Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2019, 01:56 PM   #3801
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Question for a photography noob: looking to get a good set up over black friday and have no idea where to start. Canon, Nikon, Sony?

Here’s my suggestion:

I am assuming you don’t have any gear right now and are looking to get into photography.

1. Set your budget: it is very easy to overspend on photography gear (trust me on that one )
2. Figure out if you want an advanced point and shoot, or if you want something where you can change lenses
3. Go to a place like London Drugs or the Camera Store, and explain what you’re trying to do and your budget. They will have all the brands/models for you to hold. Go with what works best for your hands (feature wise, all brands have similar features and abilities). It is easy to focus on features, but if the camera is too big/small/heavy/light, you won’t enjoy using it
4. This will give you a good idea of what to “shop for”. Research the best prices and then buy the camera

Good luck
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ah123 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2019, 02:07 PM   #3802
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default The Never Ending Photo Thread

nm
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:34 PM   #3803
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Question for a photography noob: looking to get a good set up over black friday and have no idea where to start. Canon, Nikon, Sony?
How much are you willing to spend, amigo? Honestly. All in.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2019, 02:45 PM   #3804
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I were starting from scratch now I'd seriously consider a mirrorless setup, but I travel lots. The weight savings and size would be appreciated.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2019, 02:52 PM   #3805
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
First, tell us what you're planning to shoot, and what your needs are. Second, tell us your budget. Third, tell us how much that budget can stretch without your significant other leaving you.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2019, 03:54 PM   #3806
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Thanks for the responses everyone! As for a budget looking to shell out 1500 bucks on a set up. Likely using to take shots of nature on hikes, skyline pictures, overhead shots on clear nights, pictures around the city. I like the idea of changing lenses.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:53 PM   #3807
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As for a budget looking to shell out 1500 bucks
Great, how many times?

I think Fuzz was along the right path. A mirrorless camera probably suits your needs best, as it sounds like you'll be using it on the go. A mirrorless from Sony or Fujifilm is probably your best bet...although you may have to up that budget a bit still. The new Nikon Z6/Z7 are great, but out of your range. Try to get a full-frame if you can.

If you're looking at this as a long term thing, put your money towards good lenses, not mediocre kit lenses with crazy zooms that sacrifice quality for convenience. The best lenses are typically always prime lenses (ie, not a zoom) and typically you only really need 3 good ones to do most anything. A wide angle (eg. 15-35mm), a Normal (40-60mm) and a tele (80mm+). If you're only getting one, I would get a 35mm prime lens to start with.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:22 PM   #3808
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

That’s awesome advice thanks a lot! Looking forward to spending some cash!
Old 11-24-2019, 09:44 AM   #3809
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for the responses everyone! As for a budget looking to shell out 1500 bucks on a set up. Likely using to take shots of nature on hikes, skyline pictures, overhead shots on clear nights, pictures around the city. I like the idea of changing lenses.
To break this down:

Nature on hikes: trees and mountains far away? Easy. Wildlife? $$$. The key tools for landscape work are the tripod and filters (ND for smooth waterfalls+clouds; polarizer if you want to cut reflections from water or have a more dramatic sky; ND grad to handle lit-to-shadow transitions).

Skyline: same as landscape, so you can shoot when things are darker and the light is more interesting. Filters are less relevant than for landscapes.

Overhead shots of clear nights: astrophotography is demanding. Fortunately, there are some good cheap lenses out there. The Samyang/Rokinon manual lenses have a great reputation for this. The Tokina 11-whatevers do too, but they're only for crop cameras. That's for Milky Way/Aurora... for tight shots, you'd want a telescope and tracking mount. Specialized stuff.

"Pictures around the city": Not particularly demanding without more information. A normal prime is good choice for picking isolating details. Or if you want sharpness front-to-back, kit lens is fine here too.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2019, 04:04 PM   #3810
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Funny, I just had a very similar conversation with a colleague, who had the same $1,500 budget amount. It is difficult to get a decent setup within $1,500 but possible, if you are willing to buy some used equipment. My suggestion was to go with a used Nikon D750 (could be bought for less than $1,000) and a couple of inexpensive but decent lenses (Nikkor 50mm/1.8g for a fast standard ($100 used) and 70-300mm for an all-purpose universal zoom in good lighting conditions ($250-300 used). You will also need accessories: a small Nikon flash, couple of SD cards, a used tripod. A camera bag is not a necessity but a good-to-have for carrying and protecting camera and lenses. Comfortable neck strap is also a good-to-have. Polarizing filter for each lens is a bit of a luxury, but it does improve image quality and colours quite a bit.

The above setup would get you the equipment used by many pro’s and semi-pro’s to get professional quality imagery and which has a new value of over $3,000.

I would advise against a mirrorless setup for a beginner. Good one costs a lot. Cheap ones are a waste of money without exceptions.

Good luck. If you need more specific advice feel free to PM.

Last edited by CaptainYooh; 11-24-2019 at 04:11 PM.
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:47 PM   #3811
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree that used is always a good way to go (I buy pretty much everything used), but disagree you can't buy a decent used mirrorless in that price range. It's a tough price range if you need everything, but it can be done if you're willing to keep it simple...a body, a lens, and a bag.

I think the most important thing, especially as a beginner to build confidence, is to have fun and get in as much practice as possible, and not getting too bogged down with specs and accessories. The reality is that while DSLRs will give you better resolution, they tend to be bulkier, and thus often get left behind for trips or hikes etc. A small mirrorless tends to be a camera that is more portable, less intimidating, and thus a camera that more people will actually use.

You can get a used Sony A7i or ii in the range, and those are solid cameras. A Fujifilm x100F is by all accounts a really great camera (if you're not a pixel peeper or need full-frame, but just want good images), especially for trips and around town. It can be had new with a lens for that price. And it's small enough that you can throw in any bag. It's more of a Leica/rangefinder type experience, but again that can often times be more fun than spraying 5000 frames a minute with your DSLR.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2019, 07:34 PM   #3812
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ll go a possibly contrarian way, get a bridge camera. I’m partial to Panasonic Lumix.

Reason why I would go this way is it sounds like this is your first camera and given what you want to do you’ll have flexibility with a long zoom range while you learn what type of photography you really gravitate to. They’re very affordable and would give plenty of room to buy some filters as you learn. What you buy now is likely not what you will want in the future. Spend a few hundred now and save a bunch of your budget for once you really know what you want.

Some will likely complain about the sensor size of the bridge/super zoom cameras but for the vast majority of uses you don’t notice it. I have a DSLR which sits at home most of the time as the bridge cameras I’ve owned travel with me as I can take one light camera that has endless range.

I’ve recently gotten a mirrorless (aka micro 4/3), mostly because the dSLR is older and not what I want anymore. Again, I’ve got the Panasonic way. As someone said I would recommend a trip to The Camera Store and try some cameras and systems out. The Camera Store also provides courses if you buy from them IIRC. You can also easily waste days on youtube watching reviews. The Camera Store has a number of good videos up. Also Camera Labs and DP Photo review have good honest reviews.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2019, 11:18 PM   #3813
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I agree that used is always a good way to go (I buy pretty much everything used), but disagree you can't buy a decent used mirrorless in that price range. It's a tough price range if you need everything, but it can be done if you're willing to keep it simple...a body, a lens, and a bag. ...
Fuji X-PRO 2 is not bad. But you might have overlooked the part where the OP said about wanting to shoot with different lenses. Good fast pro-grade auto-focus lenses costs thousands. That's not in the cards for the OP for now, which means going with slower mid-grade lenses. What newbies don't quite understand in the beginning is that a slow lens is not necessarily a bad quality lens; it just needs more light and higher ISO setting. And a higher ISO, needs a larger size pixel (not necessarily a larger number of pixels) to absorb all that low light well, which makes a full-frame D750 an almost unbeatable choice within OP's budget. No full-frame mirrorless camera in <$1,000 price range would do that; even used (unless you go with cheap old manual focus lenses, but that's a different ball game). And cropped (smaller) sensors require faster (more expensive lenses) to compensate their size with more light. Again, it is practically impossible to get a decent mirrorless setup (all in) for $1,500 today.

Many cheaper modern cameras, staring from mobile phones to Rebels, D5xxx, Olympuses etc. can deliver a nice quality image in bright light. But when shooting something moving in low(er) light you need to shoot at high shutter speeds (>1/1,000sec) and higher ISO sensitivities (>400). That needs bigger sensors, larger pixel sizes and faster lenses.

One more thing, photography is an infectious bug. Whatever people buy as their first setup often is not their last setup, if they get the bug. So, it makes a lot of sense to buy something used that can be re-sold without too much loss (either you get the bug or not).
Old 11-25-2019, 06:22 AM   #3814
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Again, it is practically impossible to get a decent mirrorless setup (all in) for $1,500 today.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camco...9521?undefined
Sony A7 with a 28mm f/2 lens, and 4 batteries (the achilles heel of mirrorless) for $1050.

Negotiate that down to $900, shoot for a year or two to see if you get the bug, and if you do...upgrade to a better body while keeping a great lens.

SLR or Mirrorless, $1500 is not going to set you up for life no matter what format you go with, so if you love photograph, you will be upgrading soon anyway (it's like trying to buy a great bike for $700 or a mechanical watch for $1K...if you love the hobby, you'll quickly realize you need more money).

So you might as well not spend a ton, but atleast spend it on a solid lens, and get something that you gets you out there shooting and learning. Regardless of your setup, the element that needs improvement the most is almost always the photographer. If you can't learn to shoot decent photos with an a7 with a 28mm, it's not the cameras fault. You can find similar deals on SLRs too if that's more your game (750 is a fine suggestion!). The point is, get whatever will get you out there. There are too many gearheads out there worrying about tech specs, and not shooting enough.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:38 AM   #3815
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like we are arguing but not disagreeing much.

I do agree that looking forward, a mirrorless setup is a smarter choice, because DSLR will be pushed out by it eventually.

I disagree that a Sony A7 setup is good for a starter kit. As a dedicated Nikon shooter for 45 years, I have started shooting with A7rii, because of its amazing resolution and ability to accept Leica lenses. I love it now. But I tell ya, it was not fun getting to learn it. Not intuitive, complicated, uncomfortable, clumsy etc. A simple straightforward D750 is a much better and easier to learn starting point.

Last edited by CaptainYooh; 11-25-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:22 PM   #3816
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm generally a Nikon guy too, and agree they feel more natural in terms of ergonomics and workflow than Sony...but then again I've heard Canon guys have similar complains about Nikon!

I think the reality is we get used to the system we use (especially after 45 years!) and naturally anything new will feel a bit off. If you're brand agnostic and coming into it fresh, I'm sure the Sony system will feel pretty natural right away. But it's also why I think its good to keep it simple when you start and not get too bogged down in features and gear.

Overcomplication is actually why my D800 sits on the shelf, and Id rather shoot with an old FE or my Mamiya 7. I'm not a professional, I'm just in it for fun like all of us here, and keeping it simple makes photography fun again.

Last edited by Table 5; 11-25-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:33 PM   #3817
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I think the reality is we get used to the system we use (especially after 45 years!) and naturally anything new will feel a bit off. If you're brand agnostic...
It's the opposite for me. I am no longer religiously dedicated to Nikon. In fact, I am seriously angry at Nikon for switching to Z-mount and pretty much abandoning its dedicated brand followers who can no longer use their expensive F-mount lenses efficiently (without an adapter). Which is why, when I decided to get a mirrorless setup, I went with SonyA7rii and why I will not buy a Z7, a very nice body.

But then again, D850 is probably the best DSLR camera ever built, bar none. Even Canonists would reluctantly agree (those who tried it). And it works with all of my F-mount lenses flawlessly. And its sensor is great. And the motor is great. And it's super-easy to use. And so on and so forth... So, it's a bit of love/hate relationship for me nowadays...
Old 11-27-2019, 07:24 PM   #3818
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Honestly unreal information thanks so much for the help. I have definitely been undergoing a crash course in camera specs, lenses, terminology etc.

When buying a used camera what are the main things to look for?
Obviously, checking all components, make sure it actually take pictures, any damage to the sensor is a big issue, but anything else?

I see people posting shutter counts, any number that would make you think twice of buying the camera?
Old 11-27-2019, 09:03 PM   #3819
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Honestly unreal information thanks so much for the help. I have definitely been undergoing a crash course in camera specs, lenses, terminology etc.
When buying a used camera what are the main things to look for?
Obviously, checking all components, make sure it actually take pictures, any damage to the sensor is a big issue, but anything else?
I see people posting shutter counts, any number that would make you think twice of buying the camera?
Nikon D750 motors are tested for 200,000 shutter actuations, but take that number with a grain of salt. An electronic camera used for 200,000 clicks is definitely VERY tired. I wouldn't buy a used camera with more than 25,000 shutter actuations.

Watch listings on Calgary kijiji. Look/wait for someone selling a set (camera + one or two lenses). People get in and out of the hobby a lot these days. Buying used equipment for 50% of the new retail price is reasonably common and accepted for bodies. Lenses are a bit more difficult to find for 50% of retail, but, again, if you are not in a rush, possible.

Body should be clean outside. More importantly, sensor should be spotless inside. You would need to have the mirror locked up and inspect the sensor with a loupe/light for spots and scratches. Take a test shot on white paper and inspect the image for dark spots.

When shooting, shoot in single and multiple bursts to hear the motor working well and clean without bad sounds.

Lenses should be clean without scratches on the glass, front and rear. Use a flashlight to shine through the lens. There is always a little dust inside, that's fine. What's not fine - fungus and haze (looks like fog). If the lens is not clear, it's bad. Test a lens on the camera to see if it auto-focuses precisely. Inspect the image by zooming it 200% in the camera to see if the thing you focused on WAS actually in sharp focus.

That's about it.

Here, a couple of decent sets of D750 + Nikkor 24-120 zoom; a very useful universal walk-about setup:
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camco...ens/1473446829
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camco...nly/1463970485

Have a look, try negotiating a $300-$400 off. Ask if a seller is willing to throw in a few accessories as freebies. Save $100-$150 for a used 50mm/1.8g fast lens and some accessories I've mentioned earlier.

If you decide to choose a mirrorless route, look for Sony A7, here's the link to a set mentioned by Table 5:
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camco...f-2/1473939521
one more with a zoom:
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camco...ens/1462958904

Seems cheaper and ready to go. But not as good as D750, of course.

Good luck!

Last edited by CaptainYooh; 11-27-2019 at 09:12 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2019, 11:02 AM   #3820
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still use a D700 . I like to break things so I have 3. Always bring 2 on shoots. They’re really great for portraits , beauty and artsy fashion shots.

I just don’t feel like springing for a D850. I don’t want the in-between 750 either. Or an 800. Then I think more megapixels=computer upgrade?

Blah. I’ll just stay “prehistoric” for now.

Also have a D500 for birds and boxing matches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk