Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 04-15-2019, 06:10 AM   #501
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Did anyone else struggle to sleep last night with severe anxiety in anticipation of tonight's game 3? It's going to be a long work day.
SmoggyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SmoggyFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 08:38 AM   #502
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone else think that diving call on Johnny is quite possibly the worst call in this playoffs? Like laughably bad.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 08:47 AM   #503
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Does anyone else think that diving call on Johnny is quite possibly the worst call in this playoffs? Like laughably bad.
I can't figure out the physics of how he could have dived.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:53 AM   #504
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

two minutes for not being 6'1", 210lbs.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:54 AM   #505
GeoRock
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoggyFlamesFan View Post
Did anyone else struggle to sleep last night with severe anxiety in anticipation of tonight's game 3? It's going to be a long work day.
Dude, it's not even 9am and I'm dying.
GeoRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:58 AM   #506
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah I think Valimaki comes in too. Need to be able to match Mackinnon's speed.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:02 AM   #507
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I've liked Fantenberg's game. Steady, poised and physical when needed. But I also get the need to get faster. I also see those same qualities in Valimaki. Considering Fantenberg was originally brought in for depth, this could easily be a swap they make tonight.

The tougher call may be to remove Neal's veteran experience in favor of youthful exuberance. Neal's line will be targeted tonight otherwise. Should be interesting.

When is the morning skate?
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:18 AM   #508
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Any word on what time they skate today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:19 AM   #509
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I thought it was bad but the way Johnny didn't argue it much made me think there was probably something the ref saw that I didn't.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:04 PM   #510
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Alright, next game I would like to see David Rittich, Oliver Kylington, Juuso Valimaki and Austin Czarnik in the lineup. Shake some stuff up. Do something else. Peters have been willing to mix it up all season. Would hare for him to get old school stale in the playoffs.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:50 AM   #511
Press Level
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

So, it turns out that the sun did, in fact, rise this morning and the Flames are still in the play-offs. Go figure.
Press Level is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Press Level For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 10:03 AM   #512
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

For what ever reason I am still really confident that the Flames will win this series. Last night had loss written all over it from the start. I see the series getting more calm and the Flames taking over games like they did earlier in the year.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:13 AM   #513
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
For what ever reason I am still really confident that the Flames will win this series. Last night had loss written all over it from the start. I see the series getting more calm and the Flames taking over games like they did earlier in the year.
I hope you're right. But after watching them wilt under pressure like they've done over the last 2 games, I'm not quite as confident. I think scoring first in game 4 is a must. As Peters said in his post-game comments last night, it's tough to get any momentum going when you're constantly chasing the game and allowing the opposition to dictate the play. If the Avs score first, I could easily see things snowballing like they did last night.

Bottom line: Flames need to come out of the gate strong and have a really good 1st period on Thursday. If they skate hard, play smart, and get the early lead, I think we'll be ok.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:17 AM   #514
Toonage

Exp:

FYI - Flames were scheduled to be on the ice at 1:00 today but apparently they may forgo that for video session, reflection and /or drinking *

* made that up, but the rest is accurate
Old 04-16-2019, 10:19 AM   #515
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I hope you're right. But after watching them wilt under pressure like they've done over the last 2 games, I'm not quite as confident. I think scoring first in game 4 is a must. As Peters said in his post-game comments last night, it's tough to get any momentum going when you're constantly chasing the game and allowing the opposition to dictate the play. If the Avs score first, I could easily see things snowballing like they did last night.

Bottom line: Flames need to come out of the gate strong and have a really good 1st period on Thursday. If they skate hard, play smart, and get the early lead, I think we'll be ok.
Last night was a disaster, but did the Flames actually "wilt under pressure" in Game #2? I rather think that once the pressure was on—that is, when Colorado tied the game late in the third period—the Flames responded well. They almost scored in the last minute, and they controlled the OT period.

But I do agree with your last point. They need an early lead—it was the consecutive penalties in the first period that caused them to unravel. Up to that point the Flames played with pace, controlled the puck, drew a penalty and hit a goalpost on the powerplay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 04-16-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 10:42 AM   #516
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm quite surprised the Flames didn't really make any strategy adjustments after game 2.

My best guess is Peter's figured the Flames had an off night in game 2 and still almost took a W. After last night it has to be clear that some adjustments are made. Higher forwards in the O zone, tighter back pressure, more north south passing, and trap the neutral zone to neuter some of that Colorado speed. You'd have to think adjustments are coming after getting embarrassed like that. The Flames haven't given up chances like that since they lost to Pit 9-1. Team has to rally around this loss just like they did at the start of the season. They clearly became rattled in the first period and never recovered- even without the strategy adjustments they had some very uncharacteristic mistakes.

I bet game 4 is a much better game and a tight battle, but I have no idea who wins. Tough to have confidence as a Flames fan right now. I'll say whoever wins game 4 wins the series.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 10:48 AM   #517
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
I'm quite surprised the Flames didn't really make any strategy adjustments after game 2.
Based on the timeout and how Peters was acting towards the team, I'm guessing there were significant changes the team just didn't bother to follow. He looked like he was saying something akin to "Well. What did you think would happen when you play this way?"
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:52 AM   #518
Toonage

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Based on the timeout and how Peters was acting towards the team, I'm guessing there were significant changes the team just didn't bother to follow. He looked like he was saying something akin to "Well. What did you think would happen when you play this way?"
And then they got worse. Yeesh.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:56 AM   #519
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Avs are looking like a dangerous team right now. They have a lot of confidence and are playing relentless and fast hockey. Calgary is looking the exact opposite. Amazing how things change in the playoffs. Seeing the same thing in Tampa - 1 team elevated there game and the other has yet to.

when thinking about roster tweaks, i really don't know what Peters can do. Arguably the most impactful players have been they guys you'd usually see rotate in/out. Maybe Valmaki on the back-end but who do you realistically take out in the forward group?
Old 04-16-2019, 10:58 AM   #520
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

That game last night was shocking after they let game 2 slip away. I almost would have expected that result if the Flames would have won game 2 but all the comments about the Flames needing to be the desperate team and pushing the pace in game 3 gave me hope they would have a better effort last night.

Good thing about the playoffs is momentum can easily swing game to game and if the Flames get the split we are still in good shape to win the series. We are the better team they just need to remember that and play with more confidence and urgency.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote