Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2018, 12:33 PM   #261
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Regular season champ hosts - how would that work? think of the logistics around having this tournament. Pretty sure Moose Jaw would have been unable to make that happen in a months time, as much as I'd like to have seen them get it.

previous year's playoff champs host, - That would be Seattle, they were worse than the Pats this year, coincidentally the team they beat in the finals last year.

etc, etc. - Nothing else works. The tournament is big enough that it needs more a year to plan. And it has to sell tickets. This is Jr hockey, not the Grey cup, There aren't enough die hard fans that will go every year regardless of who is in.

If Regina wasn't hosting, which they are doing a fantastic job of btw, and Everett made it instead of Swift, I would doubt they would get 2000 to a game.

It was a hard sell even with the host team being in.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 12:44 PM   #262
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Regular season champ hosts - how would that work? think of the logistics around having this tournament. Pretty sure Moose Jaw would have been unable to make that happen in a months time, as much as I'd like to have seen them get it.

previous year's playoff champs host, - That would be Seattle, they were worse than the Pats this year, coincidentally the team they beat in the finals last year.

etc, etc. - Nothing else works. The tournament is big enough that it needs more a year to plan. And it has to sell tickets. This is Jr hockey, not the Grey cup, There aren't enough die hard fans that will go every year regardless of who is in.

If Regina wasn't hosting, which they are doing a fantastic job of btw, and Everett made it instead of Swift, I would doubt they would get 2000 to a game.

It was a hard sell even with the host team being in.
Not to mention that since they started doing it this way the host team has won the Memorial Cup 10 times in 35 years.

So, easy math that's 1 in every 3.5 years and they only really have to win it once in every 4 years to get their fair share.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:29 PM   #263
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I just think the host should earn it, not married to one system. Previous regular season champs or EC Cup champs would still give a year to plan. I'm not talking about awarding the memorial cup a few months before it happens. Maybe all three CHL regular season champs from the previous year could have a pre-season tourney. Totally just throwing darts but basically the current system sucks lately in the dub, the last 3 hosts have been middling eastern teams that had no right playing in the tournament.

Even if a previous season's championship teams falls off and is not competitive, at least that franchise earned it on merit, not a slimy backroom popularity contest vote.

As it stands it's a free pass to some pretty undeserving teams lately. They've had stretches where they've picked good teams with a chance to win but lately in the dub it's been a steady stream of duds since Vancouver, Brandon I was on the fence on but at least they weren't as bad as the last 3.

Last edited by Matty81; 05-22-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:46 PM   #264
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe there should be more emphasis on winning the league title and realize this is not the be all, end all trophy.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:17 PM   #265
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

WHL champs have lost their last eight games and have just one title (Oil Kings in 2014) in the last decade. We're getting our arses kicked. We have too many teams and too tough a travel schedule. Our boys get worn out by the grind.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:55 PM   #266
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sam Steel is putting on a passing clinic. Kid is unbelievable to watch.

Nick Henry has 3.. no hats on the ice. Weird if you ask me.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:52 AM   #267
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Sam Steel is putting on a passing clinic. Kid is unbelievable to watch.

Nick Henry has 3.. no hats on the ice. Weird if you ask me.
Regina is a football town, not a hockey town.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:07 PM   #268
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll be surprised if some NHL team doesn't take a flyer on Max addock with a 6th or 7th round pick this year. Good size and ability whos only got better as the year went on.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:33 PM   #269
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Paddock is standing on his head keeping the Pats in it. What a beautiful glove save he just made too!

Old 05-30-2018, 04:44 PM   #270
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Colin Preistner is an idiot, I'm going to applaud# him though for hiring Mitch Lowe as the new Blades HC.

#Not only has Love paid his dues, he can communicate, motivate and tactically coach. Don’t kid yourself, Love had MUCH to do with Everett’s success in 2017-2018.#

Old 06-16-2018, 09:38 PM   #271
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Hurricanes have issued a statement involving an incident with 2 current players (Jordy Bellerive and Ryan Vandervlis) and alumnus Matt Alfaro, who are in hospital being treated for various injuires that happened in the incident.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:53 PM   #272
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1008177464437161984

It doesn't give any details. I hope that all involved will be okay.

Last edited by Buff; 06-16-2018 at 10:00 PM.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:57 PM   #273
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Geez. Hopefully not too serious.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:01 PM   #274
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Really hoping all involved are alright.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:14 PM   #275
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Read on WHL Whiteboard forum that one or more of them "fell into a fire at Wong's stag". This was not sourced nor confirmed and was posted as an "I heard"

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/whlm...ns-t79345.html
Old 06-16-2018, 10:44 PM   #276
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

@GlobalLiamNixon:
JUST IN: Details on the @WHLHurricanes situation involving @jordybellerive, Ryan Vandervlis, and Matt Alfaro: Sources have confirmed all three were injured at a fire that happened at a stag party they were attending. One of the three is in critical condition. #yql #Lethbridge

Old 06-16-2018, 10:54 PM   #277
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh my. That is ####ing terrible.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:38 AM   #278
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only update I could find this morning.

Quote:
The Pittsburgh Penguins have been in direct contact with prospect forward Jordy Bellerive since he was injured in an incident on Saturday night. Assistant general manager Bill Guerin has spoken with Bellerive, who is in good spirits and expected to make a full recovery.

The Penguins ask for your thoughts and prayers for the continued recovery of Bellerive and Lethbridge Hurricanes teammate Ryan Vandervlis, and former teammate Matt Alfaro. Their health is our first priority. The team will not have any further information until more details are available.
Link

So it seems like it is either Matt Alfaro or Ryan Vandervlis who is currently in a medically induced coma.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:37 PM   #279
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

RCMP released a statement. I'll try to find the link later. Somebody tossed a substance into the fire and am explosion occurred and three males were near the fire.

My friend who is a billett to one of the Hurricanes said that one young man's life has changed forever due to silly decisions.

Before the RCMP statement I told my wife either somebody threw gas on the fire or they were hopping over a bonfire.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:51 AM   #280
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://lethbridgehurricanes.com/arti...layers-alumnus

Vandervlis is the player in the medically-induced coma.