Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2019, 11:51 AM   #1581
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Uh, did you not read the article?

He lived in his mother's retirement home's non-existent basement to recoup $900 a month because he loves his mother, you unempathetic cretin.
I hope his mommy was reporting that rental income. I wonder if the CRA is planning on having a look at those taxes?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:22 PM   #1582
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Uh, did you not read the article?

He lived in his mother's retirement home's non-existent basement to recoup $900 a month because he loves his mother, you unempathetic cretin.

As much as I find him sleazy, we should at least try to stay accurate.

Quote:
A staff member at the retirement community said over the phone that the bungalows do not have bedrooms in the basement, just a single bedroom on the main floor. Wolf said the unit where Kenney's mother lived did have a finished basement, as he noted in his earlier statement.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:25 PM   #1583
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I hope his mommy was reporting that rental income. I wonder if the CRA is planning on having a look at those taxes?

Whether or not you agree with Kenney, his politics, or his scheduling; I don't think attacking his mother regarding her private tax filings is a good look.
crazy_eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:31 PM   #1584
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_eoj View Post
Whether or not you agree with Kenney, his politics, or his scheduling; I don't think attacking his mother regarding her private tax filings is a good look.
The OP didn’t say anything bad about Kenney’s mother
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:43 PM   #1585
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Infrastructure Minister, Calgary MLA Sandra Jansen won't seek re-election

Quote:
She’s the fifth Calgary NDP MLA to announce they won’t contest their seat in the upcoming provincial election.

Polls have suggested the NDP badly trails the official opposition UCP in the run-up to this spring’s provincial vote.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:55 PM   #1586
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is going to be a bloodbath.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:09 PM   #1587
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know who to vote for. I hate them all.
The candidate for the UCP was door knocking this past weekend, so I chatted with him for a bit.
Seems nice on a personal level, and at least has lived in the riding for a fairly long time.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:13 PM   #1588
Wiggum_PI
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Jansen doesn't want to be humiliated in the election. There were lots of angry constituents when she crossed the floor to the NDP.
Wiggum_PI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:26 PM   #1589
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

As much as I hate to say it, Kenney will be our bozo Premier. It will be a total bloodbath as well.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:32 PM   #1590
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I don't know who to vote for. I hate them all.
Probably the Alberta Party... At least I won't have to hold my nose. But yeah, not totally sure what to do on this either.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:38 PM   #1591
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
As much as I hate to say it, Kenney will be our bozo Premier. It will be a total bloodbath as well.
In many ways that says a lot about the NDP's soon to be short-lived tenure.

Or is it your conviction that they did such an amazing job during their time in office that many of their membership feel its 'Job Done' and that theres no need to run again?

It appears much more like 'Rats Abandoning a Sinking Ship' than 'Mission Accomplished.'

If the NDP are going to be washed out so thoroughly then it would stand to reason that they largely have only themselves to blame for it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 01:49 PM   #1592
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone said to me this morning that they will be not be voting on party lines but will instead vote for the candidate from any party who they think will be most competent.

Interesting perspective.

I think it's an excuse for them not to vote for a party they are aligned with but whom have nominated a lesser individual in their riding.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:50 PM   #1593
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Confirmation that the NDP internally knows they are going down to rump status. The most opportunistic, me-first, sanctimonious, attention-seeking MLA in the NDP not running means she knows she would soundly lose and is sparing her public profile that humiliation.

This way she can sit this one out, do something in the private sector, see which centre-left party emerges from the ashes of the next election and if that party happens to have good prospects in the next election then she'll join that party and run.

She's only in this game to be cabinet minister or better and she can't do that in opposition or not in the leg to begin with. That's why she joined the PC dynasty in the first place, tried to run for leadership when it was out of government, and then instead of joining the Alberta party or the Liberal party which aligned better with the 'ideology' she was positioning herself to have when running for the PC leadership, she went hard left to the NDP because it would have been impossible for them not to make her a cabinet minister with their dearth of capable talent.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 02:05 PM   #1594
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ My prediction was very myopic and now my crystal ball is predicting a run at the mayors office in the next civic election for Sandra if Nenshi decides to move on. That would be perfect for Sandra. Simply running for city council wouldn't be high profile enough for her ego.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:16 PM   #1595
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

A short-lived tenure in the Alberta Legislature is most definitely an indictment on the NDP performance, but the NDP was simply a rolling snowball in an avalanche of crap thrown at the province by market forces and political activism. I think we can all agree any political party would have had an uphill battle with the new reality of Alberta's economy.

I don't think anyone is expecting anything but a UCP government, but Mr. Kenney better get all of his skeletons out of the closet. All of these bozo eruptions - both party and leader - is like being about to win a marathon race as the clear winner and repeatedly slamming your shins into the pavement voluntarily for no discernible reason before crossing the finish line.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:27 PM   #1596
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
In many ways that says a lot about the NDP's soon to be short-lived tenure.

Or is it your conviction that they did such an amazing job during their time in office that many of their membership feel its 'Job Done' and that theres no need to run again?

It appears much more like 'Rats Abandoning a Sinking Ship' than 'Mission Accomplished.'

If the NDP are going to be washed out so thoroughly then it would stand to reason that they largely have only themselves to blame for it.
Neither.

The NDP has done a good enough to deserve a 2nd term but the fact is this province is so conservative there was almost nothing they could do to get re-elected
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 02:37 PM   #1597
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1087412476772110338
Old 01-21-2019, 03:02 PM   #1598
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Neither.

The NDP has done a good enough to deserve a 2nd term but the fact is this province is so conservative there was almost nothing they could do to get re-elected

Not really, and you're being way to simplistic.

The NDP tombstone will read self inflicted on a lot of levels.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:04 PM   #1599
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Probably the Alberta Party... At least I won't have to hold my nose. But yeah, not totally sure what to do on this either.

Its funny, because in all of this turmoil where the Alberta Party could have really establish themselves as being in the race. They've been incredibly quiet. I almost don't take them seriously anymore because they seem to be completely on the sidelines and directionless.

Plus Mandel is a complete moron.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:05 PM   #1600
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Neither.

Evidently not.

This Province wasnt 'Too Conservative' to Elect them in the first place, but somehow magically the Demographic has shifted wildly in the last 4 years?

Then again, not taking responsibility is pretty much the NDP M.O.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: