Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Top 15 Fantasy Books To Read

Jumping in on the idea of Sci-Fi books thread I'm curious what recommendations people have for the Fantasy genre.

I've read all the Game of Thrones book and most of the Dragonlance and I've just started to tackle some of the Drizzt books from Forgotten Realms.

Any others that should be on my radar?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Drizzt books are great, Dragonlance have a soft spot for me because it was somewhere near my start of fantasy reading.

First thing you should read in this genre is Lord of the Rings, for sure. If you haven't read that it's like going to church without the bible.

(SPOILER: careful reading the wikipedia links, typically the intro paragraph of these articles is spoiler free but I did NOT proof read all of them and may contain spoilers)

Wheel of Time gets a bad rap because a lot of people get bored around book 7, and I can admit it does drag for a bit. But Brandon Sanderson has done a great job of revitalizing the series and the final 14th book comes out in early 2013.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time

The Black Company by Glen Cook is another good series I read a few years ago. (9 books)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Company

Dark Tower by Stephen King (8)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dar...r_%28series%29

Malazan Book of the Fallen by Canada's own Steven Erikson (10)

Quote:
The Malazan series is often compared both to Glen Cook's The Black Company series (to whom the seventh book is dedicated) and George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. By 2006, the series had sold 250,000 copies.[7]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malazan_Book_of_the_Fallen

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams (3)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory,_Sorrow,_and_Thorn

That should keep you busy for a few years.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 11-22-2012 at 09:21 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the first movie coming up shortly I think The Hobbit would be a good quick read as well, perhaps read it first and then do The Lord of the Rings?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
JerzeeGirl
First Line Centre

Exp:

I completely endorse the Wheel of Time recommendation - I've been reading (& re-reading it since '91) and love it.

Part of the reason people got bored I think is that it often years before a new book would appear, getting in on the series now would be great as you don't have to wait.

I also liked almost anything by Terry Brooks (Shannara series), Piers Anthony (Bio of a Space Tyrant series, lots of his Xanth novels), Robert Heinlein (Stranger in a Strange Land, Friday, The Cat Who Walks Thru Walls, Time Enough For Love, The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, Starship Troopers).

The Lord of the Rings was awesome too - didn't like them in my teens, love them as an adult.
JerzeeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #5
Finny61
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When at your local bookstore, check out Patrick Rothfuss. The Name of the Wind is the first in the series.
Finny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had started reading The Wheel of Time about 7 years ago and lost steam (I think around book 5 or 6), perhaps I need to revisit it?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
JerzeeGirl
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bigtime, I would - the last 2 books that Sanderson has written to finish off the series (The Gathering Storm & The Towers Of Midnight) have been great (even if I don't think he can write Matt very well).

The nice part is that you know the end is coming and you can put up with that middle sequence knowing that you will see daylight again which seemed sooooo far away back in the late 90's/early '00s (& really seemed hopeless once Jordan died back in '07).
JerzeeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm currently going through a re-read of Wheel of Time. It does get long winded around the middle, there's a shift in story telling where it's less about the characters finding themselves and their paths, and becomes more about world events. The pace slows down as things become more complex, but everything that happens is entrenched in the books own history and gives a depth to the storytelling that I've never experienced in any other series. Plus it is nearly done.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have gone through Honorverse twice, love those books

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorverse
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

The Malazan Book Of The Fallen

/thread

http://www.sfsite.com/05a/ma343.htm

Steven Erikson's The Malazan Book of the Fallen has single-handedly raised the bar for fantasy literature. Its full impact upon the world of writing in general probably won't be felt for several years, but for fans of the genre and of the series, its impact is immediate and world changing. After I finished The Crippled God, I closed the book and reflected back upon what I had just read and realized that this series of books is surely the best fantasy series that has ever been written. In fact, I couldn't think of anything even close. However, I took it one step further and asked myself if this once obscure series genre writer from Canada has created the crown jewel of fiction? The answer is, arguably, yes and why not? If you don't believe me, read it and then you tell me the work that you believe surpasses it. I dare you.

In conclusion, reading The Malazan Book of the Fallen is an experience. It will amaze you in more ways then I can predict. I can't put these novels in perspective because it has created its own perspective. The Malazan Book of the Fallen is the series to which all other significant fantasy series will be compared. It may not be my favorite series or even the most popular series in fantasy, but I can say, without a doubt, it is the most masterful piece of fiction I have ever read. It has single handedly changed everything we thought we knew about fantasy literature and redefined what is possible. Fantasy aficionados all know that it is quite possible that we may not ever see a work of this scope and magnitude again. It is the vision of a lifetime and Steven Erikson, with The Malazan Book of The Fallen, has ascended to the pinnacle of his genre and established himself as one of the most visionary authors living today. We can only hope that someday we will see its equal, but I am not holding my breath.

Last edited by troutman; 11-22-2012 at 11:57 AM.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #11
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Read The Saratine Mosaic by Guy Gavriel Kay. First book is called Sailing to Sarantium and the second book is Lord of Emperors I think. Amazing two book series from a great author. The Lions of Al-Rassan is another classic by him. Very underrated author IMO.

Jack Whyte's series about Arthur is pretty good. Skystone I think the first book is?

Those and A Song of Fire and Ice by George RR Martin are probably my favs.

Stardust by Neil Gaiman is a quick and decent read.

I loved the Death Gate Cycle be Weiss and Hickman even more than Dragonlance. Dunno how well its held up but that was solid back when I was a teen.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 11-22-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Flames Draft Watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #12
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
The Malazan Book Of The Fallen

/thread
I'm pretty sure I tried starting this series and found it to be extremely lacking. Maybe I'll give it another go at some point.
Flames Draft Watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #13
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Perdido Street Station
China Miéville

http://www.sfsite.com/07b/ps108.htm

If you're one of those people who avoid the Fantasy genre from fear of even the slightest whiff of wizards or elves, here's a well worthy quest: make haste to where your bookstore stuffs the countless Tolkien spawn and rescue a copy of Perdido Street Station from the mediocre horde. This is a novel that has more in common with the work of that similarly named fellow, Melville, than any mere commercial conjuring of fairyland.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #14
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Read The Saratine Mosaic by Guy Gavriel Kay. First book is called Sailing to Sarantium and the second book is Lord of Emperors I think. Amazing two book series from a great author. The Lions of Al-Rassan is another classic by him. Very underrated author IMO.

Jack Whyte's series about Arthur is pretty good. Skystone I think the first book is?

Those and A Song of Fire and Ice by George RR Martin are probably my favs.

Stardust by Neil Gaiman is a quick and decent read.

I loved the Death Gate Cycle be Weiss and Hickman even more than Dragonlance. Dunno how well its held up but that was solid back when I was a teen.
Guy Gavriel Kay! Can't go wrong with any of his books, but I agree the Sarantine Mosaic is brilliant. Last Light of the Sun, Tigana, Under Heaven, Ysabel... all great.

I am a big fan of Paul Kearney. Also Robin Hobb.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #15
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

I read pretty commerical stuff I guess. Meh
Lord of the Rings
Ice and Fire

More along the historical fiction line but I'm a big fan of:

Jack Whyte
Bernard Cornwell
Jack Ludlow (Republic #1, #2, #3)

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #16
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC in LAX View Post
More along the historical fiction line but I'm a big fan of:

Jack Whyte
Bernard Cornwell
Jack Ludlow (Republic #1, #2, #3)
You should check out some of Conn Iggulden if you haven't yet.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #17
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I tried starting this series and found it to be extremely lacking. Maybe I'll give it another go at some point.
It is horrible and all over the damn place. As a huge fantasy book collector I have all of these books in my collection but I have not read past book 3 because I spent way too much time trying to figure out what the hell is going on and nothing made sense half the time. I just don't get the love for this series at all, it is like a scatterbrain wrote it. Dragonlance is where amost everybody starts. I have read all of Salvatore's stuff too when I was younger. Lately I have been getting away from the magic based stuff. My fav author's right now woud be Joe Abercrombie, Scott Lynch (if he ever finishes...), George Martin, Brent Weeks, Patrick Ruufus, and Mark Lawrence. I probably have close to a 1000 books now.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #18
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It is still solid, Haplo is a pretty cool character. I have read that series at least 4 times over the years. I always thought the lazar were cool too.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:44 PM   #19
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Another recommendation for Wheel of Time. The first 5 or 6 books are amazing, 7-9 are okay, you can skip 10, and then you're near the end so read 11+! I'm currently re-reading the series and am on book 9 and while it slows down here, it's not unreadable or anything.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #20
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
You should check out some of Conn Iggulden if you haven't yet.
I haven't. Thanks a lot.

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote