of leading women still rankles you, then the movies are better off for your absence.

Wow.

Okay. Well this guy really went out on a limb on this one. How much did Sony pay him for that article?

If its a good movie, its a good movie. Based on whats been released so far it does not look like a good movie.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2016, 02:12 PM   #349
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spy was the funniest film last year? Ok.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:14 PM   #350
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Nah, only if you hate it without seeing it.

I expected it would be bad, but now I'm tempted to see it. The cast is talented, but would the writing be good? Seems so.
Can I expect it to be bad from the previews, and realize that Ghostbusters was lightning in a bottle, not likely to be repeated(as shown in GBII), not want see it and still not be labeled a women hater?

I probably will watch it one day, like Transformers and maybe the new Ninja Tutrtles when they hit TV, but I don't expect to be laying down money for this.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:16 PM   #351
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
That movie was unwatchable.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:17 PM   #352
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I think this might be Melissa's own publicist writing the review haha
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:18 PM   #353
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I watched it on an airplane, because I had already seen most of the bad movies showing. It wasn't the worst I've seen, but again, I'm not sure who would pay money for it.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:19 PM   #354
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I watched it on an airplane, because I had already seen most of the bad movies showing. It wasn't the worst I've seen, but again, I'm not sure who would pay money for it.
There should be a movie about movies watched on a plane. I cant think of a single time when I checked out the movie selection on a plane and thought to myself: "Sweet! This flight is going to rock!"

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2016, 02:27 PM   #355
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There should be a movie about movies watched on a plane. I cant think of a single time when I checked out the movie selection on a plane and thought to myself: "Sweet! This flight is going to rock!"
My biggest disappointment is when there is an awesome movie that I haven't seen, then realizing I'll be watching it on a washed out 4:3 LCD screen stretched to 16x9 then letterboxed, listening through a static-ey headphone port while interruptions for food, drink, and passenger announcements abound. On the plus side, you do get the true theater experience of someone kicking the back of your seat the whole time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2016, 02:34 PM   #356
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Well I just don't know what to think any more.

That being said, a post in r/movies that got deleted pointed out a lot of the early reviews had come from people who had vehemently defended the movie before release. Take that for what it is worth.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:41 PM   #357
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
On my flight to Whitehorse I got to watch Deadpool from Air Canada, I definitely thought "Sweet! This flight is going to rock!"
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:44 PM   #358
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
If you thought Spy was bad you should check out The Heat. Easily the worst movie I've seen this decade.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:45 PM   #359
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

This tells me all I need to know about this reviewer

Quote:
Having previously assembled note-perfect ensembles for Bridesmaids, The Heat and Spy (last year’s funniest film),
I thought Bridesmaids was massively over rated, the Heat and Spy were illustrations of what a monkey would do if asked to direct a film.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:47 PM   #360
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

From the comments section

Quote:

BobTheBob 9 hours ago
I don't know why but I have a feeling the author of this article in fact thinks the opposite of what he wrote.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote