Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2017, 02:31 PM   #21
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I assume you meant to make vanilla extract? Otherwise using vanilla to make vanilla would probably fall into one of those perpetual motion type scenarios.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2017, 02:41 AM   #22
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Have you ever made muesli at home? You can scrape the beans out and toss the vanilla with some oats, nuts and honey and bake it low and slow for a nice tasty muesli!
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:52 PM   #23
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heat up your oven and let it cook in the oven, thereby releasing a delicious aroma. I love the smell of vanilla and do this with extract all the time. I put it in a pan, heat it up and then my house smells like a bakery.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 02:09 PM   #24
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I bought it from Samba Vanilla. Took just over a week to arrive via regular mail. http://sambavanilla.com

I kind of did my shopping based on the article from the herald. It was kind of serendipitous since the article came out the day after I sought to buy a bottle of extract. I just need to find some cheap vodka. Maybe Kirkland voda.

http://calgaryherald.com/life/swerve...anilla-extract

I like everybody's ideas so far. Ice cream, sugar, and booze. Should be fun experimenting.

i was telling my mom about this.... i ordered some beans, she's picking up vodka!

can't wait to try this!
Old 10-05-2017, 11:07 PM   #25
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay. Smells nice, but not looking very pretty though. Hopefully in a few weeks this starts looking less like the bottom of my rain barrel and more like vanilla extract.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:40 PM   #26
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Okay. Smells nice, but not looking very pretty though. Hopefully in a few weeks this starts looking less like the bottom of my rain barrel and more like vanilla extract.

Well Google says 8 weeks, so give it some time.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:15 AM   #27
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

just wondering how your vanilla extract turned out??

mine is soooooooooooooo good!!! it's definitely a lot lighter in colour than store bought vanilla. i'm not sure if that has to do with the beans or if a darker colour is added to the store bought stuff. i know my old bottle does have 'food colouring' as an ingredient. the taste of the new stuff is amazing!

i transferred a good chunk of the extract to another bottle and then topped up the 'extract making' bottle. next batch will be ready in a few months
Old 05-30-2018, 10:22 AM   #28
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
just wondering how your vanilla extract turned out??

mine is soooooooooooooo good!!! it's definitely a lot lighter in colour than store bought vanilla. i'm not sure if that has to do with the beans or if a darker colour is added to the store bought stuff. i know my old bottle does have 'food colouring' as an ingredient. the taste of the new stuff is amazing!

i transferred a good chunk of the extract to another bottle and then topped up the 'extract making' bottle. next batch will be ready in a few months

It turned out really good. It got nice and dark and then I let it breathe to let a bit of the alcohol evaporate off because it was pretty overpowering (IMO). I took all the spent beans and scraped the little seeds into some gramulated sugar. I left a few bits of the vanilla pods in the extract, people say you can add more vodka over time, but I am happy with the result and don't want to end up dilluting it. I should get working on another batch though, as my wife started baking a lot recently.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2018, 10:25 AM   #29
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I could make a pretty tasty mead with those beauties.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote