Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2018, 12:05 AM   #221
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anholt has done a fantastic job since taking over for the Canes. They were a laughing stock for years. Since he took over three yesrs ago they've won a division title, 2nd place twice, and made two straight trips to the 3rd round.

And yeah next years team should be highly competitive again. Need to find a solid goalie but lots of returning impact forwards and dmen.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:48 AM   #222
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the OHL my Kitchener Rangers lost to the Soo Greyhounds 4-3 in 2OT in Game 7. It was a barn burner of a series. The Greyhounds are a very tough and fast team, I think they may be faves to win it all.
OHL Final has the Hamilton Bulldogs taking on the Soo.
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2018, 09:22 AM   #223
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, I want the Flames to get a 2nd round pick and draft Calen Addison. It'd be nice to have a Flame prospect to cheer on my team for once, plus he's really ####ing good. I wanted them to take Bellerive last year, and nobody ended up drafting him but Pittsburgh went out and gave him an ELC and he blew up this year with 46 goals and 92 points.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:23 PM   #224
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton 3 View Post
Morrison has looked great. I will not be surprised if he lands a contract after this display.

!
You nailed that one. Morrison signed a 3 year ELC with the Kings this afternoon. He deserved it, too.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 02:56 PM   #225
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thats awesome and goes to show what a decent opportunity can do for those who take advantage of it. Have to wonder if he gets an ELC if he finishes the season in Vancouver with the same production. Probably not.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:15 AM   #226
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

At #130 overall, Regina just made their 2nd pick of the draft. Some other teams already have made 9 picks. That is all you need to know about how awful they are going to be 2, 3, 4 years down the road.

Hughie Hooker has to be the name of the draft.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:46 AM   #227
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Anholt has done a fantastic job since taking over for the Canes. They were a laughing stock for years. Since he took over three yesrs ago they've won a division title, 2nd place twice, and made two straight trips to the 3rd round.

And yeah next years team should be highly competitive again. Need to find a solid goalie but lots of returning impact forwards and dmen.
And they snagged Zach Stringer in the draft today, can't believe he was still available at 9. Local kid with loaded tool box, over PPG in AAA Midget this year, was named top forward at the Telus Cup last week... a 16 + 17 year old tournament. Just not sure where he projects for the WHL level. I have watched Zach a ton over the last 3 years and he continues to impress, hockey sense, skill, patience and work ethic.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 05-03-2018 at 05:18 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek Sutton For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2018, 12:09 PM   #228
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any scouting reports on number 1 overall Dylan Guenther? He seems like a scoring machine but that seems a bit high given what I've read elsewhere on the kid.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:21 PM   #229
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
And they snagged Zach Stringer in the draft today, can't believe he was still available at 9. Local kid with loaded tool box, over PPG in AA Midget this year, was named top forward at the Telus Cup last week... a 16 + 17 year old tournament. Just not sure where he projects for the WHL level. I have watched Zach a ton over the last 3 years and he continues to impress, hockey sense, skill, patience and work ethic.
Aw man that looks like a real solid pick.

30 points in 23 games as an underage AAA player?

I don't think too many 14 year olds go to the Telus Cup either, never mind pull down top forward honors.

EDIT: He's ranked 7th in all of the AMHL in points per game, and is the only U15 of the bunch. (Also note that last years Cane 1st rounder Noah Boyko was ranked 6th in points per game in the AMHL)

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 05-03-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:22 PM   #230
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
In the OHL my Kitchener Rangers lost to the Soo Greyhounds 4-3 in 2OT in Game 7. It was a barn burner of a series. The Greyhounds are a very tough and fast team, I think they may be faves to win it all.
OHL Final has the Hamilton Bulldogs taking on the Soo.
HAHA

wait, I shouldn't laugh so soon *quietly shuts up*
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2018, 02:00 PM   #231
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Any scouting reports on number 1 overall Dylan Guenther? He seems like a scoring machine but that seems a bit high given what I've read elsewhere on the kid.
Amazing gesture as Oil Kings brought up Scott Thomas (one of their scouts), father of Evan Thomas who passed away in Broncos crash, to make first overall selection on behalf of the team.

As for Guenther, high end hands and shot, has a great ability to create opportunities for himself and his teammates. Raw goal scorer. For a team that's struggled to score goals the last few years I believe it was a smart pick. Only time will tell.

The Following User Says Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2018, 10:16 PM   #232
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a finish in Swift Current! 4 unanswered goals for the Broncos to come back and win 4-3 in OT. Series tied 1 going back to Everett.

Unreal save by Skinner when they were down 3-1, no idea how the puck didn't end up in the net.

Old 05-05-2018, 11:29 PM   #233
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Highlights here.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SCBroncos...233024/video/1
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:58 PM   #234
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Skinner with a 32 save shut out and the Broncos are now one win away from winning the WHL Championship and heading to the Memorial Cup.

That's 3 straight wins, and a 3-1 series lead.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:54 AM   #235
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looks like a done deal at this point.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 03:34 PM   #236
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

So the Blazers G.M., head coach, assistant coach, and player personnel director, all gone today. This is quite the shakeup.

@JonKeenNLSports:
Blazers announce changes to hockey operations. Don Hay is retiring as head coach. More coming...

Stu MacGregor will not be back with Blazers. Will join Dallas Stars scouting staff on amateur leve.

Matt Recchi will not be renewed for next season as Director of Player Personnel as well.

Assistant Mike Needham also will not be back. It’s a full house cleaning today. #Kamloops @blazerhockey

Old 05-11-2018, 11:06 PM   #237
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Giorgio Estephan rings one off the bar. Score remains knotted 2-2 in the 3rd.

Sean Richards converts at the other end shortly after. Riley Sutter adds another shortly after.

The Broncos had 9 minutes to erase a 2-goal Everett lead. (Noah King did get one back, Everett added 2 empty net goals) That's hockey for you. Back to Swift Current for games 6 and 7.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:13 PM   #238
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gawdin with 2 goals and 2nd star in the loss. Also 6 of SC's 16 shots.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:01 PM   #239
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unbelievable.

With 0.6 seconds left in the first, Aleksi Heponiemi scores for the Broncos and the home team has a 2-0 heading into the 2nd.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:23 PM   #240
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Unbelievable.

With 0.6 seconds left in the first, Aleksi Heponiemi scores for the Broncos and the home team has a 2-0 heading into the 2nd.
Good.

Hope they close it out.