Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2019, 03:10 PM   #1521
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah how come people just come out with the generic "in favour of combatting climate change" but there is never calls from the same people to ban, or greatly restrict airline travel, or consumption of foreign foods/meat, or do anything else that would meaningfully address climate change? I guess because it is easy?
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:13 PM   #1522
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
So what's the solution then? Sit on your hands until everyone all agrees at once to start taking action? It's gotta start somewhere.
Subsidize R+D in the Billions of dollars to find ways of removing CO2 from the atmosphere at an economic price or geo-engineering solutions to prevent the warming affects from occurring in higher atmospheric concentrations of CO2.

Trying to solve the tragedy of the commons is a fools errand.

You cannot solve this problem on the demand side.

Carbon Taxes if they were agreed to on a global scale (or at least charged on imports and exempted on exports) would also be a good path forward.

Last edited by GGG; 01-17-2019 at 03:16 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 03:20 PM   #1523
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

They are currently reducing their carbon footprint by 1% a year, but to reach their target they need to be at 3% a year.

So they'd better get to removing cars and trucks and replacing them with bikes or buggies (Oh maybe not because Horses fart). Force people to turn off their furnaces and electricity.

To me the bottom line is a lot of what we do in Canada is symbolic, it really is, because frankly as a country we're a pretty low emitter.

Vancouver doing a massive people crushing and killing reduction is symbolic and meaningless, because of the mass emitters around the world that won't change and are doing real damage.

I guess if Vancouver wanted to make a difference or BC, they'd close up their coal mines and stop shipping that product around the world. Which wouldn't again make a difference because the countries that use coal heavily would frankly find another supplier.

And Canada reducing to meet their Paris Targets (which we won't be able to do without gutting our economy) isn't going to make a significant difference.

I don't know what the solution is, but making announcements to make yourself feel better as a city is nothing.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:21 PM   #1524
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1083835790604423168
Old 01-17-2019, 03:22 PM   #1525
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
This should be in a thread called "Crazy Sh't BC says". But I'll leave it here...

https://www.timescolonist.com/vancou...ncy-1.23603093

Looking forward to closing down the existing TMX line.

I like the idea of making transit free for anybody under 18. I would drive a lot less if they did that in Calgary.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:26 PM   #1526
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Subsidize R+D in the Billions of dollars to find ways of removing CO2 from the atmosphere at an economic price or geo-engineering solutions to prevent the warming affects from occurring in higher atmospheric concentrations of CO2.

Trying to solve the tragedy of the commons is a fools errand.

You cannot solve this problem on the demand side.

Carbon Taxes if they were agreed to on a global scale (or at least charged on imports and exempted on exports) would also be a good path forward.
I don't agree with that entirely. There are changes we could make on the demand side through more open-minded cultural shifts in both personal and corporate environments. The obvious ones I often bring up are for companies to start allowing more workers to work from home, reduce business air travel by holding meetings over Skype, etc.

The biggest issues we have, whether addressing climate change from either approach, are the predominantly neo-liberal economic policies in both the international and domestic spheres which highly discourage collective action.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:26 PM   #1527
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the best thing they could do is sell as much LNG to China as possible. Then do what GGG said. Then build a wall.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:26 PM   #1528
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Would rather see a tweet that said "because we care so much about Albertans and how we plan to fix things, here is our platform so you may review, rationalize, and ask all the questions you have about it, to which we will respond to all of them." This just comes across as they don't have it ready or aren't willing to be transparent about it, in which I would call shenanigans since they've had about 18 months since the party formed.

Platforms are basically the most essential thing to have on-hand in an election assuming you aren't just going to vote for the color of t-shirt.

For the record, I would hope the NDP and AP would do the same thing.

Last edited by Ozy_Flame; 01-17-2019 at 03:28 PM.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 03:27 PM   #1529
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I like the idea of making transit free for anybody under 18. I would drive a lot less if they did that in Calgary.
It already is likely free for everyone under 18 because I don't think any of those people pay taxes. It's their parents who pay the cost of transit through the combination of taxes and most likely pay for their bus passes too.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:30 PM   #1530
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
It already is likely free for everyone under 18 because I don't think any of those people pay taxes. It's their parents who pay the cost of transit through the combination of taxes and most likely pay for their bus passes too.
Nope. Children 5 and under are free, youth 6-17 pay $2.35/fare.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:35 PM   #1531
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
I mean most climate scientists are also sounding the alarm and saying we're 10 years or less away from climate catastrophe. How exactly is it "crazy" for cities to openly acknowledge that?
It is entirely logical for Vancouver to recognize that it will be impacted by climate change. It is also entirely illogical for Vancouver to try to address that by reducing its carbon output. Local response should be focused on mitigation. Let the bigger entities that matter focus on reduction.

Last edited by SebC; 01-17-2019 at 03:43 PM.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 03:46 PM   #1532
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Nope. Children 5 and under are free, youth 6-17 pay $2.35/fare.
So that just means that for those between 6-17, it's not free, just heavily subsidized by their parents and other tax payers...
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:56 PM   #1533
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
So that just means that for those between 6-17, it's not free, just heavily subsidized by their parents and other tax payers...

If you take a look around Calgary, the buses and trains aren't exactly brimming with youth. If you make it "free", they're not really experience a major dent in profits. As it is currently though, I have my adult pass, but I am not going to spend $2.35 each way for 2 kids to run an errand with them somewhere, it's cheaper to drive and pay parking if applicable.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:57 PM   #1534
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So what's the solution then? Sit on your hands until everyone all agrees at once to start taking action? It's gotta start somewhere.
Has Victoria fixed the raw sewage into the ocean yet?
The
Not sure where Victoria and Montreal are on that issue. Not trying to jerk chains, legitimately unsure.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:27 PM   #1535
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
The
Not sure where Victoria and Montreal are on that issue. Not trying to jerk chains, legitimately unsure.
Regrettably we're in the process of building a sewage treatment plant as mandated by the feds, even though the majority of the experts (marine biologists, etc.) have stated that it's completely unnecessary and probably constitutes more of a strain on the environment than the current setup.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 01-17-2019, 05:49 PM   #1536
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
The
If you support pipelines you should support dumping raw sewage in the ocean. Both are the consensus best method of dealing with the products. The science backs pipelines, it also backs dumping sewage in the ocean.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 06:07 PM   #1537
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

I can't wait to re-register in Alberta for the specific purpose of cancelling out Captain Crunch's vote with my own.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 07:01 PM   #1538
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 01-17-2019, 07:05 PM   #1539
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

That car should be renamed for Trudeau. There is so much misdirected criticism of Alberta’s situation at Notley when Trudeau / the Feds should be getting 100% of it.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:19 PM   #1540
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
That car should be renamed for Trudeau. There is so much misdirected criticism of Alberta’s situation at Notley when Trudeau / the Feds should be getting 100% of it.
I'll go as high as %90.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote