Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #1061
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
If you are downhilling, you should have a full face helmet, as well as a neck brace. This is just my opinion of course. I bought my kids the Leatt Comp in the US. For whatever stupid reason, they're $200 more in Canada. I bought this after my son piledrove his head into a rock, and crushed his helmet. Fortunately it was just a mild concussion, and could have been a lot worse.

Here is a good article on them.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Leatt-n...view-2009.html
I am too old to fully commit to all out downhilling. I have an all mountain bike and I only stick to blue and green trails and try and skip the stunts.

My accident was a result of biting off more than I could chew....
Old 10-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #1062
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I am too old to fully commit to all out downhilling. I have an all mountain bike and I only stick to blue and green trails and try and skip the stunts.

My accident was a result of biting off more than I could chew....
Gotcha, that sounds familiar.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #1063
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just found out that the Police are giving tickets for hitch mount bike racks. $115 for blocking the license plate.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #1064
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just found out that the Police are giving tickets for hitch mount bike racks. $115 for blocking the license plate.
Is that if you are driving around with them empty or even if you are using them to trasport bikes?

I know you see people around with them empty likely because they block photo radar but if they are full I think that is a pretty cheap way to meet the old ticket quota.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #1065
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Is that if you are driving around with them empty or even if you are using them to trasport bikes?

I know you see people around with them empty likely because they block photo radar but if they are full I think that is a pretty cheap way to meet the old ticket quota.
They are giving tickets for both. With bikes and without...

Old 10-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #1066
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know, the rack does block the plate.

I have one of these racks for my rig, and I have been wondering if I would ever get dinged for a ticket for having the plate obscured.......
Old 10-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #1067
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

they gave my wife a warning a couple of years ago, but I've never been bothered.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #1068
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not quite the type of bike you've been discussing, but my new bike is a folding Dahon Boardwalk.
Got it used for 140 smacks. I couldn't justify buying a Strida for 600 bucks. I loved my last one but it's not the most durable bike.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #1069
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just noticed this - the City has identified the next potential location for a bike lane. A lane of 1st St SE (Macleod South) will be converted.
The city is set to unveil plans for a major new downtown cycle track, offering protection for cyclists on a road that stretches from the Bow to the Elbow Rivers, and services such facilities as Olympic Plaza, the Epcor Centre, Stampede Park and a number of major employment centres, including The Bow skyscraper and the planned 58-storey Telus Sky tower.

Unlike the city’s first downtown separated bike lane constructed earlier this year on 7th Street S.W., this plan is being embraced by business groups who say it is being located in a logical location that could serve as a major transportation link and help revitalize street-level business in some areas.

The cycle track, the next step in a developing plan to build a network of bike lanes downtown protected from vehicle traffic by concrete barriers, will see a two-way cycle track built on the east side of 1st Street S.E. stretching from the busy pathways along the Bow River through downtown and the Beltline to the Elbow River near Lindsay Park.
While there's lots of nods from the public at large, as a daily cyclist - that's a bit too eastward to get you to the "Core" of downtown. Yes it's a good N/S route but it doesn't do anything if you want to get to the main towers between 1st SW and 6th SW. Still better than nothing... guess the way to address this will be a E/W route along 7th (or thereabouts)...make it happen!

As a motorist - I'm not convinced that's the best spot either. The left turn off the 6th Ave Flyover into Macleod is busy enough without losing a lane...

http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2013/...ntown-calgary/
Old 12-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #1070
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

^The left turn off of 6th Ave to Macleod is busy, but a very large portion of the traffic then needs to make a right turn within the next few blocks, basically 2 lanes of Macleod are handling all the volume anyway.

I believe Macleod has peak volumes South of the Elbow where it is 3 lanes anyway.

If done properly, this should have very minimal impact on traffic.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #1071
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know how many people have been following the story where Specialized is trying to strongarm a small shop owner in Cochrane to change his business name. Specialized claimed to hold a trademark on the word "Roubaix". The real owner of the trademark has now stepped forward and said the shop can remain as it is. Nice work, Specialized. Hope all the lost business is worth "protecting your brand".

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/north...e#.Uqcy2jiA0dU
Old 12-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #1072
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
I don't know how many people have been following the story where Specialized is trying to strongarm a small shop owner in Cochrane to change his business name. Specialized claimed to hold a trademark on the word "Roubaix". The real owner of the trademark has now stepped forward and said the shop can remain as it is. Nice work, Specialized. Hope all the lost business is worth "protecting your brand".

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/north...e#.Uqcy2jiA0dU
I've been following this. It's been amazing the backlash that Specialized has recieved over this. Good on ASI for coming forward.

Also, no word from Specialized. ######bags. They really don't care. Sinyard is a prick and he'll just ride it out.

Last edited by bossy22; 12-10-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #1073
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Café Roubaix ‏@CafRoubaix 31m
I had a great conversation with Mike Sinyard today, and I am happy to let everyone know that things will be working out fine.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #1074
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Café Roubaix ‏@CafRoubaix 31m
I had a great conversation with Mike Sinyard today, and I am happy to let everyone know that things will be working out fine.
Sinyard wouldn't have said a damn thing had he not been buried in all this negative backlash.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #1075
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

ha ha specialized.....great to hear that a LBS beat a large faceless corporation......
Old 12-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #1076
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Sinyard wouldn't have said a damn thing had he not been buried in all this negative backlash.
Specialized and other big companies send out these seize and desist letters all the time. I doubt Sinyard or anyone at Specialized save for their lawyers knew anything about this one until all the negative backlash spread.
I say good on Sinyard for reaching out himself.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:13 AM   #1077
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...board/follows/

I dunno, saw it on the Globe main page and thought it was local (Canada). That said, what a horrible story and horrible to see all the gawkers standing there taking pictures. Seriously, don't people have better things to do than "snap, snap, snap, LOL, this poor dude got smoked by a car" I need a copy of this for my phone/facebook/twitter/instagram.

Sometimes I hate what the world is becoming.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:08 PM   #1078
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spring is almost here - lets see your new rides for 2014! As a daily rider (yes, even -45 days Sean Chu) I've been able to justify moving beyond my hardtail converted to a commuter to a dedicated uber-commuter bike: a Cannondale Bad Boy 0.

- Alfine 11 Internally geared hub (less maintenance and finicky than a rear D, can shift while still)
- Solo Lefty one legged suspension fork - (yeah, I know it's only benefit is that it looks cool. That and it's the only Alfine 11 bike with suspension available)
-Integrated headlight into stem - in sweep mode looks like K.I.T.T.
- 700c rims
- removed Magura hydros for BB7 mechanicals
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2014, 02:39 PM   #1079
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

^^^

That is a rad bike. I have always loved that single sided fork. Has the same sort of mystique as the single sides swing arms on Hondas Vfrs and Ducatis.

Got out for my first ride in months today, felt good. Just about ditched in a gravel filled shoulder but but some miracle was able to get my foot out of my clip at the last second, and save my precious Devinci.

Edit: and holy f'ing cool stem. Where the hell did you get it?
Old 03-16-2014, 03:24 PM   #1080
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

My summer ride - A Giant Sedona DX