Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 11:17 AM   #9281
robertsfanatic
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
If they want Bennett, Hyman is the price.

Hyman is a UFA, and Bennett is 4 years younger and an RFA

Cap works - reasonable deal.
Hyman is worth much more than Bennett and if that's all it takes then make it happen now! His stats don't tell his whole story.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:18 AM   #9282
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
Never happening.

1 - Marner & Matthews are worse players when he is not on their line (eye test, no fancy stats)
2 - He is 1 of the few guys on that team that crash & bang
3 - They expect him to take a home town discount next contract
4 - Hyman is Bennett with better totals
5 - TML has their centers, why would they want Bennett - a player who has complained that he wasn't playing center.

Lastly - Hyman is currently the home town darling. He has been named by many fans (on news and in conversations) as their current favorite. He is too many community events to count. He represents a whole ethnic community with in the city (the Jewish kid who went to Jewish schools and became an NHLer.)
If they want Bennett, that's the price. Otherwise, bugger off.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:22 AM   #9283
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
If they want Bennett, that's the price. Otherwise, bugger off.
Remind me again why TML would want Bennett??

- Is he considered a top-6 winger?
- Is he a total team player?
- Does he make his line mates better?
- Can he bring his playoff acumen to their top line? (knowing he couldn't bring it to the Flames top line, which is why many want him moved)

If playoff success is the goal in TO, then they will likely look south (not caring about the quarantine).
Old 03-17-2021, 11:49 AM   #9284
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Treliving should acquire a RHS RW who fits with the program. Is Rackell a good fit? I don't know, but he is likely going to be expensive. Find a large-bodied north-south guy. Ritchie is fitting-in well right now, and he had a season in Dallas that looked like he was about to break-out and would become the player that Dallas hoped he would be. However, he has consistently put up 4th line offensive numbers. I like him on the Gaudreau-Monahan line right now, but he is really just a placeholder.

I would say his brother Nick would be a better fit, but I don't imagine Boston is going to let him go (and he is a LHS anyway). However, what about Charlie Coyle? Big, decent skater, decent hands, RHS, and has put up decent numbers before (not great, but very decent). I wonder if he is expendable in Boston right now.

Maybe buy-low on some of the players in Buffalo - Hall and Reinhart are going to be expensive, while Eichel and Cozens are going to be very costly. Maybe there are other players to pick from there. Tage Thompson? 6'7" RHS, but hasn't been great (to put it mildly). Eric Staal might be a good fit, though I am not sure he would want to be in Calgary, and at 36 years of age, it will be spending more assets on a short-term solution. I know this will never happen, and I will get roasted for even bringing this up, but Curtis Fricken Lazar might be a good fit here. LoL North - South player with wheels, plays physical, very hard worker and good attitude - and a RHS. Never gonna happen - I can't imagine Treliving is going to spend assets on him twice.

Maybe the answer isn't a high-profile guy. Maybe the Flames should look for a larger than average (doesn't have to be huge) player who plays physical, has good skating ability, and decent hands (maybe a younger guy who hasn't broken out yet, or someone who has hit 15 goals a few times already, but is buried somewhere).

I would say Reinhart would probably be a poor fit - really smart kid and he is talented, and he is used to being a support player on the line - but he is not fast enough.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2021, 12:00 PM   #9285
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
If they want Bennett, Hyman is the price.

Hyman is a UFA, and Bennett is 4 years younger and an RFA

Cap works - reasonable deal.
I live in Toronto and watch a lot of Leafs games. Hyman is very valuable to that squad. Swapping Hyman for Bennett makes the Leafs a worse team and I think they're in a win-now mode. They don't really care about Bennett being controllable longer-term.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madmike For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2021, 12:13 PM   #9286
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

- Can he bring his playoff acumen to their top line? (knowing he couldn't bring it to the Flames top line, which is why many want him moved)

If playoff success is the goal in TO, then they will likely look south (not caring about the quarantine).
For me, I was basing it off of the TO media comments yesterday. It was only a suggestion. Didn't know Hyman was a big deal for them, and him being a UFA at the end of the year I thought there would be a chance.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:24 PM   #9287
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ontario boy;
Played for Kingston;
Played for Gilmour;
Compared to Gilmour;
Wears 93 like Gilmour;
Cherry loves him.

Maybe the Flames can get some value back from the Gilmour trade and swindle them here.

Trade Bennett to them for a first round pick. First round pick becomes Flames number 1 centre for 10 years.

Full circle.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:27 PM   #9288
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Why do I need to do this?

The discussion generated from a media report that the Leafs have interest in Bennett and that they should pursue him.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:29 PM   #9289
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I am Treliving, I don't care why TO wants Bennett, I only care that they do (assuming that there is any validity to the story).

And in that regard, my price is Hyman.

Pretty straight-forward.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2021, 12:53 PM   #9290
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I think Treliving should acquire a RHS RW who fits with the program. Is Rackell a good fit? I don't know, but he is likely going to be expensive. Find a large-bodied north-south guy. Ritchie is fitting-in well right now, and he had a season in Dallas that looked like he was about to break-out and would become the player that Dallas hoped he would be. However, he has consistently put up 4th line offensive numbers. I like him on the Gaudreau-Monahan line right now, but he is really just a placeholder.

I would say his brother Nick would be a better fit, but I don't imagine Boston is going to let him go (and he is a LHS anyway). However, what about Charlie Coyle? Big, decent skater, decent hands, RHS, and has put up decent numbers before (not great, but very decent). I wonder if he is expendable in Boston right now.

Maybe buy-low on some of the players in Buffalo - Hall and Reinhart are going to be expensive, while Eichel and Cozens are going to be very costly. Maybe there are other players to pick from there. Tage Thompson? 6'7" RHS, but hasn't been great (to put it mildly). Eric Staal might be a good fit, though I am not sure he would want to be in Calgary, and at 36 years of age, it will be spending more assets on a short-term solution. I know this will never happen, and I will get roasted for even bringing this up, but Curtis Fricken Lazar might be a good fit here. LoL North - South player with wheels, plays physical, very hard worker and good attitude - and a RHS. Never gonna happen - I can't imagine Treliving is going to spend assets on him twice.

Maybe the answer isn't a high-profile guy. Maybe the Flames should look for a larger than average (doesn't have to be huge) player who plays physical, has good skating ability, and decent hands (maybe a younger guy who hasn't broken out yet, or someone who has hit 15 goals a few times already, but is buried somewhere).

I would say Reinhart would probably be a poor fit - really smart kid and he is talented, and he is used to being a support player on the line - but he is not fast enough.
If looking for untapped potential, look to Stockton. They are on fire right now and Phillips looks ready and is RHS. Is small but like 88, does not play small. OR Gawdin for a bigger body and is said to be good 200 ft player.

Last edited by Demetric; 03-17-2021 at 01:08 PM. Reason: other option.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:58 PM   #9291
Kickazzflames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I would pay a big price to bring in Rakell. By that I mean picks and prospects, no roster players. A RHS, RW with a contract that fits perfectly into our current window of opportunity. His contract would expire at the same time as Gaudreau, Giordano's and Tkachuk's which would give us a chance to review our core and make changes if necessary.

The problem with any trades this year is the two week quarantine (Makes the price of rentals scary), the expansion draft (forced to expose someone you wouldn't want too), teams might be hesitant to retain or take on any salary since the American TV deal was 2/3rd's the expected price. (This could mean a flat cap for the next 2-3 years, and dare I say a potential to decrease?)

This of course only works if Anaheim is taking a full rebuild approach opposed to a re-tooling.

We most likely only see minor to medium trades between Canadian teams to minimize risks, but looking at our current window, if we want to increase our chance with the current core, Rakell could be the perfect piece for the right price.

By the end of next season, we will have some BIG decisions to make.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:04 PM   #9292
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If I am acquiring a RHS RW with term, they have to be a legit top line player for me to consider moving Dube or exposing him to the expansion draft.

Personally I would expose Dube before Backlund, as we other players similar to Dube in the system (Pelletier, Phillips, Pettersen, Zavgorodniy) but we don't have another Backlund in the system.

Really the only guys that I have heard in the rumour mill that I would target are Filip Forsberg and Viktor Arvidsson.

I would move Dube for either of those players, but I wouldn't for Rakell.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:12 PM   #9293
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Ontario boy;
Played for Kingston;
Played for Gilmour;
Compared to Gilmour;
Wears 93 like Gilmour;
Cherry loves him.

Maybe the Flames can get some value back from the Gilmour trade and swindle them here.

Trade Bennett to them for a first round pick. First round pick becomes Flames number 1 centre for 10 years.

Full circle.

Fair enough. Move Bennett to TO, by all means.
But we are not getting Hyman.
Hyman covers 3 of your points - more so, Hyman isn't just an Ontario boy - He is a TORONTO boy.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:13 PM   #9294
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
If I am Treliving, I don't care why TO wants Bennett, I only care that they do (assuming that there is any validity to the story).

And in that regard, my price is Hyman.

Pretty straight-forward.

Yup. pretty straight forward that that deal will never happen.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:15 PM   #9295
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yup. pretty straight forward that that deal will never happen.
I see that Hyman is on the 3rd line.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:15 PM   #9296
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enough. Move Bennett to TO, by all means.
But we are not getting Hyman.
Hyman covers 3 of your points - more so, Hyman isn't just an Ontario boy - He is a TORONTO boy.
Hyman is a good player but he's also a UFA soon, he'll go back to Toronto when he gets the chance so nope, don't want him.

1st round pick (magic beans) for Bennett.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:16 PM   #9297
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

If the Leafs wanted Bennett, and going by what Dubas had to say yesterday, then its probably one of their (less) prized prospects coming back.

That said, I expect Treliving to hold onto Bennett until the deadline and unless someone overpays he likely stays until the end of the year and is chosen in the expansion draft or simply not qualified.

The Flames will want Bennett for the playoffs. And while those aren't guaranteed he'll wait until the last minute to make that move if he can IMO.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:18 PM   #9298
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be surprised if Bennett returned a first this point.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:19 PM   #9299
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Meh. I will never get on board with the legend of Michael Backlund. The guy is way too inconsistent for my liking and sucks in the playoffs. Was invisible to terrible for a large part of this season. This team needs players that bring it every game not 30-40 games a season.

Where RU Chris O’Sullivan wants a word with you....
Old 03-17-2021, 01:23 PM   #9300
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
I'd be surprised if Bennett returned a first this point.
If the Flames could get a 1st for Bennett, that would be a tidy piece of business by Treliving.
Closed Thread