Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2021, 12:52 PM   #2201
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is there a website where it shows current & ongoing building projects in the city? I'm just wondering what's happening with the buildings along the block directly north of Manulife Place (8th Ave & 5th Street SW). The one is a pretty old yellowish brick building. They've removed and tarped the windows and I'm wondering if they're getting ready to tear it down. This building isn't even labelled on Maps so I have no idea what it's called.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 12:56 PM   #2202
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Skyrise Cities forum may help:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/for...hp?forumid=416
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 01:03 PM   #2203
uofaflamesfan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Is there a website where it shows current & ongoing building projects in the city? I'm just wondering what's happening with the buildings along the block directly north of Manulife Place (8th Ave & 5th Street SW). The one is a pretty old yellowish brick building. They've removed and tarped the windows and I'm wondering if they're getting ready to tear it down. This building isn't even labelled on Maps so I have no idea what it's called.
Do you mean to the south of Manulife Place?

The Barron building there was undergoing a conversion into residential rental units. The developer Strategic Group has run into some financial issues though and the project is on hold.

https://majorprojects.alberta.ca/det...-Renovation/22
uofaflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 01:12 PM   #2204
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Barron Building is back in the planning phase. Conversion to residential apartments pending approval for the City’s downtown development incentive program. With approvals, it’s possible to start seeing some action there before the year is out.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JBR For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2021, 01:13 PM   #2205
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by uofaflamesfan View Post
Do you mean to the south of Manulife Place?

The Barron building there was undergoing a conversion into residential rental units. The developer Strategic Group has run into some financial issues though and the project is on hold.

https://majorprojects.alberta.ca/det...-Renovation/22
Yep, get this girl a compass

Thanks everyone, I'm looking forward to seeing the progress.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 01:23 PM   #2206
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
https://calgary.skyrisecities.com/fo...rategic.29366/
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2022, 10:09 AM   #2207
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I'm not sure if that is correct. Remington land is north of 11 Ave to the CPR lines. Between 11 Ave and 12 Ave east of 4 Street is land that I believe belongs to the Stampede but the building have not been flattened yet and are still in use.
Epilogue, 8 years after this post. It looks like CPR broke a contract to sell the land to Remington and now owes them $163 million. And the province is "liable to Remington for inducing the breach of contract".

https://calgaryherald.com/business/c...n-on-cpr-lands
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2022, 10:25 AM   #2208
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Epilogue, 8 years after this post. It looks like CPR broke a contract to sell the land to Remington and now owes them $163 million. And the province is "liable to Remington for inducing the breach of contract".

https://calgaryherald.com/business/c...n-on-cpr-lands
Haha wow, this quote:

"At a Dec. 4, 2006, meeting, CPR advised the developer that it had decided to sell the 10th Ave. Lands to the province and when Remington founder Randy Remington asserted “we have a contract,” he was told by a railway representative to “get over it,” she noted."

Even if CPR had sold that land to Remington back then I highly doubt they would have been building the Rail Town project by now.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 11:52 AM   #2209
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow! This decision is going to be appealed, no doubt, but in the end, if CPR and the Province actually do have to pay, this would be absolutely stunning. It totally does make sense to recover actual costs, interest and economic loss of profit etc., but the amount of this award is insanely high. Commercial developers normally make 15% gross margin, which goes down to 5% after overhead and before taxes. With consulting costs being relatively low in the preliminary project stages, it must be all economic loss then. Using 5% as a denominator, $163M award suggests a $3.26B project value which is not even remotely close to what Remington was proposing on these lands. Just wow.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2022, 01:55 PM   #2210
Fuzzy14
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Wow! This decision is going to be appealed, no doubt, but in the end, if CPR and the Province actually do have to pay, this would be absolutely stunning. It totally does make sense to recover actual costs, interest and economic loss of profit etc., but the amount of this award is insanely high. Commercial developers normally make 15% gross margin, which goes down to 5% after overhead and before taxes. With consulting costs being relatively low in the preliminary project stages, it must be all economic loss then. Using 5% as a denominator, $163M award suggests a $3.26B project value which is not even remotely close to what Remington was proposing on these lands. Just wow.
Yes, I suspect the appeal is likely to focus on the damages awarded, rather than the actual finding of liability (I admit, I haven't read the full decision yet.... it's 200 pages long. However, given that the trial ended in June and the decision is already out, I think some students clerking at the Court really earned their keep on this one).
Fuzzy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 12:06 PM   #2211
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Changes coming to the Kensington Gate building at the corner of Memorial and 10th street. Word is the rentals are going out, and major renovations to convert units into larger condos.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1630627832937234433
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2023, 12:52 PM   #2212
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

If there's one property that could use a thorough reno/redevelopment, it's that one. It's a pretty high profile location so I hope it's of high quality.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2023, 01:00 PM   #2213
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why does the road bend?
Old 02-28-2023, 01:06 PM   #2214
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Why does the road bend?
I was trying to figure out the elevation of that rendering, I believe it would be the view looking North/Northeast from Memorial and 10A St.

https://goo.gl/maps/2Hp71dDXffp7GeKy5
Old 02-28-2023, 01:15 PM   #2215
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
If there's one property that could use a thorough reno/redevelopment, it's that one. It's a pretty high profile location so I hope it's of high quality.
True, but not sure how I feel about losing rental stock for condos right now.
Old 02-28-2023, 01:23 PM   #2216
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I was trying to figure out the elevation of that rendering, I believe it would be the view looking North/Northeast from Memorial and 10A St.

https://goo.gl/maps/2Hp71dDXffp7GeKy5

Edit: Wait, they listed the wrong street and it's actually 10A? That explains my confusion. Are they reskinning or demolishing what's there and building new?

Last edited by topfiverecords; 02-28-2023 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-28-2023, 01:34 PM   #2217
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it the whole block? You can see development permit sign in GSV.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.05192...4!8i8192?hl=en
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 01:35 PM   #2218
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Edit: Wait, they listed the wrong street and it's actually 10A? That explains my confusion. Are they reskinning or demolishing what's there and building new?
The building covers that whole block from 10A to 10. Reskinning the exterior and a lot of interior changes apparently.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2023, 01:42 PM   #2219
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Haha wow, this quote:

"At a Dec. 4, 2006, meeting, CPR advised the developer that it had decided to sell the 10th Ave. Lands to the province and when Remington founder Randy Remington asserted “we have a contract,” he was told by a railway representative to “get over it,” she noted."

Even if CPR had sold that land to Remington back then I highly doubt they would have been building the Rail Town project by now.
Well they would've had a significant head start on a development plan vs the EV ARP.

How far along was the EV ARP in the mid 2000's? Could Remington not have been further along building Railtown, before the city executed EV?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 09:19 AM   #2220
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great Gulf is selling the YWCA site downtown they purchased back in 2015.

https://renx.ca/an-entire-city-block...wntown-calgary
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post: