Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2018, 01:11 PM   #421
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord View Post
Tweet from Kris Versteeg on the Calgary Sun headline.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1025562620282064896
And hes damned right. Preach on Mr. Versteeg!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:53 PM   #422
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hope the Flames, Stamps, Hitmen and Roughnecks refuse all interview requests and ignore all Postmedia reporters in media scrums. Does Postmedia have any real reporters anymore anyway?
Old 08-04-2018, 02:23 PM   #423
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

What's a newspaper? Are those still a thing?
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:48 PM   #424
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
What's a newspaper? Are those still a thing?
Yes, hence the response here and on social media.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:36 PM   #425
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
In all fairness to The Sun, the publication exists primarily to entice poor people to vote for policies against their better interests by misprepsenting issues that are pro-business as being universally positive and by redirecting their hate at immigrants, natives, people even pooerer than them, public servants, and those with serious issues such as drug addiction and mental illness. At it's core, it a morally reprehensible propaganda print and it's embarrassing it exists insofar that our society has monetized something so integral to democratic society as print media and put it in the hands of charlitans. It's incredibly sad that the only two newspaper publications left with sufficient integrity to be worth reading in this country are the Toronto star and globe and mail, neither of which are owned by post media.
This is utter codswallop, clearly written by a knee-jerk Leftist living in a Leftist bubble, whose only contact with ‘poor people’ probably comes from being waited on at fast-food joints, or seeing the odd panhandler in the streets – but I'll come to that in a bit.

I'll tell you why the Sun exists:

1. It's a newspaper that does not slant left in a city with a large base of right-wing readers. I have known many people who considered the Sun junk, but chose to read it because they would not pay for a paper that they considered a propaganda rag for the opposite side. The fact that you consider the worst propaganda machine in the country, the Toronto Star, as having ‘sufficient integrity’ to be ‘worth reading’, only shows your own extremism. You are blind not only to how your political opponents think, and what they think, but to the fact that they think at all.

2. It's a tabloid. Tabloids were designed for easy reading on buses and trains, in waiting rooms, and at restaurant tables. The Herald was a broadsheet, which made it physically inconvenient for such purposes. The management of the Herald (I used to know a few of them) were arrogant beyond belief in the days when the Sun was started, and thought they were the only newspaper in town and people ought to read whatever news they chose to print, in whatever format they chose to print it in. They were continually dumbfounded that anyone would choose a different newspaper, especially for a trivial reason like actually being physically able to read it while commuting. A senior Herald editor explained to me that only an idiot would ever read a tabloid, because an intelligent person would automatically know the correct way to fold and re-fold a paper to read on the bus. But many thousands of readers disagreed, and left off reading the Herald simply because it was inconvenient to them and the Sun wasn't.

(Meanwhile, in Britain, where a much larger percentage of the work force commutes by mass transit, all the papers, including the very left-wing Guardian, abandoned the broadsheet format decades ago to be more convenient for their readers. The Herald refused to understand this point.)

As for ‘enticing poor people to vote for policies against their interests’, I suggest you find out what the interests of poor people actually are. Try asking some. There are intelligent poor people, there are educated poor people, and they are not a mass of moronic automatons to be pushed around by the newspaper business. Nor does any newspaper in a market economy exist for such a purpose. Save the conspiracy theories: there is no Pravda or Völkischer Beobachter in the English-speaking world.

If you want to know what poor people believe their interests are, ask some. I guarantee you will be either surprised or contemptuous, because they will not agree with what you believe they ought to think.

Last edited by Jay Random; 08-04-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Jay Random is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jay Random For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2018, 04:03 PM   #426
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
In all fairness to The Sun, the publication exists primarily to entice poor people to vote for policies against their better interests by misprepsenting issues that are pro-business as being universally positive and by redirecting their hate at immigrants, natives, people even pooerer than them, public servants, and those with serious issues such as drug addiction and mental illness. At it's core, it a morally reprehensible propaganda print and it's embarrassing it exists insofar that our society has monetized something so integral to democratic society as print media and put it in the hands of charlitans. It's incredibly sad that the only two newspaper publications left with sufficient integrity to be worth reading in this country are the Toronto star and globe and mail, neither of which are owned by post media.

But sure, let's all get worked up over a Troy brouwer headline.
This is utter bs, everyone knows poor people can't read and don't vote, and even when they do manage to pry themselves away from their fast food and magic box stories long enough to try, they somehow spoil their ballots by selecting too many boxes.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:04 PM   #427
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
This is utter bs, everyone knows poor people can't read and don't vote, and even when they do manage to pry themselves away from their fast food and magic box stories long enough to try, they somehow spoil their ballots by selecting too many boxes.
Gee, is that what I was doing wrong?
Old 08-04-2018, 04:34 PM   #428
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I hope the Flames, Stamps, Hitmen and Roughnecks refuse all interview requests and ignore all Postmedia reporters in media scrums. Does Postmedia have any real reporters anymore anyway?
Ya thats the solution, get hard working reporters and others to pay the price for one idiot editor.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:43 PM   #429
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Ya thats the solution, get hard working reporters and others to pay the price for one idiot editor.
I see nothing wrong with it. The paper is making them pay for it, not the teams. They can still cover the games, write and print their stories.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:43 PM   #430
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not an original opinion at this stage of the thread, but yes, a ridiculous headline that I voiced my displeasure over within the channels available, as well. Embarrassing all around.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:45 PM   #431
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
The reporters with brains are deserting the sinking ship as fast as they can, and finding work in industries with a future. I can't work up a lot of sympathy for those who stay on board.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:51 PM   #432
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

They have several that are quite good.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:01 PM   #433
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
They have several that are quite good.
I'm sure you're right. I probably shouldn't lump the reporters in with the management for that rag.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:24 PM   #434
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Classless headline, but honestly good riddance
Old 08-04-2018, 05:42 PM   #435
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe Brouwer was building a house in Calgary before he was even a Flame, I suspect a house will go up for sale after that headline.

I couldn't stand Brouwer as a player but the editor of that classless rag should be tarred,feathered and fired
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:47 PM   #436
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I believe Brouwer was building a house in Calgary before he was even a Flame, I suspect a house will go up for sale after that headline.

I couldn't stand Brouwer as a player but the editor of that classless rag should be tarred,feathered and fired
I believe he chose to build in Calgary to begin with because his father, who lives in Calgary, had recently suffered a stroke and Troy wanted to be close to him.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:05 PM   #437
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord View Post
Tweet from Kris Versteeg on the Calgary Sun headline.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1025562620282064896
Oh Cormac Versteeg. Right idea. It’s ‘have’, not ‘of’.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:11 PM   #438
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Oh Cormac Versteeg. Right idea. It’s ‘have’, not ‘of’.
https://www.sciencealert.com/people-...cientists-find
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2018, 09:38 PM   #439
ASP#26525
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
100% proud to be a jerk. At least I don't (always) look like a complete idiot in my writing, and I have close to zero respect for people that spell badly. His tweet made me cringe.

In other news, I realize I will be alone for the rest of my life and I'm perfectly happy with that. People who spell poorly can ###### the h-e-double-hockey-sticks off--I personally want nothing to do with them (and they probably want nothing to do with me either, so it works).
ASP#26525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:44 PM   #440
trublmaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASP#26525 View Post
100% proud to be a jerk. At least I don't (always) look like a complete idiot in my writing, and I have close to zero respect for people that spell badly. His tweet made me cringe.

In other news, I realize I will be alone for the rest of my life and I'm perfectly happy with that. People who spell poorly can ###### the h-e-double-hockey-sticks off--I personally want nothing to do with them (and they probably want nothing to do with me either, so it works).

this poste maid mee laff
trublmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to trublmaker For This Useful Post: