Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-03-2015, 12:41 PM   #81
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds_Buckley View Post
Gob. Their 90's stuff was more punk than pure rock, but they gained more commercial success as the years went on.
Ha. Gob was always a fun set. I remember watching them at Vans Warped Tour at Motorcity Speedway here in maybe '99?

I always loved their cover of Paint It Black.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:06 PM   #82
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Gob. Their 90's stuff was more punk than pure rock, but they gained more commercial success as the years went on.
Didn't know Gob was from north of the border. Good pop-punk music.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:14 PM   #83
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I used to lose my marbles each time this came on MuchMusic:

OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:28 PM   #84
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Yeah Gob was a fun show. Remember those surprise Molson Canadian Rocks concerts where they'd have a band play a small show? I saw Gob at one of those at some bar (can't remember which one, but I think it was on MacLeod). There were maybe 100 people there. It was an awesome show with free beer and free pizza.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:21 AM   #85
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wow. This just made me look into a couple oldies that I used to love driving around in my first little beat up car.

The Odds
Sons of Freedom
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:47 PM   #86
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess it was 80s, but I was surprised to hear the Payolas Eyes of a Stranger playing in Ballers season finale. It seemed very random for a band that I don't think ever made it outside of Canada.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:41 PM   #87
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I guess it was 80s, but I was surprised to hear the Payolas Eyes of a Stranger playing in Ballers season finale. It seemed very random for a band that I don't think ever made it outside of Canada.
I think that song was also pretty big in the US. I remember that song being in a Miami Vice episode.

Wikipedia says the song hit #22 on the US charts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payolas_(band)
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:19 PM   #88
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Eyes of a Stranger" was Payolas song? I always thought it sounded like something like The Police did.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 02:31 PM   #89
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

If you like, I can share my notes on 90s Canadian bands that I research for the radio (I know my music ramblings and self-promotion might annoy some).

Ex.

Sons Of Freedom– “Super Cool Wagon” – Sons Of Freedom
The band, consisting of vocalist James Newton, guitarist Don Harrison, bassist Don Binns and drummer Don Short, formed in 1986 in Vancouver. Because three of the four band members had the first name Don, the band was also sometimes jokingly nicknamed "Dons of Freedom". This debut album was marked by a hybrid rock-funk style which was described by critics as a cross between Led Zeppelin and Gang of Four. [wikipedia]

Sons Of Freedom - "Call Me" - Gump
Although it still retained a fairly hard edge, Gump (named after the hockey player, not Forrest) polished that edge somewhat and the volume was reduced a few notches. The newly-commercial Sons of Freedom racked up video play and some airplay on modern rock stations (notably for the catchy "Call Me") [allmusic]
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:48 PM   #90
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
I think that song was also pretty big in the US. I remember that song being in a Miami Vice episode.

Wikipedia says the song hit #22 on the US charts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payolas_(band)
As per wikipedia, apparently their albums were never released on CD. Very odd. That songs seems pretty big and seems to get all sorts of radio and other random play.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:17 PM   #91
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
If you like, I can share my notes on 90s Canadian bands that I research for the radio (I know my music ramblings and self-promotion might annoy some).

Yes, I like.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:32 PM   #92
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

Ex.

Sons Of Freedom– “Super Cool Wagon” – Sons Of Freedom
The band, consisting of vocalist James Newton, guitarist Don Harrison, bassist Don Binns and drummer Don Short, formed in 1986 in Vancouver. Because three of the four band members had the first name Don, the band was also sometimes jokingly nicknamed "Dons of Freedom". This debut album was marked by a hybrid rock-funk style which was described by critics as a cross between Led Zeppelin and Gang of Four. [wikipedia]

Sons Of Freedom - "Call Me" - Gump
Although it still retained a fairly hard edge, Gump (named after the hockey player, not Forrest) polished that edge somewhat and the volume was reduced a few notches. The newly-commercial Sons of Freedom racked up video play and some airplay on modern rock stations (notably for the catchy "Call Me") [allmusic]
They were named after the Doukhobors. My dad told me that when he noticed me wearing one of their shirts. He lived near some of them growing up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doukhobors

I think they opened up for the Hip the first time I saw them. I can't remember.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 09:53 PM   #93
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Did anybody used to watch Placebo? They would play the Black Lounge all the time. In case you didn't know, the lead singer is better known as Feist. Still have a Placebo CD I bought at one of their shows.

Chixdiggit were also always a good show.

And Heuvos Rancheros.

A-Team was great. Infernos were fun.
Watched Placebo open for the Wheat Chiefs and Doughboys at Mac Hall. Still have the concert ticket stub. She was great that night. Also loved Annihilator from the 90's. Jeff Waters is an amazing guitarist.

Last edited by robbie111; 10-18-2017 at 09:58 PM.
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:14 AM   #94
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are you talking about the British band Placebo?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:16 AM   #95
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I loved 90s rock, but in terms of strictly Canadian groups during that time, I'd have to say Sloan is at the top of the list.

Whoever said Tragically Hip...no. Possibly the worst band to ever go sort of mainstream.
I could never get into Sloan. Their music just didn't resonate with me. I feel I Mother Earth was probably the highest quality Canadian Rock band of the 90's. Edwin is a fantastic vocalist and their sound was fairly creative at a time where a lot of grunge bands sounded the same.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 10-19-2017 at 07:19 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:27 AM   #96
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Are you talking about the British band Placebo?
There was a Calgary band called Placebo as well, lead by Feist before she went solo. They had to change their name when the British band got big.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 07:46 AM   #97
dre
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
There was a Calgary band called Placebo as well, lead by Feist before she went solo. They had to change their name when the British band got big.
I believe they went to Bishop Carroll.
dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:24 PM   #98
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

They released an ep called "Don't Drink the Bathwater". I remember selling my copy on eBay for a small fortune when Feist hit it big, and that money came in handy as I was a poor graduate student at the time. You can stream the entire ep on youtube.

snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:59 AM   #99
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Thrush Hermit– “North Dakota” – Sweet Homewrecker
Thrush Hermit was formed in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1992 by Joel Plaskett (vocals, guitar), Rob Benvie (vocals, guitar), Ian McGettigan (vocals, bass), and Michael Catano (drums). [wikipedia] The single "North Dakota" was probably considered too "heavy" for most U.S. alternative stations in 1997 (though it did well in Canada). [allmusic]

Pluto – “When She Was Happy” – Pluto
Pluto formed in 1993 in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. They were active from 1993 to 1999. The band was nominated for Best New Group at the 1997 Juno Awards. Their single "Paste" appeared on the first Big Shiny Tunes compilation. The band briefly reunited for Mint Records' 20th Anniversary Concert. [wikipedia]

Cub – “Magic 8 Ball” – Box Of Hair
Third album Box of Hair in 1996 - Vancouver-based trio Cub had settled into a consistent lineup-- drummer Lisa G, bassist/frontwoman Lisa Marr, and guitarist Robynn Iwata. On "Magic 8 Ball", Marr serenades a crush with a list of lucky charms, as accordion, lilting harmonies, and a rickety, Merseybeat-esque backing move to a chorus about the title toy. One of Cub's best-ever songs? [pitchfork]

Cool Blue Halo– “Throw Me Down” – Kangaroo
The power pop band Cool Blue Halo was formed in 1990 in Halifax, Nova Scotia. It's an album full of sparkling, smart, and memorable power pop songs. Cool Blue Halo's fuzzy, fizzy guitars suit the vocalists' harmonies quite well; the album is full of toe-tapping pop gems that took the best of Sugar, the Doughboys, and Jesus and Mary Chain. [allmusic]

Tristan Psionic– “Air Traffic Control” – TPA Flight 028
Triston Psionic was formed in 1991 in an industrial warehouse loft in Hamilton, Ontario. The band members also founded the music label Sonic Unyon. The album held the number one position for Canadian college radio for eight weeks. It also reached the top thirty on the CMJ (Top 200) college radio albums chart. [wikipedia]
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:36 PM   #100
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
They released an ep called "Don't Drink the Bathwater". I remember selling my copy on eBay for a small fortune when Feist hit it big, and that money came in handy as I was a poor graduate student at the time. You can stream the entire ep on youtube.

You don't say....

I have an old placebo record sitting around somewhere. It's labelled Placebo4 though. This was after the much bigger band Placebo had come out, and there were copyright issues. I remember it having a blue cover. Pretty sure this is it:

https://www.discogs.com/Placebo4-Sai...elease/9054915

Apparently, it's limited to 500 copies, and is their first recording...I'll definitely have to check my parents house for this one.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote