Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 10:59 AM   #121
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
They were ticketing people going Eastbound and were pulling them over in the parking lot next to that building they're working on, though. Maybe they were speeding haha.
Might have been ticketing for ignoring the 'dismount your bike' signs right by the construction? What is it now...2 years since they started 'work' on that area? Fataing ridiculous.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:04 AM   #122
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Sweet ride. What size frame are your bikes?
56-58. I am 6'1 and they all fit me a little on the small side which I prefer. A friend of mine who is 5'10, borrowed my Trek 2.1 for a weekend, which is a 56, and he felt it fit perfectly.

My Devinci would be closer to a 58, but it is compact geometry, so it is a lot easier to tweak if you are looking to re size it.

I still have to figure out what I am unloading, but I think probably the 2.1, and my Trek 6000 Mtn bike, which just got a big time rebuild, to about a 8000 series hardtail spec.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:27 PM   #123
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio View Post
Might have been ticketing for ignoring the 'dismount your bike' signs right by the construction? What is it now...2 years since they started 'work' on that area? Fataing ridiculous.
Ahh, ok. That makes more sense.

Update from @cityofcalgary:
In response to citizen complaints, Bylaw Services has been educating and warning cyclists about dismounting as directed by detour signage at Memorial Drive and 10 Street, as well as the Peace Bridge detour further east, all summer. As compliance has not been improved, tickets are now being issued. This is a safety issue for all pathway users (cyclists and pedestrians) because of the reduced width.

Last edited by woob; 09-22-2011 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Update
Old 09-22-2011, 01:17 PM   #124
JohnnyO
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio View Post
What I find even more ######ed is the genius who thought that it would be a good idea to resurface the road being used on the southside for the path detour caused by the new bridge. 200m of paving/resurfacing has taken all summer.

Mind Bottling!!
Old 10-04-2011, 08:47 PM   #125
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Ordered my new bike! 2012 Trek Rublefish 29er. Ship date is Oct 24. Common dry weather!!!!

I'm going from a 13 year old Schwinn with 1.5" of travel to this. I can't wait!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2011, 01:02 PM   #126
RatherDashing
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hi guys, I’m looking for some bike advice.

I am planning on commuting by bike this winter. I just recently started riding my bike into work, and am currently riding on an old mountain bike that is in pretty rough shape. I am thinking of upgrading to a better commuter bike.

I am looking for a bike that will be able to handle the crappy winter days in Calgary, but will still be lots of fun and fast to ride around on the nice days. After doing a bit of research, a cyclocross bike sounds like it would fit my needs, but I have a few questions:

1) Will I be able to attach things like panniers or other baggage to a cyclocross bike?
2) Can you get studded winter tires for it? And do people recommend getting them, or just going with regular knobby tires.
3) How will it compare to a proper road bike for riding around in the summer?
4) How will it stand up to icy/snowy roads in the winter? Should I be worried about a new bike getting beaten up by riding it through the winter?

I'm also looking for a recommendation for a good entry-level bike, hopefully under $1000.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:41 PM   #127
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherDashing View Post
Hi guys, I’m looking for some bike advice.

I am planning on commuting by bike this winter. I just recently started riding my bike into work, and am currently riding on an old mountain bike that is in pretty rough shape. I am thinking of upgrading to a better commuter bike.

I am looking for a bike that will be able to handle the crappy winter days in Calgary, but will still be lots of fun and fast to ride around on the nice days. After doing a bit of research, a cyclocross bike sounds like it would fit my needs, but I have a few questions:

1) Will I be able to attach things like panniers or other baggage to a cyclocross bike?
2) Can you get studded winter tires for it? And do people recommend getting them, or just going with regular knobby tires.
3) How will it compare to a proper road bike for riding around in the summer?
4) How will it stand up to icy/snowy roads in the winter? Should I be worried about a new bike getting beaten up by riding it through the winter?

I'm also looking for a recommendation for a good entry-level bike, hopefully under $1000.

Thanks in advance.
1) I rode my Kona Jake the Snake through last winter and it worked out very well. And yes, you can definitely attach panniers, all the necessary braze ons are there.

2) Studded tires work well. I can do either, studded is much safer in the ice of course, but you will roll slower.

3) Nothing beats a proper road bike in the summer. The cross bike is heavier and slower.

4) Your drive train will take a beating. I replace my chain and rear cogs every spring.

1 thing I don't have that I wish I did is disc brakes. I've been spoiled by them on my mountain bike. They work awesome in all conditions.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #128
BlackEleven
Redundant Minister of Redundancy

Exp:

I'll echo the above.

I'd definitely recommend both studded tires and disc brakes to err on the side of safety. The studded tires for the grip and the disc brakes for stopping power in wet conditions (like snow).

Kona make good rugged bikes that can stand up to a lot.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #129
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
4) Your drive train will take a beating. I replace my chain and rear cogs every spring.
Agreed. My rear derailleur was gummed up with rusty grease so bad it would barely shift by the end of winter. I'm riding a POS old bike, but I would recommend cleaning it more than you want to. After a ride home in -20 the last thing you want to do is give your bike a scrub, but you should.

Habernac, do you replace your own rear cogs? If so is it a tough job? I was thinking of buying a set at MEC and trying to throw them on, but I'm worried I'll have troubles getting the shifter adjustment right.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:00 PM   #130
RatherDashing
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackEleven View Post
I'll echo the above.

I'd definitely recommend both studded tires and disc brakes to err on the side of safety. The studded tires for the grip and the disc brakes for stopping power in wet conditions (like snow).

Kona make good rugged bikes that can stand up to a lot.
Disc brakes are definitely something I would want, but none of the bikes that I look at seem to have them. A quick google search shows that disc brakes aren't allowed in cyclocross racing, but would the bikes have the rough-in bits on the forks to upgrade to disc brakes?
Old 10-11-2011, 03:09 PM   #131
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
Agreed. My rear derailleur was gummed up with rusty grease so bad it would barely shift by the end of winter. I'm riding a POS old bike, but I would recommend cleaning it more than you want to. After a ride home in -20 the last thing you want to do is give your bike a scrub, but you should.

Habernac, do you replace your own rear cogs? If so is it a tough job? I was thinking of buying a set at MEC and trying to throw them on, but I'm worried I'll have troubles getting the shifter adjustment right.
I have the tools to do it, but I am still, embarassingly, the worst bike mechanic alive. You need a chain whip and a lockring tool. Your shifter adjustment won't change unless you change your cables.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #132
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Disc brakes are definitely something I would want, but none of the bikes that I look at seem to have them. A quick google search shows that disc brakes aren't allowed in cyclocross racing, but would the bikes have the rough-in bits on the forks to upgrade to disc brakes?
Other cross bikes may have them but mine does not.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #133
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use the KHS Urban X for my winter commuting. It's a solid bike, reasonably priced and lets me attach panniers to the back rack.

In good weather I ride a 2009 Kona Zing. I got a really good deal on it, as the specs were similar to the Haole that year, but it was $900 cheaper. In 2010 they gave greater differences between their bikes the prices reflected it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
Old 10-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #134
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Dunno if it's worth it for you if you are looking @ it purely from a $ point of view...I had this done last year and it cost me (as I recall) maybe $40 to get it done...more than worth it for me cause I believe I can trump habernac in the 'bad bike mechanic' sweepstakes.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:53 AM   #135
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:

Seriously, changing a rear cassette is probably one of the easiest things to do. As long as you replace it with the same cassette that was on before, there is literally no way to f it up. It only goes on 1 way, and there is a cog pattern that has 1 small tooth that you have to line all the rings up with.

Get one of these:

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cyclin...-whip-tool.jsp

one of these:

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cyclin...ol-shimano.jsp

And go on youtube for a tutorial.

Like I mentioned when this thread started, the best investment you can make is the Park tool AK-37 kit.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Tool+Kit.aspx

I picked it up on sale for $199, and as long as you have it, a inch lb torque wrench (for CF bikes), a socket set and a repair stand, you will basically have everything a professional bike mechanic has. Park tool is like the snap on of bike tools. I have this repair stand:

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cyclin...pair-stand.jsp

You will never have to pay for a tune again, and will save a ton of money down the road. There is so much awesome info out there now to help you through it online, especially videos, it does not take long to get tons of confidence wrenching your own bikes. Better yet, if you have a beater, tear it down and put it back together a couple times. Or buy a $50 guinea pig go Kijiji to tear down. You won't regret it, and it is fun. The only thing I suck at is wheel truing, and I will pay to have an expensive wheel trued. But by next season, I think I will have it down, as I finally picked up a proper truing stand.

Last edited by pylon; 10-12-2011 at 03:55 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2011, 05:01 AM   #136
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Ordered my new bike! 2012 Trek Rublefish 29er. Ship date is Oct 24. Common dry weather!!!!

I'm going from a 13 year old Schwinn with 1.5" of travel to this. I can't wait!

That looks badass. I absolutely love any Trek I have ever owned. You cannot beat Trek for value. It always seems whatever bike you are looking at, is $300-$500 less than the equivalents from the boutique brands, yet you give up nothing in quality, in fact it is usually the reverse. You pay less, and get more. Plus I have never had an issue with service. I have had 2 warranty claims on Trek bikes, and they always take care of you.

My Devinci has a cracked fork, and they want nothing to do with it. In fact some jerk wad at their head office in Quebec, told me to F off, and be patient on the phone when I called wondering where my fork I have been waiting for 2 months was. Said I should be happy with a mismatched fork that they originally sent me. Will never deal with Devinci ever again. It is a shame, I expected more from a Canadian company. Only Trek going forward. I would consider Cannondale, as I have had a couple in the past, I just find they don't fit me well anymore, I can never get comfortable on one. They have funky geometry for big guys. They go from being cramped, to being for big giant gigantor people. No middle ground it seems.
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2011, 05:03 PM   #137
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

So I got my bike at lunch, and its awesome! What a huge upgrade.

A question though, I find the brake levers are in a rough spot for one finger braking, as they will squeeze into the knuckles of my middle fingers because the levers are so far to the outside of the bars. I like where the shifters are though.

Can I swap the brake levers to be outside the shifters? Is this ######ed? Then I would have room to have my whole hand on the bar and one finger brake if I want.

Other note. This bike looks HUGE in person. 23" Frame with 29" wheels, I now have the hummer in the bike cage. The bars are soooo wide on it too. I'm kind of nervous about riding through tight trees. I'm going to smoke one for sure while I get used to having my hands so wide.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:51 PM   #138
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
So I got my bike at lunch, and its awesome! What a huge upgrade.

A question though, I find the brake levers are in a rough spot for one finger braking, as they will squeeze into the knuckles of my middle fingers because the levers are so far to the outside of the bars. I like where the shifters are though.

Can I swap the brake levers to be outside the shifters? Is this ######ed? Then I would have room to have my whole hand on the bar and one finger brake if I want.

Other note. This bike looks HUGE in person. 23" Frame with 29" wheels, I now have the hummer in the bike cage. The bars are soooo wide on it too. I'm kind of nervous about riding through tight trees. I'm going to smoke one for sure while I get used to having my hands so wide.
23" Frame?

Are you frikkin Shaq or something?
Old 10-19-2011, 09:55 PM   #139
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
My cyclocross has cantilevers, and I looked into discs but, unfortunately, pretty much any current cyclocross bike (mine included)doesn't have the necessary apertures for discs.

BUT

The ban on disc brakes has now been lifted for cyclocross racing, so next year there should be a broad release of new cyclocross bikes with discs installed.

As much as I love my Masi, I may have to do some upgrading next year. Disc brakes just can't be beat. And a cyclocross bike with disc brakes? That's about the ultimate do-it-all urban assassin.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:15 PM   #140
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
23" Frame?

Are you frikkin Shaq or something?
no, Shaq's is a 30. Hulk's "only" 6 and a half feet tall.

And Hulk, that would be really weird if you swapped your shifters and brakes. Not sure it would work.
Closed Thread