Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2017, 07:38 PM   #1
true#1center
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Versteeg question

I have a question regarding what happened to Versteeg. He was noticeably hurt when he got hit in the knee, the refs didn't call the play dead which resulted in Kris getting hit in the head. So if Versteeg got a concussion from this and never played again, could he sue the four officials for allowing this to happen?

My wife and I were talking about it and got me wondering.
You've got to be kidding me. I've been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. It's just common sense.
true#1center is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:39 PM   #2
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:

If I recall, the play isn't called dead until one of the Flames players touches the puck.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:40 PM   #3
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

They will call it without a touch by the Flames if it's an emergency though. But that's usually a guy knocked out or something like that.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:41 PM   #4
true#1center
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey.modern View Post
If I recall, the play isn't called dead until one of the Flames players touches the puck.
The flames didn't touch the puck after it hit him in the head. They blew it down right away, so that does happen.
You've got to be kidding me. I've been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. It's just common sense.
true#1center is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:45 PM   #5
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

If it were a Canes player and the Flames had possession, we’d be livid if they blew the whistle. I think the refs made the right play, was just really unfortunate series of events.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 07:47 PM   #6
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by true#1center View Post
The flames didn't touch the puck after it hit him in the head. They blew it down right away, so that does happen.
Yes, the refs can blow the play at their discretion. In this case I would say they did a pretty good job not blowing it when Versteeg hurt his knee but then blowing when it looked like he took a puck in the head.

It is just an unfortunate freak thing the 2nd injury only happened because Versteeg was already injured.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:48 PM   #7
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

The shot off the knee doesn’t need to be blown down until the Flames touch it. The shot off the dome got whistled down immediately. It was the right sequence of events.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2017, 07:48 PM   #8
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Yes, the refs can blow the play at their discretion. In this case I would say they did a pretty good job not blowing it when Versteeg hurt his knee but then blowing when it looked like he took a puck in the head.

It is just an unfortunate freak thing the 2nd injury only happened because Versteeg was already injured.
Agree with this. I think Skinner just turned and shot and couldn't stop in time. You could tell he regretted that.
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:49 PM   #9
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Unfortunately we risk situations as the one you posed due to the fact that the NHL doesn't want players embellishing and playing dead to get out of situations where the opposing team is about to score or they're getting hemmed in
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:50 PM   #10
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unless it's a potentially serious injury (like life-threatening serious), they're not supposed to blow it dead until the injured player's team gains possession of the puck. This is to prevent players from faking an injury when they're under heavy pressure.

The downside of that rule is that sometimes we see things like this, or that time a few years ago when one of the Flames d-men took a puck off the ankle and was in obvious pain but couldn't get off the ice or stop the play and ended up taking at least one more heavy shot before the other team scored (I believe it was in OT against Phoenix -- Derek Smith, maybe?).
Old 10-19-2017, 07:51 PM   #11
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:53 PM   #12
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:

From Freeway:

Old 10-19-2017, 07:58 PM   #13
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Yeah but that was against the Penguins. I am surprised that Werenski was not called for Interference. Same team that did not get a penalty for severing a finger.
Firebot is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 08:00 PM   #14
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
That one, I would argue, should have been stopped. Puck to the face and streaming blood onto the ice. I'd argue that crosses the line into "serious injury" territory.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:06 PM   #15
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I forget which player it was but a few years back a player flopped on the ice and the other team picked up the puck and headed up the ice and they blew the whistle killing the scoring chance, and it turned out the player wasn't all that hurt.

So after that injuries require a possession change

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:12 PM   #16
CRXguy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

The downside of that rule is that sometimes we see things like this, or that time a few years ago when one of the Flames d-men took a puck off the ankle and was in obvious pain but couldn't get off the ice or stop the play and ended up taking at least one more heavy shot before the other team scored (I believe it was in OT against Phoenix -- Derek Smith, maybe?).
Wasn't it Backlund?
CRXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:23 PM   #17
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Unless it's a potentially serious injury (like life-threatening serious), they're not supposed to blow it dead until the injured player's team gains possession of the puck. This is to prevent players from faking an injury when they're under heavy pressure.

I think it was Blair Jones
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:50 PM   #18
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
I think it was Blair Jones
Right you are (2:22)...

Old 10-20-2017, 12:47 AM   #19
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

It ticked me off to see Skinner choose that very shooting lane though, as he must have been well aware that Versteeg was down at that point. He was the one causing the situation to begin with and he was close to it facing in the direction of the goal. In my mind he deserved a punch after that sequence.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crapshoot For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2017, 07:51 AM   #20
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah, I think Skinnner really regretted that. Certainly not intentional. He went over to Versteeg and apologized when he came back on the ice.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to East Coast Flame For This Useful Post: