Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 10:56 AM   #1981
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Sid had a Stanley Cup and a prior final appearance within his first 4 years and (I believe) before his first serious injury.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:57 AM   #1982
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Sid has a history of concussions and neck injuries and a 12 year contract. Anyone not trading for him in the last four years?

Price is the Sid of goalies.
No. I really do not think that he is. Price was for a few years the best goalie on the planet, but as of today that is highly debatable and probably not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 07-11-2018, 10:59 AM   #1983
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The same thing that happens now - we don't win because we don't have a goalie.

So do it.
So if we trade for Price and he plays like he did last season we are in the exact same situation we are now? Except you forgot that you have a $10.5M unmovable asset and have to deal with. Too much money and too much risk for a player with questionable knees and coming off a major concussion.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:07 AM   #1984
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
No. I really do not think that he is. Price was for a few years the best goalie on the planet, but as of today that is highly debatable and probably not true.
One of the best goalies I’ve ever seen. I was certain he would keep it up. I think he can still bounce back (he still has another 6 years based on prime goalie years), but I’m not really sure what the issues are. He looks slow and unmotivated recently.

Bobrovski is the best goalie in the league in my opinion, and he’s played the same for years, and probably has at least another 5-6 years maintaining his level of play.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:10 AM   #1985
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
In: Price $10M

Out:

Bennett - $2.5M
Stone - 3M
Smith - $4.25

That's nearly $10M in NHL dollars changing hands. How doesn't it work?

Replace Bennett and Stone with journeymen vets/prospects - we're talking about our #5D and a middle 6 forward, we can't replace that on the cheap? Especially if we have Price in net?
Because you still have to fit two players on the roster to replace Bennett and Stone. They will likely make nearly a million each.

Don’t know if you’ve noticed but depending on what Lindholm and Hanifin make we may already be in cap trouble. So fitting in another couple million may not be an easy matter. As it is we may have to buyout Brouwer just to fit Lindholm, Hanifin and the other RFAs

And then next season Tkachuk gets a huge raise. That’s where the real problem with Price’s contract starts to hurt
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 11:11 AM   #1986
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Bobrovski is the best goalie in the league in my opinion, and he’s played the same for years, and probably has at least another 5-6 years maintaining his level of play.
And I think he's a UFA after this next season with rumblings he doesn't want to stay in Columbus.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 11:11 AM   #1987
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
One of the best goalies I’ve ever seen. I was certain he would keep it up. I think he can still bounce back (he still has another 6 years based on prime goalie years), but I’m not really sure what the issues are. He looks slow and unmotivated recently.

Bobrovsky is a year younger, but more importantly, has 163 less games on his body. That's two and a half seasons worth of games based on appearing in 65 games. That's a huge benefit to a player's body when it comes to the beating the knees and hips take each and every game.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 11:12 AM   #1988
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Goalie Bob might be moved. he could be the best goal;ie next year.

Now he has a new contract coming up after this season I think (which is why they'd move him). He's only a year younger than Price but a lot less wear and tear I think. But he will get paid.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:14 AM   #1989
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
full tank mode at this point. My Bell subscription to RDS has been cancelled.

How do you tank with Price in net? They are doing it wrong.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:17 AM   #1990
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Bobrovsky is a year younger, but more importantly, has 163 less games on his body. That's two and a half seasons worth of games based on appearing in 65 games. That's a huge benefit to a player's body when it comes to the beating the knees and hips take each and every game.
This is a great point. Hell, mine were all toast by 20.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:19 AM   #1991
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
How do you tank with Price in net? They are doing it wrong.
https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/standings#/league
Old 07-11-2018, 11:19 AM   #1992
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's nearly $10M in NHL dollars changing hands. How doesn't it work?
The AAV is bad, but it's term that's the true deal killer. Bennett is up for a small renewal in a season. Smith is probably gone. Stone is gone the offseason after that.

Why are you so fixated on Carey Price? Why not another high end goalie?

Rinne, Bobrovsky, MAF and Varlamov are all UFA when Smith is done after this season, and I'm pretty sure at least two are going to test the market. If Calgary is able to make any noise next playoffs then we would be a very attractive destination for a high end UFA goalie.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:36 AM   #1993
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
The AAV is bad, but it's term that's the true deal killer. Bennett is up for a small renewal in a season. Smith is probably gone. Stone is gone the offseason after that.

Rinne, Bobrovsky, MAF and Varlamov are all UFA when Smith is done after this season, and I'm pretty sure at least two are going to test the market. If Calgary is able to make any noise next playoffs then we would be a very attractive destination for a high end UFA goalie.
Rinne's 35, MAF is 33. I'd take MAF if the term is reasonable on a new contract, though I think Vegas hangs onto him. I don't know how you fit Bobsrovsky under the cap, especially long term, and he's going to want 7 years (or 8 in a sign and trade). I'm betting at least as much as Price. Varlamov is hard to predict because he's played on some bad Avs teams, so his stats are all over the place.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:38 AM   #1994
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post

See, I don't think Smith is gone next year. I think he's going to do 1/2 year deals while Neal is here if Tre will have him.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to theslymonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 12:23 PM   #1995
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Carey Price just had the worst stats of his career last year, he was terrible the whole season, he has a buyout proof $10.5m x 8 contract, he's 31 years old and hasn't been healthy for 4 seasons. the hockey world cringed when Montreal gave him that contract and I'm frankly amazed some flames fans would even consider taking on that boat anchor.

We have a couple of good looking young goalie prospects, keep Smith on one year contracts until one of them arrives
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 12:28 PM   #1996
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

The difference between the best goalie in the league and the 15th best is not significant enough to justify a $10+ million cap hit.

Goaltending is the last position I'd want huge money tied up long term.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 12:46 PM   #1997
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'd rather sign a 35 yr old Pekka Rinne to a 3 yr, 6MM AAV next year than take on Carey Price's contract for free TBH.

And that's an overpayment for Rinne.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:49 PM   #1998
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

MTL would have to retain around 2M or more on Price to find a taker. And I realize he is an amazing goalie when he's healthy. Goalies are just a tough thing to justify spending cap on because they're notoriously inconsistent. Win a Vezina one year and flame out of the playoffs the same year. Too many outside factors affect their success, you can onynpay for what the goalie can control.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 07-11-2018, 12:56 PM   #1999
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My preference would be Talbot to be honest. His age works best, and would just be sweet watching him stone the Oilers.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:56 PM   #2000
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any deal we make has to move Brouwer's contract with it.

So that balances out on Montreal retaining much salary.

Our young center ice depth makes us a good fit for them I think.

To Mtl

Jankowski
Dube
Brouwer
#1 pick

To Cgy
Price ($1 Mill retained)
#2 Rd pick