Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2019, 07:16 AM   #121
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
How do you embed YouTube videos on CP?
[ YOUTUBE ]youtubecode[ /YOUTUBE ]
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:29 AM   #122
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhitbox View Post
What did Ron ever do? I’m not defending him, I just didn’t know people disliked him.
Even ignoring his terrible opinions, what I can't stand is how everything he does now has to be all boo hoo, it's for the kids, sappy music and playing on a frozen pond. It's an odd shtick and it gets old fast.

If Rogers want to save money get rid of that awful hometown hockey stuff. Are viewers really paying attention to him interviewing some 15 year old division 6 goalie talking about their close 7-2 loss the night before?
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 08:39 AM   #123
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhitbox View Post
What did Ron ever do? I’m not defending him, I just didn’t know people disliked him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Much like Cherry, Ron's time has long since passed.

I didnt really like George Strombokljnsfdakjlhunspellabledfakjlnbsd, but he had a new and fresh take on the role and I really think they should have bit the bullet and allowed him the time and freedom to grow into it.

Maclean was terrible when he first started too and he didnt have to live up to Ron Maclean, but his schtick and poetry and everything has to go. And further, for someone who has been involved in hockey for decades and even been a minor referee what he knows about actual on-ice play is pathetic.

Unfortunately for Ron, I dont care who won the World Ice Hockey Championship For Freedom in a snowstorm on a boat off the coast of Non-Confederated Newfoundland in 1947 when the Edmonton Swastikas took on Nazi War Criminals for the right to use the Swastika as their official emblem in perpetuity. Of course Edmonton lost.

I want to see a Celebrity Death Match between Ron and Don and hopefully they let loose decades of frustration with what has been the longest running and most awkward off-Broadway rendition of the 'Odd Couple' known to mankind and just end each other.

And then get George and Leah Hextall to do it. Because I think that would be brilliant.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:42 AM   #124
OldSam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't imagine Don would leave willingly. He knows everything according to him.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:45 AM   #125
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don is still an interesting personality, and he actually does bring an insightful tidbit of analysis usually about once every two episodes. His age IMO is an asset as he brings a different viewpoint to the table compared to the rest of the analysts and 95% of the audience.

When they are ready to do the last season, it should be announced so that he can depart on his own terms. He at least deserves that as Coach's Corner is as iconic as HNIC itself.

Having said all that, I'm curious to see how Burke & Rogers go about making his own new segment. Hopefully Leah Hextall co-hosts with him.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 08:58 AM   #126
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post

If Rogers want to save money get rid of that awful hometown hockey stuff. Are viewers really paying attention to him interviewing some 15 year old division 6 goalie talking about their close 7-2 loss the night before?
So true. If there was ever an argument for PVR, the hometown hockey segments are first ballot. At least the odd commercial is entertaining and potentially relevant to me.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:59 AM   #127
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Don is still an interesting personality, and he actually does bring an insightful tidbit of analysis usually about once every two episodes. His age IMO is an asset as he brings a different viewpoint to the table compared to the rest of the analysts and 95% of the audience.

When they are ready to do the last season, it should be announced so that he can depart on his own terms. He at least deserves that as Coach's Corner is as iconic as HNIC itself.

Having said all that, I'm curious to see how Burke & Rogers go about making his own new segment. Hopefully Leah Hextall co-hosts with him.
Oh, he brings a different viewpoint alright.

He still thinks its 1977 and that Wayne Gretzky was just the next Bobby Schmautz.

What he knows about modern hockey, you know, the game thats being played on either side of his segment? Is pretty thin.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-08-2019, 09:05 AM   #128
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Ironically, Locke, it seems your opinion of Don Cherry is more rooted in 1977 than Cherry's own opinions are.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 09:07 AM   #129
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I think I'm most stunned that Cherry writes so well on Twitter.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:08 AM   #130
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Ironically, Locke, it seems your opinion of Don Cherry is more rooted in 1977 than Cherry's own opinions are.
False. I wasnt alive in 1977.

Old 07-08-2019, 09:41 AM   #131
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
No, no you wouldn’t.

Jesus Christ guys, come on...

Trudeau deserves a little more respect and Cherry deserves a lot less.
I"m like the biggest Liberal on here and i would definitely vote for Cherry over Trudeau! He would still beat up Trump in a barn too!
Old 07-08-2019, 09:44 AM   #132
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Jesus Christ guys, come on...

Trudeau deserves a little more respect
HA!... Jesus Christ is right.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:55 AM   #133
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Every day is a bad look for Simmons.

I wish I could say he's the worst sports journalist in Canada, but he just has so much competition. He probably wins for longevity of awfulness, though. He has been horrible from the very beginning.
Ha. Since Damian Cox has vanished, this award has been up for grabs.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dustygoon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 09:58 AM   #134
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
The Eric Francis award
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:58 AM   #135
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Even ignoring his terrible opinions, what I can't stand is how everything he does now has to be all boo hoo, it's for the kids, sappy music and playing on a frozen pond. It's an odd shtick and it gets old fast.

The hometown hockey stuff is awful. It's so cringeworthy. Who thinks it's a good idea to have kids who are clearly uncomfortable in front of the camera fidget their way through a segment? The whole midget kids teams awkwardly announcing the upcoming games and the forced whooping it up for the camera is really just bad tv. I always feel bad for the kids announcing the 3 stars too.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 10:14 AM   #136
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Every day is a bad look for Simmons.

I wish I could say he's the worst sports journalist in Canada, but he just has so much competition. He probably wins for longevity of awfulness, though. He has been horrible from the very beginning.
I assume that the entire Edmonton sports media group is in the lead. Or are they excluded as "journalists".
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:16 AM   #137
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I assume that the entire Edmonton sports media group is in the lead. Or are they excluded as "journalists".
Journalists in Edmonton. Fan bloggers outside of Edmonton.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:23 AM   #138
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
The hometown hockey stuff is awful. It's so cringeworthy. Who thinks it's a good idea to have kids who are clearly uncomfortable in front of the camera fidget their way through a segment? The whole midget kids teams awkwardly announcing the upcoming games and the forced whooping it up for the camera is really just bad tv. I always feel bad for the kids announcing the 3 stars too.
You make it sound like the kids segments are filmed at gunpoint. That's ridiculous. I am willing to bet that more often than not the kids participating are pretty excited about being on TV with their buddies, or taking about their own hockey team.

As for Hometown Hockey, I have no problem with the show—its one more hockey game per week on the national schedule, and as an out-of-region fan that suits me just fine. As a member of a semi-rural community, I also find myself enjoying quite a few of the pre-game stories—the Okotoks episode that featured the Krebs family last year was great.

As with all things on television, the simple solution is to turn the channel. It's what I have been doing to Don Cherry since 2002.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 07-08-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 10:28 AM   #139
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Also Bruce Dowbiggin.

Steve Simmons is the worst of a dying breed.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:29 AM   #140
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think (but obviously don't know) that a lot of Cherry's supporters like the idea of Don Cherry as opposed to what he actually says in his segments (which IMO are pretty unmemorable for the most part).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:

Tags
bring back howie meeker , edmonton is no good. , old man yelling at clouds