Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #181
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

They should make it at least 979 ft so then at least we would have the tallest "building" in Canada.
Maccalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #182
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brookfield has that whole block now, but they are only demolishing the Herald building currently (and not the parkade west of it). So I guess the question is which tower is the taller one on the site plan, east or west?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #183
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Brookfield has that whole block now, but they are only demolishing the Herald building currently (and not the parkade west of it). So I guess the question is which tower is the taller one on the site plan, east or west?
Wouldn't they be likely to do the whole excavation/underground work at the same time, and build the towers one at a time. IIRC most recent projects have done it that way. (ie, Bow, Eighth Avenue Place)
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #184
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Wouldn't they be likely to do the whole excavation/underground work at the same time, and build the towers one at a time. IIRC most recent projects have done it that way. (ie, Bow, Eighth Avenue Place)
I think the difference with this site is that the parkade on the block is still a profitable asset.

But yeah, they may very well do the foundation/parking for both at the same time.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #185
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh boy! Excited regardless of the lame design.

Will be nice to add some more fill into this area of our skyline (especially looking west).
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #186
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This is awesome, except for current Bow Parkade users. Luckily I'm on the wait list at gulf canada city parkade!
morgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #187
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Will be nice to add some more fill into this area of our skyline (especially looking west).
Funny comment, as this is going kitty corner from Suncor, meaning we'll have our three highest towers in a three-block strip. Not exactly spreading the wealth, but maybe it'll help balance The Bow out a bit.

I want renderings!
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #188
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Enough with 7-800'. There are already enough they just look kind of "normal" now. I want an abomination rising far above the rest! A phallus penetrating the skyline for all to see!
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #189
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
. I want an abomination rising far above the rest! A phallus penetrating the skyline for all to see!
Hold on, let me lay down.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #190
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

A bit more description of some of the features of Herald Square:

Quote:
Similar to WFC but without the PoMo glass arches. The glass atrium feature is quite striking and large. Think world's largest Apple store glass cube.

The crown is a bit hard to describe. Imagine clear glass extending about 4 storeys above the top of the top floor, then stick a glass bowl inside it with some interesting lighting.

There is a fair amount of retail on the ground floor fronting the plaza, as well as at 7th/2nd and along 2nd ave. Also on the +15 level. There is a little kiosk at the corner of 7th and 1st.

Cladding was nice. simple.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #191
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
A bit more description of some of the features of Herald Square:
WFC shanghai or NYC?
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #192
Rudee
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My first thought when I saw the words "SSP" in the thread title was this toy from the 70's
Rudee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #193
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Funny comment, as this is going kitty corner from Suncor, meaning we'll have our three highest towers in a three-block strip. Not exactly spreading the wealth, but maybe it'll help balance The Bow out a bit.

I want renderings!
Still adds some fill as I originally stated:

Old 11-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #194
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's my crappy MS Paint showing the new height of Herald Square with the rendering on the diagrams page at Skyscraperpage. Note that the drawing for Herald Square was based on the old rendering we've seen, so it will probably be different. I did this just to show the height difference versus the Bow:

The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #195
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

New renders!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #196
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is Jason Markusoff's article that accompanied those renders, I ran into him at city hall yesterday when I too was looking over the plans with a couple of forumers from SSP:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/al...246/story.html
Old 12-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #197
Free Ben Hur!
Scoring Winger

Exp:

[QUOTE=Tyler;3955607]New renders!

Fugly.
Free Ben Hur! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #198
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having viewed the DP I think this will be a very nice, solid addition to our skyline. The materials look to be excellent and the atrium space between the two towers is going to be an excellent space that can be used for events throughout the year. They are also proposing using the open plaza on the SE section along 7th avenue as an ice rink in the winter, definitely a bit of a Rockefeller centre vibe with that.

The buildings edges start square, but as the tower rises they start to round out more and more. I think this will give it a nice visual effect and make it more than just a box. At the crown of the building the plans are calling for 6 meter sections of curtain wall glass, my SSP buddy that works for an architecture company here in town figures those would be the biggest pieces of glass on any building in Calgary.

Brookfield is definitely going taller than the Bow just because they can, but if things should go very well both of these towers could easily accommodate extra height, they are well within any shadowing restrictions right now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #199
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Brookfield is definitely going taller than the Bow just because they can, but if things should go very well both of these towers could easily accommodate extra height, they are well within any shadowing restrictions right now.
Honestly, this tower should be a 1000 footer. It's a prime location away from the river and and smack dab in the middle of it all. You don't get a lot of chances to build a tall tower in the right place....this is one of those chances.

It's hard to tell without details, but it has potential. The curved edges reminds me of the HSBC tower in London, which has always been one of my favorite boxes. It's design not going to blow anyone away, but it definitely should be a solid addition.

Kind of like the Bow though, it would benefit from another couple hundred feet.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #200
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I wonder when/if the shadow restrictions are going to become a hindrance to growth downtown. Obviously it's a ways off if ever but you'd have to imagine as Calgary grows we'll start to see towers that dwarf The Bow as that has dwarfed the once massive, Calgary Tower.

/Random thought from someone who is fairly ignorant about these things.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote