Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2020, 10:04 PM   #2061
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe with the original The Shining, Kubrick went against King's vision and gave subtle FUs to him throughout the film here and there (a google search would find those examples I'm sure). I'm sure King had more say with this film this time around. I dunno - I was annoyed by the hipster feel to the villains in this one. The lady wasn't particularly scary with the English accent, and neither was her side kick. I guess that was the annoyance while watching the flick, which was distracting. If you're going to have evil characters who do evil things, at least don't have them parading around like hipsters.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2020, 10:17 PM   #2062
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Forgot to mention, watched Into The Wild on Netflix and after a search it's over 10 years old. Really good story based on a real life individual. Sean Penn directed. The lead actor has been playing the same character in every movie since, it seems, but nonetheless was one of the top 50 movies I've seen all time.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2020, 10:45 PM   #2063
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I found The Shining references to be a bit too over the top, and seemed to be played for fan service rather than moving the story along.

It's a direct sequel with characters and story threads carried over from the first film. Not to mention that Danny's return to the Overlook is an important part of the plot. Kinda hard to make that movie if you don't reference the original.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:36 AM   #2064
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I believe with the original The Shining, Kubrick went against King's vision and gave subtle FUs to him throughout the film here and there (a google search would find those examples I'm sure). I'm sure King had more say with this film this time around. I dunno - I was annoyed by the hipster feel to the villains in this one. The lady wasn't particularly scary with the English accent, and neither was her side kick. I guess that was the annoyance while watching the flick, which was distracting. If you're going to have evil characters who do evil things, at least don't have them parading around like hipsters.
I liked the movie but it wasn't perfect as I thought it was too long and plodding. As much as I'm smitten with Rebecca Ferguson, I feel she's too stunning to play an evil villain. I think an actress like Eva Green who has the ability to put on that crazy face look would have been better.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 12:38 PM   #2065
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Euro is ion was funny. Super tacky but cute and funny. The American bashing by Ferrel was hilarious.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 12:58 PM   #2066
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Forgot to mention, watched Into The Wild on Netflix and after a search it's over 10 years old.
Glad to see they finally removed that bus.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:15 PM   #2067
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can't bring up Into the Wild without mentioning the epic Eddie Vedder lead soundtrack.

Also, hot tip, do not watch if you are alone in a foreign country missing friends and family. So many feels.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:57 PM   #2068
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Forgot to mention, watched Into The Wild on Netflix.

Hal Holbrook steals the show in that movie. Such a beautiful and heartbreaking performance.

direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 11:29 PM   #2069
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
Glad to see they finally removed that bus.

That must have been pretty recently. I thought some tourist just died not long ago trying to get there or back.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:35 PM   #2070
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That must have been pretty recently. I thought some tourist just died not long ago trying to get there or back.
Just over a week ago, on June 18: https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/a...rnd/index.html
Old 06-29-2020, 10:57 AM   #2071
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
You can't bring up Into the Wild without mentioning the epic Eddie Vedder lead soundtrack.

Also, hot tip, do not watch if you are alone in a foreign country missing friends and family. So many feels.
Vedder's soundtrack was amazing, and overall I enjoyed the movie but I feel that it should be viewed more as a Cautionary Tale rather than an Inspirational one.

This kid had a lot going for him, a lot of advantages and a lot of people willing to help him out and move on with his life.

And yet he died in a bus in the middle of nowhere pursuing an ill-planned and not particularly rational dream.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 11:26 AM   #2072
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Agreed.

Am I the only one who despised his character throughout the movie? Just such a selfish person who consistently thought he knew better than everyone else around him. Someone who was unwilling to heed the slightest bit of wisdom from another person, and it likely ended up costing him his life.

Just a bummer of a film all around.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 11:58 AM   #2073
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Into The Wild was trash.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 12:10 PM   #2074
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I definitely took into the wild as a cautionary tale. I too only recently watched this a couple of months ago. The guy simply was living this whimsical fantasy of being free and really didn't educate himself enough to survive alone in Alaska. The idea is fine in of itself but he just wasn't anywhere close to being ready. If a hunter who gave you a ride to the middle of nowhere says you're not ready and gives you a pair of boots, you're not gonna agave a good time.

One thing to survive warmer climates and a totally different beast surviving the North.

Great movie, but he wasn't smart.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:13 PM   #2075
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is a companion documentary piece somewhere with McCandless’ sister who he was close to and describes his thought process better than “Into the Wild” did.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 12:24 PM   #2076
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
There is a companion documentary piece somewhere with McCandless’ sister who he was close to and describes his thought process better than “Into the Wild” did.
Basically said he knew he was going to die, wouldn’t have eaten that by mistake. Didn’t have a good relationship with his parents, including physical abuse.

Really too bad they painted him as a stupid selfish kid, when there was more to that.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:41 PM   #2077
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been watching the two Kingsman movies the last few days. I've enjoyed them quite a bit - they are a bit silly at times, but pretty fun.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:51 PM   #2078
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just watched Gemini Man.
I don’t know how or why this movie got made. Wafer thin plot, story and character development. I get that this was supposed to be a technological achievement in filmmaking but I don’t care.
Poor CG, an unusually uncharismatic Will Smith, and a plot probably written on the back of a bar napkin. It’s pretty clear to me Ang Lee has no idea how to create proper action sequences (Crouching Tiger aside).
A total yawn fest. I give it an uncanny valley out of 5.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:03 PM   #2079
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

For anyone that missed it when it showed in theatres, 1917 is shown on select days at Landmark theatres.

Most definitely worth a watch in theatres if you haven't seen it yet, especially for 5$. An absolute thrill of a watch.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 03:40 PM   #2080
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
For anyone that missed it when it showed in theatres, 1917 is shown on select days at Landmark theatres.

Most definitely worth a watch in theatres if you haven't seen it yet, especially for 5$. An absolute thrill of a watch.
Absolutely, must be seen on a big screen. I'll be going again.

Also making a point to support Canyon Meadows, gotta love the cheap theaters and I hope they're always around.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote