Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-12-2017, 11:30 PM   #221
Buck Murdock
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Whoosh. He was mocking Driveway's usual zealous nonsense.
Oops, that went over my head...
Buck Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:31 PM   #222
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was there a specific event that sparked this?

A lot of the protests African Americans start up are in response to things like recent police brutality. As in specific events in recent memory.

And not to pile on the U.S., but in Canada, if your mug got captured on camera at a rally like that, you would likely be ostracized and fired by your employer. The guys at this rally seem very proud and happy to be front row and centre, and relatively clean-cut and "normal" as compared to the fringe element in Canada that tend to be mostly unemployable freaks. In Canada, you get the odd right wing nazi wannabe groups, but the guys at the VA rally look like your everyday suburban dads.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:37 PM   #223
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Was there a specific event that sparked this?

A lot of the protests African Americans start up are in response to things like recent police brutality. As in specific events in recent memory.

And not to pile on the U.S., but in Canada, if your mug got captured on camera at a rally like that, you would likely be ostracized and fired by your employer. The guys at this rally seem very proud and happy to be front row and centre, and relatively clean-cut and "normal" as compared to the fringe element in Canada that tend to be mostly unemployable freaks. In Canada, you get the odd right wing nazi wannabe groups, but the guys at the VA rally look like your everyday suburban dads.
It was in response to the expected removal of the Robert E Lee statue removal
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:40 PM   #224
Biff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Murdock View Post
I followed the 2016 election closely and don't remember any super ugly policies promised by Trump. His immigration platform was to stop illegal immigration (seems logical), better trade deals (whats wrong with that?), suspension of travel from high risk middle eastern countries (same as Obama) to name a few. Were their others that were offensive that I'm forgetting?

Trump does have a polarizing persona, and I can definitely see why some people dislike him, but his policies are fairly logical (to me). I think one of the reasons his administration gives off a perception of being in chaos, is that establishment democrats and republicans beholden to their special interest groups are all hell bent on stopping all of his policies. Just my 2 cents.
Ridiculous. Trump didn't have policies. He had soundbites and dog whistles. He doesn't have a polarizing persona. He is a 2D babbling charlatan hopelessly over his head in the real world of governance and with profound maturity and communication problems let alone a veritable cornucopia of manifest disturbing personality problems.

He is a vile, contemptible, ignorant charlatan whose narcissism made him a perfect front-man for a very dangerous anti-everything-that-isn't-us conservative-backed right-wing fringe movement. He is a simpleton, but some very nasty and calculating people have played an entire election and agenda out of him. It's despicable and trying to whitewash and normalize it is disingenuous.
Biff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:43 PM   #225
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
People continually laugh off the idea of violent uprisings in America's future citing the lack of an unemployed young men. There's major unrest in white America and with the lower income industrial jobs disappearing you're seeing the cracks.

Next up is the middle class jobs being replaced by the same technology that they themselves cheered on when it was replacing the "replaceable" workers, when that shift starts to take shape.....look out.

We're not likely more than ten years away from that either.
If this is the problem, then guaranteed minimum income would be an obvious solution.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:45 PM   #226
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
I'm talking in a quite literal sense. Those "people" at the rally. Interpret it as you'd like
Whooooshhhhhh
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 11:51 PM   #227
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

This whole thing just makes me sad.

I feel the need and want to be able to help normal Americans but I don't know how.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:54 PM   #228
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Got to love the wording on CNN right now....

"Car kills protestor"

Just absolute trash.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 12:10 AM   #229
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Whooooshhhhhh
I get what he's trying to imply, and I'm simply just euro-stepping his bait. Hence the last sentence.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:23 AM   #230
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think we're all in agreement that people rocking nazi paraphernalia and allegedly driving cars into counter protestors is pretty contemptible. But I think an interesting debate to be had is whether the statue of Robert E Lee should be replaced.

Although a Confederate general, Lee was a well respected military officer for basically all of his life. He graduated top of his class from the Army academy, served in the Mexican American war, and took a strong leadership position in a Virginia university after the Civil war. He joined to confederacy only after his home state of Virginia decided to secede. He is a central figure to the history of Virginia, so is it unreasonable to wipe out all physical trace of him at that state's flagship university?
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 12:29 AM   #231
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
I think we're all in agreement that people rocking nazi paraphernalia and allegedly driving cars into counter protestors is pretty contemptible. But I think an interesting debate to be had is whether the statue of Robert E Lee should be replaced.

Although a Confederate general, Lee was a well respected military officer for basically all of his life. He graduated top of his class from the Army academy, served in the Mexican American war, and took a strong leadership position in a Virginia university after the Civil war. He joined to confederacy only after his home state of Virginia decided to secede. He is a central figure to the history of Virginia, so is it unreasonable to wipe out all physical trace of him at that state's flagship university?
He chose his state over his country when his state decided to secede because of slavery. Kind of erases a lot of the "good chap" in his past.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 12:31 AM   #232
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

I love you too, Corsi.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:57 AM   #233
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

He was the General of the Confederacy, which was raised to ensure the original sin of America continued. He is the symbol not of gentlemanly conduct or great military prowess, but of the confederacy. There's no grand tradition his likeness rightly evokes.

To the many Black Americans, his likeness brings up the history of how he viewed captured Black soldiers as runaway slaves. Or how he fought to keep their forefathers as slaves.

There's no compelling reason to keep these statues around that I as a Canadian can see
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 01:03 AM   #234
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Hrm, maybe we should actually have rocks on supports instead of historical figures on horses.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:07 AM   #235
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
He was the General of the Confederacy, which was raised to ensure the original sin of America continued. He is the symbol not of gentlemanly conduct or great military prowess, but of the confederacy. There's no grand tradition his likeness rightly evokes.

To the many Black Americans, his likeness brings up the history of how he viewed captured Black soldiers as runaway slaves. Or how he fought to keep their forefathers as slaves.

There's no compelling reason to keep these statues around that I as a Canadian can see
That's certainly a valid view point. To me though you could use the same arguments to wipe out any memorial to basically all the founding fathers
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:30 AM   #236
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure that Benedict Arnold guy was a splendid chap deserving of praise and honor too. A traitor is a traitor regardless and that should not be honored. Robert E. Lee was a magnificent general and strategist who did an amazing job doing what he did. What he fought for was entirely contemptible and deserving of scorn. It is just the same thing with Rommel in German during WWII. He too was awesome at what he did, but whom he did it for made it and thereby him an abomination, regardless of any other criteria can be used to describe him as a man.

A man can be brilliant, but if what his brilliance is being used for is contemptible, then it negates the brilliance of the man. Brilliance should only be lauded if it brings forth positive developments for people and society as a whole. Not in the attempt to further the abomination that was slavery.

Those that support the statue, and those that support what the statue represents deserve scorn and rebuking from modern society. Not, oh you have a difference of opinion, so I should respect our differences because I don't want to sound rude. This slow tolerance is how this plague gets a foothold and slow acceptance from a wider portion of the populace as a whole and how things devolve into a nastier situation.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 01:37 AM   #237
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's certainly a valid view point. To me though you could use the same arguments to wipe out any memorial to basically all the founding fathers
That is not a valid argument.

At the time of the founding fathers, slavery was only starting to become questionable in a minority of society. The civil war started 85 years later. 85 years ago, we were in the throws of the great depression. Black people weren't allowed to vote and gay people weren't spoken of. Civil liberties were virtually non existent, nor were most safety laws etc.

Progress happens and it takes time. One cannot compare apples to oranges. One can only compare what is going on with what is going on at the time that it happens because societies change over time. It was increasingly becoming the minority opinion that slavery should continue when the war occurred. It was a small band of people trying to hold on to what was instead of moving in a different direction. The reticence to change has plagued that region since it's inception.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:48 AM   #238
sasha
Draft Pick

Yea they are just more emboldened due to Trump's actions like picking an Attorney General who has always empathized with racist groups for his entire career.
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:50 AM   #239
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
He chose his state over his country..
One can argue the same in regards to Louis Riel.
ToewsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:21 AM   #240
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
On another note, is there one thing we can change as a board? It's something I've been guilty of a lot so I'm not taking any moral high ground here.

Can we be a lot more respectful and less arrogant towards our neighbours to the south and their country? It comes off poorly and they already have so much **** to deal with. You would think that as Albertans we could understand the frustration and alienation that goes with everyone ****ing on you for things that are mostly beyond your control.

I could go on how about how our governments aren't comparable or how they have a million complicated issues that we don't have to deal with, but all that's besides the point that we should aspire to be the great people that we're known for around the world, and the way many continually knock them and their people down is the opposite of who we claim to be.

America's a beautiful place with millions of amazing, kind, smart people. They're a world super power with 340 million people, and an oppressive, malicious government, of course things aren't going to run smoothly, but let's not continually call their whole country stupid.
I disagree. Having spent 8 years in the south, (Half in south Carolina and half here in Oklahoma) I can confirm America sucks. It's not some small percentage of vocal folks. It's quite a large percentage that are against education, women, minorities, non Christians, etc... I even have redneck family back in illinois that spend all day posting confederate flag memes on Facebook. It's disgusting. I remember the first time someone in SC told me that the civil war wasn't about slavery, but state's rights. Blew my mind.

Anywho, I think you'll find much of the harshest criticisms on here are from is Americans. I genuinely wonder if I should move to a different country. This one seems to not be a good fit for me.

Last edited by dobbles; 08-13-2017 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Typo
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post: